Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Anyone remember a little RC shop in Thomson Plaza in the late 80's? >

Anyone remember a little RC shop in Thomson Plaza in the late 80's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone remember a little RC shop in Thomson Plaza in the late 80's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Anyone remember a little RC shop in Thomson Plaza in the late 80's?

The shop name was Trend (or Trend Electronics). The period was roughly from 1987-1992.

It was located on the 2nd floor of Thomson Plaza, located directly opposite KFC. Where it was – it should be directly above where DBS Bank is now.

The little shop used to retail computer games and RC equipment. They had Tamiya, Marui, Kyosho and Yokomo kits, Parma aftermarket parts, and even Trinity motors. That's on top of the Nintendos and Segas they used to sell.

It was owned by a kind man called Jack, who ran the shop together with his wife. I was one of the few 'team' members, just a teenager back then, and we bought all our kits and parts from Trend, and we'd all go racing together.

We used to race in Ang Mo Kio, at the Kebun Baru racetrack (it's now become a large grasspatch). I remember my last buggy was an AYK Boost, now probably sitting in an old cardboard boax my parents' attic with a Kyosho FWD Maxxium, and a few other Tamiya buggies, including an on-road Honda NSX.

Being a pre-Facebook, pre-Email, pre-MSN and pre-mobile phone era (awful), we haven't been able to keep in touch. So now, I'm trying to find the old RC friends I used to know again –*from an era when RC was way hotter than computer games.

'Team' members included:
•*Jack (owner of shop, used to drive a maroon Hyundai)
• Carl Chen (used to drive a sexy Nissan Fairlady)
•*Lawrence (half Japanese/Singaporean, went through airforce)
•*Peng Hua (studied Electrical Engineering)

And:
• A dude who used to go 'oops oops oops' whenever his buggy was about to crash (lived across from Thomson Plaza)
•*A dude who rode a motorbike, but never had any buggies, he always joined us for our weekend races, using his honk for a start signal.
•*A sergeant dude
•*A dude who had a hot sister (ha ha, back then, that is)

My callsign used to be 'Katun'. I'm trying to see how all of them are doing.

If anyone has knows who they are and how to contact them – or if any of the characters I've mentioned is lurking in this site – contact me at my email directly: [email protected]

Those were the most memorable RC years of my life and I would like to get in touch with them again.

It's been more then 20 years. It's been a long time coming.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wah... i miss those mini 4WD races held at Thomson Plaza.... miss that dirt track at AMK too.... those were the fun days playing with my Tamiya Vanquish, Terra Scorcher and Astute...
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xakiat
The shop name was Trend (or Trend Electronics). The period was roughly from 1987-1992.

It was located on the 2nd floor of Thomson Plaza, located directly opposite KFC. Where it was – it should be directly above where DBS Bank is now.

The little shop used to retail computer games and RC equipment. They had Tamiya, Marui, Kyosho and Yokomo kits, Parma aftermarket parts, and even Trinity motors. That's on top of the Nintendos and Segas they used to sell.

It was owned by a kind man called Jack, who ran the shop together with his wife. I was one of the few 'team' members, just a teenager back then, and we bought all our kits and parts from Trend, and we'd all go racing together.

We used to race in Ang Mo Kio, at the Kebun Baru racetrack (it's now become a large grasspatch). I remember my last buggy was an AYK Boost, now probably sitting in an old cardboard boax my parents' attic with a Kyosho FWD Maxxium, and a few other Tamiya buggies, including an on-road Honda NSX.

Being a pre-Facebook, pre-Email, pre-MSN and pre-mobile phone era (awful), we haven't been able to keep in touch. So now, I'm trying to find the old RC friends I used to know again –*from an era when RC was way hotter than computer games.

'Team' members included:
•*Jack (owner of shop, used to drive a maroon Hyundai)
• Carl Chen (used to drive a sexy Nissan Fairlady)
•*Lawrence (half Japanese/Singaporean, went through airforce)
•*Peng Hua (studied Electrical Engineering)

And:
• A dude who used to go 'oops oops oops' whenever his buggy was about to crash (lived across from Thomson Plaza)
•*A dude who rode a motorbike, but never had any buggies, he always joined us for our weekend races, using his honk for a start signal.
•*A sergeant dude
•*A dude who had a hot sister (ha ha, back then, that is)

My callsign used to be 'Katun'. I'm trying to see how all of them are doing.

If anyone has knows who they are and how to contact them – or if any of the characters I've mentioned is lurking in this site – contact me at my email directly: [email protected]

Those were the most memorable RC years of my life and I would like to get in touch with them again.

It's been more then 20 years. It's been a long time coming.
I remember you. You had a heavily modified Kyosho Maxxum with Yokomo Super Dogfighter rims. I remember Jack and his wife Queenie, they have 2 kids too, a son and daughter. Do you remember a guy call Shuming who lived at Bishan? I managed to "bump" into Carl and Ronnie Ang at Daddyhobby forum a couple of years ago. I used to go to Trend every weekend, i had the Nikko Brat, AYK Boost, Schumacher Cat XLS, Schumacher Pro Cat, Kyosho Optima Mid Special and Yokomo Super Dogfighter. We used to bash at the open field where Raffles Institution now stands. I remember we took part in the Kerbun Baru races together too. Remember the guy who sold tires that he made himself? The infamous "mini durian" and "pineapple" pin tires? It's really nice seeing you over here.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey there. Thanks for letting me lurk here!

I figured someone from the past would be hanging around here. But I didn't expect a regional moderator You've definitely earned your stripes, i guess!

No, I can't really remember Shu Ming, but I might remember him if I see him. I can't remember Ronnie either... but how's Carl? Do you keep in touch with Jack? I dreamt about him, and our good old RC days, last week, and I felt a need to look up our old friends.

Yes, yes! We used to bash at the field where Raffles Institution now stands. We even built a shelter there once so we could spend a whole afternoon there. It was the best way to pass time back in the days when the world we lived in seemed a lot more backward and dictatorial than we care to believe.

Yes, my Maxxium was modified to the extent it had 4WS... not sure about the dogfighter rims. Too long ago. And yes, I do remember the ill-fitting durian tyres and pineapple tyres which required an awful amount of shoe glue to hold it stable on a rim. Wonder where the moulds are today...

I didn't remember another dude with the AYK Boost other than me. It was a pretty obscure race-quality ride with a nice carbon fibre chassis, but the ball diffs were very poor quality and were always, always slipping. But yes, nice to know you too had the same ride!

Wow you were real lucky! The rest of us couldn't really afford most of the cool rides, like the Super Dogfighter, the Schumachers and Kyosho Optimas. And the Nikkos... they always had sponsored racers on the racetrack to help boost their sales. Very smart. And I think I actually still have the pictures from our RC days...!

Do you keep in touch with anyone I've mentioned? I really want to meet the people I grew up with in the RC world. The days when your batteries could only last 4 minutes on the track, the holy grail of motors were Trinity 13-turn cans and the only safe bet to not losing your car to offending frequencies was PCM. It all seems so primitive now.

However, I'm not based in Singapore anymore. I'm based in Shanghai. I've been collecting the Tamiya re-runs... Hornet, Frog, Rough Rider, Hot Shot. Built 2 RC tanks, Tiger/Sherman No time to build them.

I return in the 3rd week of May, just next month.

Maybe we can meet up? I'll be in SG for one week.

Can you email me directly at [email protected]? I would like to keep in touch with you. It's the first step to re-discovering my RC past!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Singapore ̡͌ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡V
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xakiat
Hey there. Thanks for letting me lurk here!

I figured someone from the past would be hanging around here. But I didn't expect a regional moderator You've definitely earned your stripes, i guess!

No, I can't really remember Shu Ming, but I might remember him if I see him. I can't remember Ronnie either... but how's Carl? Do you keep in touch with Jack? I dreamt about him, and our good old RC days, last week, and I felt a need to look up our old friends.

Yes, yes! We used to bash at the field where Raffles Institution now stands. We even built a shelter there once so we could spend a whole afternoon there. It was the best way to pass time back in the days when the world we lived in seemed a lot more backward and dictatorial than we care to believe.

Yes, my Maxxium was modified to the extent it had 4WS... not sure about the dogfighter rims. Too long ago. And yes, I do remember the ill-fitting durian tyres and pineapple tyres which required an awful amount of shoe glue to hold it stable on a rim. Wonder where the moulds are today...

I didn't remember another dude with the AYK Boost other than me. It was a pretty obscure race-quality ride with a nice carbon fibre chassis, but the ball diffs were very poor quality and were always, always slipping. But yes, nice to know you too had the same ride!

Wow you were real lucky! The rest of us couldn't really afford most of the cool rides, like the Super Dogfighter, the Schumachers and Kyosho Optimas. And the Nikkos... they always had sponsored racers on the racetrack to help boost their sales. Very smart. And I think I actually still have the pictures from our RC days...!

Do you keep in touch with anyone I've mentioned? I really want to meet the people I grew up with in the RC world. The days when your batteries could only last 4 minutes on the track, the holy grail of motors were Trinity 13-turn cans and the only safe bet to not losing your car to offending frequencies was PCM. It all seems so primitive now.

However, I'm not based in Singapore anymore. I'm based in Shanghai. I've been collecting the Tamiya re-runs... Hornet, Frog, Rough Rider, Hot Shot. Built 2 RC tanks, Tiger/Sherman No time to build them.

I return in the 3rd week of May, just next month.

Maybe we can meet up? I'll be in SG for one week.

Can you email me directly at [email protected]? I would like to keep in touch with you. It's the first step to re-discovering my RC past!
We've got lots of catching up to do. I will email you.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Blast from the past!!!

not mine but i used to drool over it...

i also had a optima mid SE and ultima 2wd posters!!

i still have my tamiya falcon (non functional) with me...

i might have bought some nicd battery packs from them!!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
Blast from the past!!!

not mine but i used to drool over it...

i also had a optima mid SE and ultima 2wd posters!!

i still have my tamiya falcon (non functional) with me...

i might have bought some nicd battery packs from them!!

Hello..., it was a 'catching up with good old friends' and what the heck you post your picture here and not even owned by you also...???

You should go and contact Callisto or Mars in the Solar System...

Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Ha ha. The Maxxium was a beautiful buggy. The design was very sleek, very ahead of its time.

But being FF, the acceleration was pretty awful. Very predictable and stable during cornering though –*hardly every spins out, unlike RWD rides. Because of it's front-heavy and had really wide tyres up front, it suffered from massive understeer.

Interestingly, the designers of the Maxxium FF seemed to have left the rear arm setup pretty open –*I modified it to have 4-wheel-steering.

But it still wasn't enough to push it to competition level. Mostly a recreational bashing vehicle, beautifully designed and an oddity at best.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by roychan69
Hello..., it was a 'catching up with good old friends' and what the heck you post your picture here and not even owned by you also...???

You should go and contact Callisto or Mars in the Solar System...

Sorry loh... I will keep quiet then...
Old 04-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
Sorry loh... I will keep quiet then...
Hehehe... Joking with you lah...

Talk about vintage, I love the Tamiya Hotshot when I was a teenager, but at that time I cannot afford to have one...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Katun,

Hahaha.....

I'm the ugly boy you keep on cursing me, i wear spectacle one !!!.....i still remember you, you stay at landed house, around Binchang area.

I'm the one who drove Kyosho Optima MID custom special.

I'm the only one that ever won a trophy from the Kebun Bahru Nikko race......I raced in B Novice, gotten 2nd place with my Super Dog Fighter

Can remember me or not ?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Funkymojo,

I am Shu Ming, last time lived in Bishan.......

What is your real name ?

You drove what r/c car ?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Funkymojo,

Nice seeing you here
Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I used to go there to drool over the RC cars weekly... can only afford mini 4wd cars which I still have with me...