Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Singapore R/C Racers
Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP) >

Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP)

Drift setup for different track conditions (1:10 EP)

Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deathflamer
Is there any good recommendation for drift tire beside T-Drift?
Using Maxconcept medium and hard compound now. Would still recommend to set up your car to T-drifts as our races are organized by Tai Sing and tyres are closed to T-drifts.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silvialite
Haha. Just kidding. But tape is highly not recommended. Get 'better' tyres and you can also fly on the track. =X
i didnt knw it was frowned upon my bad... got a friend whose damn pro at drifting he swears by it hahaha
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jecht
i didnt knw it was frowned upon my bad... got a friend whose damn pro at drifting he swears by it hahaha

Having grippy tyres makes anyone pro at drifting. That's why they always close tyres at competitions. That's when the best really stands out from the rest.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been using T-Drift for awhile on asphalt. I like its driftability, but when its brand new it grips too much. After wearing it out alittle and having it alittle heated up, thats when I like it the most. But sometimes the heat really messes with the drift characteristics and sometimes it'll grip too much, and occasionally the tyre pops out from the rims haha.

Just my 2 cents about T-Drift on asphalt/high traction surfaces.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rocketabyss
I've been using T-Drift for awhile on asphalt. I like its driftability, but when its brand new it grips too much. After wearing it out alittle and having it alittle heated up, thats when I like it the most. But sometimes the heat really messes with the drift characteristics and sometimes it'll grip too much, and occasionally the tyre pops out from the rims haha.

Just my 2 cents about T-Drift on asphalt/high traction surfaces.
Wow. The wear rate must be quite amazing, considering the roughness of asphalt. The max I'll go is smooth cement surface. I want my tyres to last, budget over everything nowadays.

Heat will cause your tyres to have better traction. that's why tourers use tyre warmers.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Silvialite
Wow. The wear rate must be quite amazing, considering the roughness of asphalt. The max I'll go is smooth cement surface. I want my tyres to last, budget over everything nowadays.

Heat will cause your tyres to have better traction. that's why tourers use tyre warmers.
I have been fooling ard with max-concept, unbranded ABS and PVCs on whatever surface i get to use till i got my first set of T-drift. great tires i would say, but seems to wear off faster on basketball/ badminton courts than on asphalt. The T-drift seems to be more lasting compared to the rest or maybe my ride have lost weight from more frequent running. my 1 cent worth
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The type of tires use depend on which surfaces you are playing. What you want to see is a constant flow of drifting.

HPI drift competition most likely using T-drift.
SGDrifters competition will depend on the surfaces.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

So far F2 tires,t- drifts and super drift techs are ok.As for me depends on the floor surface as well.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, i am thinking of putting a high torque motor (rock crawler motor) in my drifter, so that i can run higher FDR, so that i can use less throttle, so that i can use less battery. Possible? Has anybody tried this?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Hey guys, i am thinking of putting a high torque motor (rock crawler motor) in my drifter, so that i can run higher FDR, so that i can use less throttle, so that i can use less battery. Possible? Has anybody tried this?

Sure. How high is your high torque motor?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Haven't got one yet, but i am thinking of 55T.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Nov
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Haven't got one yet, but i am thinking of 55T.
Higher gear ratio will result in more torque, less speed...I think you meant lower gear ratio rite? Cos crawler motor is slow enough...

The change to a higher turn motor will decrease battery consumption, but the lowering of gear ratio increase battery consumption...
Therfore I dun think your battery consumption will be alot lower...Lower abit, perhaps...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Something interesting i found: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=48955

Contrary to what people tend to believe about motors, higher turn motors actually have less torque. So a 55T motor will have more torque then a 85T motor. Why, you may ask? More turns equals more internal resistance. More resistance equals less current consumption, Less current low means less power. It's really pretty simple. Ohm's law. Current is a factor of horsepower.
Torque and wheelspeed go hand and hand. All 540's of equal construction have the same torque. Depending on what voltage you run would determine the wind count. If you go with a 55t Iwould run between 11.1 and 14.4 volts. A 70 turn is stupin in my opinion, if you want your top end to be slower then gear down and that will also give you more torque.At 7.4 volts the 40 turn will have the most torque, the 55t doesn't max out untill slightly over 12 volts. THe 70t is more than that. In my opinion a 27t or the 35t is the best crawling motor for 7.2 volts.
It's all very interesting, it would seem that a geared down 27T- 35T would indeed be a better option in a crawler than a 55T not geared, but you run into higher consumption and shorter run times.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

Sometime too much torque may not be a good thing cause when exiting a corners, your acceleration will become faster (Rules out the car setup). That is quite risky during Tsuiso matches. However if you are able to control well, can gain quite alot of points in aggressiveness.

Find a balance between both top speed and torque will be nice.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, would like to know whats the real difference when it comes to front spools or front diffs...Will there be more understeer or oversteer? Will it be easier to snap back and forth or easier to lose/gain traction? Will easing off the throttle while steering allow the car to continue sliding in the steered direction or will the car gain traction faster? Etc. Etc. Likewise for rear spools or rear diffs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.