Wiki Posts
Search

Totally Newbie Checking for Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Totally Newbie Checking for Info

hallo,

I am a total newbie here to the world of RC. I was recently introduced to RC 1 week ago. Hope to join the gang. I actually bought a china brand type stock 1:10 EP RC hard-cover car ...the speed according to the guy who sold me says that the speed can go to abt 20km/h but can upgrade to abt 50km/h. So I upgraded to a more powerful motor....still waiting for my car actually at this point in time. Should be ready in 1-2 days time.

My questions are:

1) What is the avg max speed of a EP car, stock and also modified?
2) The china type RC cars are hopeless isit cos it is made of lousy plastic so very easy to break?
3) What is the difference between MSC and ESC? How much is a ESC?
4) Can I actually go to the tracks (eg. BK) and play with my China brand RC? I do feel like inferior leh cos i like using china brand whereas everybody over here in the forums talk abt tamiya, serpent or Kyosho etc. All expensive brands.
5) How long does a normal battery last? I bought a AA sized 8 pack battery that is 9.6V with 1700mah each battery. Normal Jap EP cars battery last how long?
6) So I guess with the china brand car cannot join any competition lah, right?
7) So to invest in a resonable EP RC car including modifications, how much to invest? I also need to have at least 45mins playing time. No point so powerful then only play for 10 mins.
8) What other things do I need to look out for when buying a EP car?

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Tech Addict

First of all, Welcome!! (another one about to fall to the dark side )

First and foremost,

Checkout this site, have a good read, then make a decision, EP or GP?

http://www.gettingstartedinrc.com/

then

go here to ask questions when you've decided.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=20137

Cheers and happy reading!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Just curious.... where or which shop did you get the 1/10 car with hard body shell that runs on 9.6V 8 AA size batts?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Hi WeWe

just wondering, how much did you pay for your car and where did you get it from? Why the delay in getting the car, the shopkeeper upgrading the motor for you?

Answers to your questions :

1) Stock class motored cars are about 30 odd Km/h. Modidied class ones are 40-50 plus. Do note that I am talking about hobby RC cars here.

2) There are two types of RC cars, toys and hobby level. The type of plastic is just one of many factors.

3) ESCs gives virtually stepless trottle control... you can have half trottle, 75%, 78% etc. MSCs can only give up to 7 steps (full forward, medium forward, slow forward, neutral, full reverse, medium reverse, slow reverse).

4) I doubt anyone will stop you from trying out your car on BK's track. There may be some people with barbed comments about your car, just ignore them.

5) Again I need to stress that I am talking about hobby-level RC cars here, these cars last about 5-10 minutes depending on state of tune. Hobby cars use sub-C cells which gives much better performance than AA cells.

6) There are no official competition for such cars.

7) There are presently no hobby level electric RC car engineered to run for 45 minutes continuously. After 10-15 minutes, the motor and electronics NEED to cool down, failure to do so will result in damage. Your best bet would be a brushless setup but it's not cheap, expect to pay abt 400 plus just for the ESC and motor.

Cheers