Help with Batteries ..

Old 09-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Help with Batteries ..

Hi, i have 2 pack of Nosram 3300 NI-HM Batteries false peaking..the pack i been with me for like 10 mths old..but i hardly use them (probbly 3 times a week or maybe not even once a week of playing)
Usually i store them charged whenever im not playing and cycling them about 2 times a week coz i didnt wan my pack to lost their capacity..

Recently one of my pack start to false peak, after i discharge and charge it back, it peaks at 586 mah..and i try discharge and charge back again, it did the same thing....

My current charger is a T15....any1 can help out with this?..
Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

maybe u shouldn't have store em in charged state. Ya batteries might have lost capacity because of that.. i read articles on battery care, we're encourage to store em after discharging to 0.9v/cell.

if the batteries have been left unused for quite some time, it'll require some cycling twice/day max to retore its performance..=)
Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

I store my NIHM cell about half charge whenever i not decided to play for about a week or so...but now i duno isit bcoz the charger im using is not mend for these type of batteries...

May i ask usually wat is the life span of a 3300 mah NIHM batt? is it normal tat they drop capacity when they are used for a longtime? coz mine was like only 10 mths old and i dun play much..
Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What amp you are charging your battery at?

I also had packs that were false peaking. Try low charging amps. around 0.5amps then set it to cycle a few times
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by darren1156
What amp you are charging your battery at?

I also had packs that were false peaking. Try low charging amps. around 0.5amps then set it to cycle a few times
Before tat i was charging at 3amp, after a few time when the problem still continues, i go 2 amp on charging, it seems is ok now but it false peak once...

So if 2 amp works for me, can i charge the pack back to 3 amp again as i wat do usually?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For now i think you should continuing charging at 2 amps. When it stops false peaking then revert back to 3 amps.

If you are not in a hurry then there wont be anything wrong wit charging at 2 amps then.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

How do you cycle your batteries?
I've managed to revive some under-utilised 3300mAh packs quite successfully by cycling them at 4.5amp charge rate and 10amp discharge rate.
They did show some improvement.
But cycling will never bring a dead pack back to life.

If they're in a stickpack configuration, do consider setting them up as a side-by-side pack so that you can take advantage of a good high amp discharger and equalise the cells. You can also check for dead cells and have them replaced.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Hua
Tech Regular

ok, Thx alot for the advice ^^
Old 09-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hua
Before tat i was charging at 3amp, after a few time when the problem still continues, i go 2 amp on charging, it seems is ok now but it false peak once...

So if 2 amp works for me, can i charge the pack back to 3 amp again as i wat do usually?
It might be difficult for a stick pack configuration but you need to check voltage of each cell in the pack as dead cell result to false peaking of the pack when charged.

Replace dead cells as charging at lower amps will most likely not be much of a help.

Once you can determined all cells to be ok, do check connection between each cell.

Cycle (charge/discharge/equalize) but do provide time for cells in between charges.

Easier to buy a new pack but if you really want to revive your pack this is the way. Hope this helps.