Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shaft-driven cars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

RX-7:

Are you sure it is the ring gear and the bevel gears making the noise? I suspect it is more likely your outdrives and the dog bones making the noise.

As for torque steer - I'm one of those people who don't really notice it so can't comment.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

torque steer...
i'll try 2 explain,dun shoot mi if i make a mistake...

it happens normally on shaft-driven cars,it's like when ur car alignment is tuned properly,but under acceleration,the car will veer 2 1 side.this is bcos of the shaft...

u will need 2 tweak ur chassis veri well 2 eliminate it...
Old 10-03-2002, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is because of the motor position lah. Notice that all shafted cars have their motors mounted on a different axis. The inertia of the shaft is not significant enough to cause the chassis to twist to one side. When running a 'shafted' car, and if it is properly tweaked, you should have no problems with torque steer when you are running on medium to high traction tracks. You need ONLY to worry if you are running on low traction tracks. Settled?
Old 10-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry Kenneth, torque steer or torque reaction has little if anything to do with the motor position.
Granted the motor is quite a heavy piece of equipment, however on STATIC balancing its weight can be compensated for with battery and electronic placement. The problem arises when there are ROTATING masses involved. Now, image a shaft driven car, where the shaft drive is rotating clockwise when viewed from the back, the troque reaction from this rotation will cause the right side of the car to be loaded whenever the shaft is accelerated.
The reverse happens when the car decerates. So there is a reaction force in the lateral direction whenever there is fore aft weight transfer... not easy to drive but can be compensated for.
Now for belt drive cars, there is also troque reaction but its working in the other axis of the car, causing fore and aft pitching. FYI, for the proto-type Trinity electric Reflex built by Josh Cyrul, the motor was made to run in REVERSE to take advantage of its torque reation, the reverse motor cause the car to pitch ever so slightly forward on acceleration ( enhance on power steering)
Old 10-04-2002, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by KiwiKid
RX-7:

Are you sure it is the ring gear and the bevel gears making the noise? I suspect it is more likely your outdrives and the dog bones making the noise.

As for torque steer - I'm one of those people who don't really notice it so can't comment.

hmm... maybe...
but the knocking effect seems more like up n down rather than left to right
n it comes from the differential
the teeths on the outdrive r very small, even it slips, i dun think will create such strong knocking effect.

hope u understand wat i saying, i not so good at explaining
Old 10-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by NightKidZ
Sorry Kenneth, torque steer or torque reaction has little if anything to do with the motor position.
Granted the motor is quite a heavy piece of equipment, however on STATIC balancing its weight can be compensated for with battery and electronic placement. The problem arises when there are ROTATING masses involved. Now, image a shaft driven car, where the shaft drive is rotating clockwise when viewed from the back, the troque reaction from this rotation will cause the right side of the car to be loaded whenever the shaft is accelerated.
The reverse happens when the car decerates. So there is a reaction force in the lateral direction whenever there is fore aft weight transfer... not easy to drive but can be compensated for.
Now for belt drive cars, there is also troque reaction but its working in the other axis of the car, causing fore and aft pitching. FYI, for the proto-type Trinity electric Reflex built by Josh Cyrul, the motor was made to run in REVERSE to take advantage of its torque reation, the reverse motor cause the car to pitch ever so slightly forward on acceleration ( enhance on power steering)
Sorry NightKidZ, I think I DID memtion the spinning AXIS of the motor. Anyway, the motor has an amature spinning inside... remember? I think the inertia of the carbon fibre shaft should be neglegible when compared to the inertia of the motor amature. Right?
Old 10-07-2002, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Hi RX-7,
I think you better strip your whole car down and check whether your small counter bevel gear which connects the front and the rear gearbox through the shaft is not damaged as you mentioned before that when you corner left or right, the car will make noise.
I suspect that either one of the small bevel gears at the gearbox is damaged/worn out. Or either that your ball differential is damaged. Cos I drive TB EVO and TB 01 and I had this problem before