Search

Thinking of converting to shaft drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thinking of converting to shaft drive

Hi,
I have a stock TA-05 now and I am thinking of converting over to the more durable shaft drive chassis like the TT-01. I use my car mostly for runs in the park and occasional drifting, but not competitively. Also thinking of doing a rally conversion. Is it a better idea to swap to a shaft-drive? Reason for converting is because rocks keep wearing out my belt.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

bro, just my 2cents, a TA-05 is more 'upgrade-able' then a TT-01. I felt that TA-05 is better then TT-01. More things for u to tune, adjust to suit ur driving style. I too run belt driven cars for a very long time. Played drifting at MPH but my belt had never worn out before. Not too sure for touring.

Maybe u want to check ur belt tention?? just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My 2 cents bro. If you are planning to do a rally car. Shaft drive will be better like tt01 or ta02 (old tamiya chassis). Lift up your suspension and put some tamiya rally tires. Your good to go.

Your ta05 will not last long unless you will be able to find a way to seal/cover your belts. Besides, ta05 are not designed to be a rally car. It's more for touring as you have a lot adjustments/settings to play with. Goodluck with your plan.. :-)
Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

If your are really keen on getting a rally car.. why not just get the proper one instead of converting the TT01. Maybe you want to take a look at the Tamiya DF03 RA or the most latest Tamiya XV-01.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by japong
My 2 cents bro. If you are planning to do a rally car. Shaft drive will be better like tt01 or ta02 (old tamiya chassis). Lift up your suspension and put some tamiya rally tires. Your good to go.

Your ta05 will not last long unless you will be able to find a way to seal/cover your belts. Besides, ta05 are not designed to be a rally car. It's more for touring as you have a lot adjustments/settings to play with. Goodluck with your plan.. :-)
Originally Posted by xentar
If your are really keen on getting a rally car.. why not just get the proper one instead of converting the TT01. Maybe you want to take a look at the Tamiya DF03 RA or the most latest Tamiya XV-01.
+1.....
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Had the XV01 pro myself. A good car for both rally and on road. A simple swap of tyres and ride height is all that's needed. Though heavy, but is a tank. Survived many crashes and tumbles and it still survive
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your input guys! Found out more about the XV-01 and will probably be converting to it. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by breakbruce
Thanks for your input guys! Found out more about the XV-01 and will probably be converting to it. Thanks!
U can rry df03ra.too it is a shaft drive rally.chassis converted from df03 buggy
Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wilron
U can rry df03ra.too it is a shaft drive rally.chassis converted from df03 buggy
I'll consider that as well. Thanks!