Search

1/8 Gas Buggy electronics

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by free_spirit
Hey guys!
Thanks for your input. I am currently using a Futaba 3PK with FM TX.
So I was thinking to just buy high torque analog servos to complement the
receiver that I have, or to go 2.4G totally with digital servos and all. problem is by doing that would mean a higher investment. So basically I'm just
wondering if going 2.4G it is worth the investment.

Adric made a very good point of 2.4G not having to worry about changing frequency crystals. Thats definately a plus.

Furthermore while viewing RC websites, I noticed that many people used different combinations, for example Spektrum TX with Airtronics High Torque Servos...thniigs like that. Personally, Futaba is the choice for me, but do like to understand why some hobbyists prefer to mix and match.

Dan
hi dan, i'm using 3PKS with the PCM mode. i WAS thinking of going to 2.4GHz too. but end up stick with the PCM as it serve me well. As going 2.4GHz in HRS mode u will need to use all digital servos.
Unless, u r using 2.4ghz in FM mode. u can use both Digital and analogue servos. There will not be any fail safe in FM mode if u wan to use the fail safe u had to buy a external fail safe. PCM and HRS had build in fail safe
u can't go 2.4GHz using PCM mode.

of cos going 2.4GHz with digital servos is the best. but u need to have a pocket to burn...

steering = 13kg and above
throttle = above 6kg should be fine

jus my 0.2 cents
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by J_J4006
hi dan, i'm using 3PKS with the PCM mode. i WAS thinking of going to 2.4GHz too. but end up stick with the PCM as it serve me well. As going 2.4GHz in HRS mode u will need to use all digital servos.
Unless, u r using 2.4ghz in FM mode. u can use both Digital and analogue servos. There will not be any fail safe in FM mode if u wan to use the fail safe u had to buy a external fail safe. PCM and HRS had build in fail safe
u can't go 2.4GHz using PCM mode.

of cos going 2.4GHz with digital servos is the best. but u need to have a pocket to burn...

steering = 13kg and above
throttle = above 6kg should be fine

jus my 0.2 cents

Heya J_J4006

Good to hear from you! I understand what you are telling me and I am actually incluined to stay in FM/PCM but yesterday I was a little confused when
I spoke to Winnie, She told me that we PCM users can actually use Digital servos?! I was under the impression that PCM could only use analog servos.
well if this is true, things would be a lot easier. Upgrading to 2.4G could be done in stages instead of one pocket burning purchase. I would then just concentrate on getting the digital servos and in future change to HRS/2.4G.

Anyone have any views on the difference between Digital and analog servos?
on paper they seem to have very different characteristics but valuble comments given say that they are indistingushable to the human eye.

J-J, are you running 1/8 gas buggy? where do you normally go to play? I am waiting for my buggy to arrive and am now buying the necessary electronics and stuff. Man....trhe tools and equipment you need for GB is more than I expected...

Looking forward to seeing and learning from you guys around after I get my buggy

Cheers!

Dan
Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rlau99
I'm using a china made 2.4G which cost S$200 and it has serve me well over 4 races already. i'm using 13kg Towerpro for steering (its cheap and i have no problem with it) and 9kg for Throttle. These are not pro level equipments but it works for me so far.
Thanks for the advice bro. That sounds like an option worth considering. By the way how much difference in price are they in comparison to other brands like say Futaba, KO or Sanwa?

Dan
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MelvinSeet
Sms me for the receiver.....
If not, you can sell me your transmitter... EX- II look like what... can sent me a picture of tat....

thanks
sorry bro the antique KO transmitters arent for sale. I have them in storage will try to get a pic for you to see.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Heya J_J4006

Good to hear from you! I understand what you are telling me and I am actually incluined to stay in FM/PCM but yesterday I was a little confused when
I spoke to Winnie, She told me that we PCM users can actually use Digital servos?! I was under the impression that PCM could only use analog servos.
well if this is true, things would be a lot easier. Upgrading to 2.4G could be done in stages instead of one pocket burning purchase. I would then just concentrate on getting the digital servos and in future change to HRS/2.4G.

Anyone have any views on the difference between Digital and analog servos?
on paper they seem to have very different characteristics but valuble comments given say that they are indistingushable to the human eye.

J-J, are you running 1/8 gas buggy? where do you normally go to play? I am waiting for my buggy to arrive and am now buying the necessary electronics and stuff. Man....trhe tools and equipment you need for GB is more than I expected...

Looking forward to seeing and learning from you guys around after I get my buggy

Cheers!

Dan
Actually, AM/FM/PCM/HRS can use digital servos. But analog servos will ONLY work on AM/FM/PCM.
u will burn a analog servos if u use it on a HRS receiver, maybe will burn yr HRS receiver too.
Going HRS in 2.4GHz is GOOD ! but if u have a few cars, ALL yr servos need to use digital. The receiver for the 2.4GHz is not cheap too. Around $150 for 1
receiver if i'm not wrong. Unless u don't mind swapping yr receiver around.

yes, i am playing 1/8 buggy and truggy some time drifting. u can find me at
http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...track-561.html or http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...mpines-15.html

Where do u stay? if u stay in the east area. maybe can join a few guys and me at Tampines Track.

Digital servos is better in everyway, touque, speed. It will be able to hold a pull much better than an analog servos.

Anyway, i am using analog servos on my buggy and truggy.
So far so gd. but if i got the $$ i will go for digital servos.
This is a very ex hobby. but i never regret.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default servos

Thanks for the advice bro. That sounds like an option worth considering. By the way how much difference in price are they in comparison to other brands like say Futaba, KO or Sanwa?

Dan
Towerpro's price range from S$20 to S$50 for 9kg to 13kg digital servos. I'm also trying a 16.8kg analog servo 0.18sec/60degree which cost about S$45 and another 11kg digital cordless 0.07sec/60degree at S$90. To me, these are good enough.

Futaba, KO or Sanwa ranges from S$80 to S$200+ depending which model.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Actually, AM/FM/PCM/HRS can use digital servos. But analog servos will ONLY work on AM/FM/PCM.
u will burn a analog servos if u use it on a HRS receiver, maybe will burn yr HRS receiver too.
Going HRS in 2.4GHz is GOOD ! but if u have a few cars, ALL yr servos need to use digital. The receiver for the 2.4GHz is not cheap too. Around $150 for 1
receiver if i'm not wrong. Unless u don't mind swapping yr receiver around.

yes, i am playing 1/8 buggy and truggy some time drifting. u can find me at
http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...track-561.html or http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...mpines-15.html

Where do u stay? if u stay in the east area. maybe can join a few guys and me at Tampines Track.

Digital servos is better in everyway, touque, speed. It will be able to hold a pull much better than an analog servos.

Anyway, i am using analog servos on my buggy and truggy.
So far so gd. but if i got the $$ i will go for digital servos.
This is a very ex hobby. but i never regret.
Great! I can look forward to playing 1/8 buggy with you guys soon, I live around hougang area, so either Punggol or tampines area is ok with me.

By the time I get everything up and running should be the end of October (work, holiday, waitng for buggy to arrive, building it and all that) , so I hope to meet you guys then. First time trying 1/8 buggy so need time to build and break in the new engine, tuning, etc....I'm excited but the $$ is also dissappearing very quickly too

Well should take time and not rush. After all the good advice, I will definately get the digital servos first then slowly over time upgrade to 2.4G .
by the way is Steering/Throttle 13kg/9kg, or 13kg/13kg. which would be a good config? or should I go higher? At this point dont mind having more but dun want to have too little. Was told that another thing to worry about would be RX batt life, if I use servos which draw too much power.
Any comments?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rlau99
Towerpro's price range from S$20 to S$50 for 9kg to 13kg digital servos. I'm also trying a 16.8kg analog servo 0.18sec/60degree which cost about S$45 and another 11kg digital cordless 0.07sec/60degree at S$90. To me, these are good enough.

Futaba, KO or Sanwa ranges from S$80 to S$200+ depending which model.
Woah!! Those prices are fantastic!! Definately worth considering.....although, I would still prefer using Futaba servos (brand perception lah...) but at those prices....definately worth considering.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

sorry bro the antique KO transmitters arent for sale. I have them in storage will try to get a pic for you to see.
bro,

haha... tot you want to let go... i am a ko-propo collected anyway... hahaha....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Great! I can look forward to playing 1/8 buggy with you guys soon, I live around hougang area, so either Punggol or tampines area is ok with me.

By the time I get everything up and running should be the end of October (work, holiday, waitng for buggy to arrive, building it and all that) , so I hope to meet you guys then. First time trying 1/8 buggy so need time to build and break in the new engine, tuning, etc....I'm excited but the $$ is also dissappearing very quickly too

Well should take time and not rush. After all the good advice, I will definately get the digital servos first then slowly over time upgrade to 2.4G .
by the way is Steering/Throttle 13kg/9kg, or 13kg/13kg. which would be a good config? or should I go higher? At this point dont mind having more but dun want to have too little. Was told that another thing to worry about would be RX batt life, if I use servos which draw too much power.
Any comments?
Take your time, if u tends to rush up to get yr car running. u will end up spending a lot at one shot. slowly save up and buy.
BUT talking is easier than done. like wat is happening to me. i keep telling myself slowly save up and buy. but once u step into a hobby shop, u will forgot all those and u will keep taking and taking.
once u see the price, u will

My buggy steering is 13Kg, throttle is 6Kg. Both analog, it works for me.
if u wan more brakes, more Kg to the throttle. 6Kg for my car can lock all the 4 wheels already. yr brakes setup play a part too.
As in RX batt, my can last me quite long. i try full charge b4 and start bashing at 10am until 3pm. of cos will rest in between time. My RX batt is 1600mah. Not sure how long it can last if u r using both digtal servos. maybe other bros can help.

u r most welcome to come down to tampines track to have a look if u r free. normally a few guys and i will start playing from 9.45am every weekend.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Woah!! Those prices are fantastic!! Definately worth considering.....although, I would still prefer using Futaba servos (brand perception lah...) but at those prices....definately worth considering.
bro what bug you playing ?

and how old are you ? we are all old man lei, don be surprise when you see us....
Old 09-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MelvinSeet
bro,

haha... tot you want to let go... i am a ko-propo collected anyway... hahaha....
Wah lan Mel, u 1 tat ugly TX my bro hv 2 EX-I in the storeroom 4 more than 10 yrs liao, both veri good condition. Start ur bidding now !

free_spirit boss, consider carefully & gather more feedback b4 u convert ur Futaba to 2.4 ghz as the RX has a bad reputation of overheating when used in long main - even the 4pk as well !

Originally Posted by Wenbiao

and how old are you ? we are all old man lei, don be surprise when you see us....
CB Biao, u simi meaning ?!
Tell free_spirit(this 1 no gang no.) boss cum ur place la'kopi with u hv meeting & discuss easier lah
**(BTW, b careful when STRANGER start asking ur age, especially in the cyber world). Worst when he likes wearing flowery short
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey, we are young men leh...
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Take your time, if u tends to rush up to get yr car running. u will end up spending a lot at one shot. slowly save up and buy.
BUT talking is easier than done. like wat is happening to me. i keep telling myself slowly save up and buy. but once u step into a hobby shop, u will forgot all those and u will keep taking and taking.
once u see the price, u will

My buggy steering is 13Kg, throttle is 6Kg. Both analog, it works for me.
if u wan more brakes, more Kg to the throttle. 6Kg for my car can lock all the 4 wheels already. yr brakes setup play a part too.
As in RX batt, my can last me quite long. i try full charge b4 and start bashing at 10am until 3pm. of cos will rest in between time. My RX batt is 1600mah. Not sure how long it can last if u r using both digtal servos. maybe other bros can help.

u r most welcome to come down to tampines track to have a look if u r free. normally a few guys and i will start playing from 9.45am every weekend.
That definately sounds like a plan, i hope to maybe see you guys in action before i start. maybe can bring down camera and take photos.

I try not to go down to the hobby shop too often...cos you can never buy enough stuff when you go there, sure one...

I think maybe the 13kg/7kg combo should be enough. Been playing electrics for long time and tried a 1/10 cen gas road car, but it was rubbish. Always wanted to go 1/8 gas buggy for a long time so decided to go for it. now so many things to buy.... servos, rx batts, fuel, starter box, buggy, engine,
but no choice,.....sigh...anyone got a good temp gun?

Looking forward to bashing with you guys
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

hahaha bro lets put it this way...I am Young at heart...... Hope to learn from you "old timers' .....oops.... I meant Professionals...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.