News about Tamiya in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News about Tamiya in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Nipple, here's one dilema some of us maybe facing ... I have few Tamiya compounds from last race that are mounted on Non-Tamiya rims. It'll be a big waste if the rims will be restricted ...
Old 02-04-2002, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Nipple,
Here are some reasons why I do not want to use Tamiya Tires hope you can forward them to the race director.

a) Price - 64 bucks, tires rims and inserts. I could be mistaken but usually when I get my tires like sorex 28, 32 I pay less. I haven't tried say Yokomo G2's but I was told it was even cheaper.

b) If for races it seems (disclaimer: i am newbie) that usually to remain competitive a new set of tires per race. Or the more siao on ppl will use like one set for the heats and one set for the mains. I too would like to run one new set of tires per race - because after that I intend to use the tires for normal running around my home track. Then for race get new tires. Hope you get what I mean.

c) About how long the tires can last, I have the type As from the 04 kit, honestly they only lasted me about 2 months before I could see the belt. And I ran about 6 packs per week back then. And only at night.

d) Handling wise the type As very excellent while fresh, but degraded pretty fast... I attribute it to the fact the kit provided soft inserts which probably will wear the tire out fast -> performance go down.

e) I have not tried Type B/B2 which is supposedly for higher temps right? No idea how the performance/handling. IMHO the Type As I tried much better than my Sorex 28.

That's about all I can think off to gripe if worse comes to worst then I just buy the tires and reuse race after race as Nipple suggests.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

I guess the main reason for not supporting the idea of Tamiya rims and tyres....is the cost. Inserts can be recycled, so why get the pack that comes with inserts? Also, with about the same price for 4 tamiya rims, we can get about 8 rims of other brands.
However, nipple, u got a point there if everyone use tamiya tyres, they will be more competitive with each other. This i agree.
If really must use Tamiya tyres and rims.....I stick with my suggestsion.....give special discounts to racers when they buy tyres and rims.
Thanks.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

I agree with kkyeo. Give a discount on the tires and rims and I'm sure everyone will be happy!
Old 02-05-2002, 03:38 AM
GKC
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If its not possible to use other tires, can we at least use other rims which are more durable? How abt inserts?
Old 02-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Ok......
Firstly ......the rule is comfirm....
Only Tamiya Rim,insert and tires allow.....

2. Price ....eg. retail at $64...so street price is usually cheaper.
wheather it will be lower for the race is not up to me.

3. Rims is good enough for electric car. Yes it may break but I
think in gas car.

4. Tamiya tires are actually 24.6mm not 24mm.
Using the original rims is better cos it is not being
compress. So can sit better on rims.

5. The Motor will have a 'much' lower price.(Not comfirm).
Or may be handed out(Price added into entry. So no one can modified them. If you yo break/run in them. May have to do it at the track. So there will be no sercet. Beginners can learn too. This can bring up our standard.

6. Price and lucky draws at the race will make sure you regret not racing because you don't want to buy new Tamiya tires,inserts or rims.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

7. If your tires cannot work, there means it the same for every single one there. So try different setup.

8. Using this rules will benifit beginners or not so rich racer.(Like me)

Put it in these way..
Tamiya got 3 compound .Type A,B and B2. So if Type A and B2 cannot be at anytime of the day. Only one selection Type B can be use and most people should be using it.
But for other brands.says sorex....in the morning 28 is good. later in the day 32 and late afternoon 36. these mean 3 sets of tires for one race. And if you cannot afford, you will lose out.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Points 7 and 8 appeal to me. I'm game for it. Also, if point 2 holds, i.e. the LHS sells at lower price, probably can match the sorex tires I don't mind.

What break in technique?! How about some hints here? Water break in?

~Alvin
Old 02-05-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default To confirm No.5

Or may be handed out(Price added into entry. So no one can modified them. If you yo break/run in them. May have to do it at the track. So there will be no sercet. Beginners can learn too. This can bring up our standard.

Does this mean that we HAVE to buy the motor on the spot?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Probably means is that we pay more for the entry cost and the motor comes with it.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Yes there is right.....
this is the method used in stock class racing all over the world.
You pay a certain entry fee and they give you a motor on the race day and you can only use that given/hand out motor for the race.

Alvin....there are lots of way breaking in .
Eg. water, 'coke' ,cutting fluid, break-in fluid......reverse slave.......
then brush breakin, brush alignment.......

A lot of people got different way.......

Most people who object having the rule on hand out motor may be because they don't want to 'expose' their sercet......Like in the last kawada series......

And 1 extra point of having the rule is to limit the number of motors a racer can use.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Just want to let you guys know...the people who do the race don't earn any extra money....
Yes ....maybe you say Tai Sing Make money...but its the bosses making the money not the worker......They have to use the only off day of the week to do the race.

And sometime after doing the race....go back office bosses also got some negative comments.....it is quite heart breaking.......

So please appreciate
Old 02-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Race

The Tamiya tires are too expensive compared the the Sorex, furthermore most racers already have their Sorex range of tires.

No offence but I think the lucky draw prizes I have seen in Tamiya races are not good. Always see some very old car kits like TA01, TA02 chassis ... ...want to buy spare parts also no more, the boxes looks yellowish and dirty ....left on the shelf for years ...discontinued models .....

Originally posted by Nipple
Ok......
Firstly ......the rule is comfirm....
Only Tamiya Rim,insert and tires allow.....

2. Price ....eg. retail at $64...so street price is usually cheaper.
wheather it will be lower for the race is not up to me.

3. Rims is good enough for electric car. Yes it may break but I
think in gas car.

4. Tamiya tires are actually 24.6mm not 24mm.
Using the original rims is better cos it is not being
compress. So can sit better on rims.

6. Price and lucky draws at the race will make sure you regret not racing because you don't want to buy new Tamiya tires,inserts or rims.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:03 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Cool TA01/02

Wahlau... these discontinued Tamiyas are Collectors Items now!!! Worth a lot of $$$ now... definitely if I got a prize I would prefer to get one of the old kits than to get a brand-new TL01.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: TA01/02

Hi There!

Saw that you are intersted in old cars. I have numerous TA01 and TA02 in different body kits. I supposed i can offer you at lots of $$$ price now.

Want to drop by and view?

Originally posted by WC
Wahlau... these discontinued Tamiyas are Collectors Items now!!! Worth a lot of $$$ now... definitely if I got a prize I would prefer to get one of the old kits than to get a brand-new TL01.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.