Newbie want to start hobby. Help ......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie want to start hobby. Help ......

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

if u r starting out n wan 2 keep cost low,try looking for 2nd hand stuffs,...of course not the safest n best way,but 1 of the cheapest way...

charger...
hmmm,...
i'm using the KO bx213mh now,a decent charger,can charge from 1-10 cells n i use it 2 charge my AA re-chargable batts as well...
soon will b using the CDC v6 also...hehee...
Old 11-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Hey again Newbie!!

Ok, electric touring car is a great place to start and learn more about RC.

If you're going for all new stuff (highly recommended), here's just my humble opinion on what you'll need to get started quickly and within budget....(ok...maybe a bit over!)

a. Car Kit : Get a new Tamiya TA04r (its got all the goodies at a reasonable price). Price is approx $250-300 (anyone please correct me if I am WRONG! a bit out of touch with the market!). Some kits come with bodyshell, there's a version which doesn't.

The X-ray is a little on the expensive side, and quite a bit of setup equipment is required becoz of the pivot ball suspension system. Its good, but slightly ex!

b. Radio : Get a Futaba MJ or Sanwa MX3. Inexpensive but good. U can upgrade to a better steering servo later.

c. Electronic Speed Controller : Don't skimp on this one. Get something good so that you won't have to upgrade next time. LRP has pretty good ones : F1 Pro (for reverse if you need too!) or the 7.1 (no reverse). U got to do some soldering here so be prepared for that. The new Futaba speed controls (MC400 / MC600) are also not a bad choice. TRY to get one without a motor limit.

d. Get a 1 or 2 packs of 2400 mAH NICD cells. They are relatively cheap, easy to maintain and have more than enuf runtime. If you want so splurge a bit, the Sanyo 3000HV's are the next higher rated cells, but you got to get a NIMH capable charger.

c. The charger : many many options here. AC/DC, DC 12V only etc, prices can vary from $100 to $400++ here. Try and get one with peak detection and can charge with at least 5 Amps, best to get one with a automatic discharge feature as well. The Speed EX14pro or similiar charger is a pretty ok start.

d. Motor : You'll need a motor unless you want to run the stock silver cans which are a little slow. You can get machine wound mod motors for around 50-60 bucks from yokomo or other manufacturers and these are pretty good.

......THERE!! Welcome to EP Touring Car RC!! Maybe a bit over budget but a good starting point for a fun play machine which is also competitive for racing!

Whatever you do, remember to HAVE FUN and ENJOY urself!!
Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by newbie
Sorry guys. I was busy with school. Anyway I want to go to Electric Touring car. So from my observation X ray and Tamiya is the most popular cars around now. So how much i have to spend for 1 complete set of kit. Let's say including the controller, battery,charger and car ? $600 can or not ? Who are the trustworthy sellers in this forum ? Thank you once again. I see that this hobby is picking up. I used to play the frog by tamiya last time.
You got PM
Old 11-22-2002, 06:02 AM

Default Stock Racing

Hello All

Since this sectin is so hot and very hard to see so many enthus around and people supporting this hobby, Very glad. Keep it up!

BTW correct me if I'm wrong. Why no body race stock class ( Stock Motors) in S'pore?

It is an extremely competitive class in Australia here where I work and in States too but just seems that there is to interest in S'pore.

I'm a S'porean working in OZ.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Stock Racing

Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Hello All

Since this sectin is so hot and very hard to see so many enthus around and people supporting this hobby, Very glad. Keep it up!

BTW correct me if I'm wrong. Why no body race stock class ( Stock Motors) in S'pore?

It is an extremely competitive class in Australia here where I work and in States too but just seems that there is to interest in S'pore.

I'm a S'porean working in OZ.

Cheers
Yes, there are stock class racing in S'pore, the Kawada series which I think it was 1 years ago was a big hit, and than there's the Tamiya series which ended not long ago, all were using 23T stock motor. There might be a Tamiya stock series next year, details still not confirm yet I think, heard from ppl that it will change to a mod class.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

mayb they should have another class for mod...
Old 11-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

newbie: i highly recommend u start with a tamiya kit (like raygun mentioned, a ta04r will be good). anyway i think 90% of rc electric drivers all started with a tamiya.
with the exception of the 414 and tb evo, their cars are a very good, reliable and durable brand to introduce newcomers to the hobby.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah.... i agree with Kyew. I started out with Tamiya TA01 then slowly go to TB EVO. But you are lucky Tamiya kits no adays dun need to hop up so much. so less cost for you.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you Retrotamiya,Kyew and everyone else. I appreciate your feedback. I think I get the TA04R for the moment. Anyone selling ?
Old 11-25-2002, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default charger

u all selling charger??? sms me at 93881015 thanx
Old 11-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

How about GP??
you guys never mention GP cars...

I am a newbie to this hobby too.. just started about 3 months now.. I bought a Kyosho Alpha Ten Rally GP.. had many hours of fun trashing it..

To start off with GP.. i think a V-one-s is a good car for beginners..
very reliable.. what do you guys think? Coz i myself own a V-one-S too..
Old 11-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi I am new too and I want to play 1/8 buggy. anyone wish to sell his ? what is good for buggy ? what brand ?
Old 11-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

go and look under the thread RC stuff for sale.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:24 AM
rko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default start-up?

hi, i juz also starting up this hobby and perhaps can share how i utilise my budjet.

car- 2hand xpress pro for $120

servo- borrowed from a fren a servo he not using.

ESC- cheap 2 hand 1 for $30

miscelleanous- about $100

motor- came with the car a 540 stock motor.

charger- used ex14 pro for $80

transmitter- use mini-z tx. only $30. cause i play mini-z so reuse the tx.

receiver- borrowed form fren not using AM radio anymore

battery- 3 pack used sanyo 3000 himh for $120

total about $450.

looks cheap but at least my car can move. And get to know the pro better cause they might be able to provide u with a thing or two