Wiki Posts
Search

Leaking nb16

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Leaking nb16

hi guys.

i just got a NB16 and it's leaking badly.
I've read somewhere people using epoxy to seal up the leak.

Anyone know a thing or 2 regarding the NB16?
Mine leak so bad that I can't even see where the leak come from. (hose, oil tank, pipe or Engin pullstarter..)
Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, once i had the nb16 but sold away coz no time to play it. when i had it also it leaked badly but after changing to the aluminium pipe it leak less but after applying abit of red sealant it stop leaking. hope this help.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

for those who use sealant or expoxy, which part do you guys actually seal?
Red or green?
Attached Thumbnails Leaking nb16-leak.jpg  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vitor
for those who use sealant or expoxy, which part do you guys actually seal?
Red or green?
1st thing, remember to buy a high heat resistance sealant, usually RED in colour. ATV High Tempt sealant is good for the job.

From the pic i can tell that some of the area are already seal by the previous owner. The aread youcircle in blue you will have to applay the sealant and wait for abt 5min before screwing it tight. give it 24 hrs to be set. Area i seal are fuel outlet and crab nipple, exhuat outlet and exhuast niple, base of HSN needle and engine backplate. i even seal the area joint of the exhaust that are held by rubber tube (for most on-road) some model uses spring to held the exhuast. You can seal it like the procedure i mention above before engaging the spring to held it tight.

No matter how you seal there are bound to be some oil leak on the flywheel area when you are not running it that's completely ok. After you sealed all the required are some oil leakis ok as long as your engine performance are not affected.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stonely0
1st thing, remember to buy a high heat resistance sealant, usually RED in colour. ATV High Tempt sealant is good for the job.

From the pic i can tell that some of the area are already seal by the previous owner. The aread youcircle in blue you will have to applay the sealant and wait for abt 5min before screwing it tight. give it 24 hrs to be set. Area i seal are fuel outlet and crab nipple, exhuat outlet and exhuast niple, base of HSN needle and engine backplate. i even seal the area joint of the exhaust that are held by rubber tube (for most on-road) some model uses spring to held the exhuast. You can seal it like the procedure i mention above before engaging the spring to held it tight.

No matter how you seal there are bound to be some oil leak on the flywheel area when you are not running it that's completely ok. After you sealed all the required are some oil leakis ok as long as your engine performance are not affected.
actually the attached pix is not my car.
I took it off the net and crop it just to show the area.
So after all the seal it'll still leak?
Imagin all the sand that stick to your parts due to the leaking nitro.

This is my first Nitro buggy.
Thinking of ordering the alu pipe so it won't leak anymore.

Do all the nitro RC leak a little?
what about those bigger brother 1/8 buggy like the hyper 7?

Thanks again....
Old 10-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

well the leak on the fly wheel area are common but its usually more noticable when the car are not running. It's common as the ARO keep it lubricated. My 1/8 don't leak but my .12 & .15 size engine leaks even though i had seal them but it may be me as i abuse it quite badly.

a little leak is ok i think but serious leak that causes engine performance need to be address
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

well the leak on the fly wheel area are common but its usually more noticable when the car are not running. It's common as the ARO keep it lubricated. My 1/8 don't leak but my .12 & .15 size engine leaks even though i had seal them but it may be me as i abuse it quite badly.

a little leak is ok i think but serious leak that causes engine performance need to be address
ok.
sealant up all the above you mention.
Will fix up the buggy tomorrow.

BTW.
I notice that the gear inside the gear box are all plastic, how durable are those? What type of grease should I apply on them? Normal grease?

What about those 1/8 nitro buggy?
all gear using metal or some plastic also.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

ok.
sealant up all the above you mention.
Will fix up the buggy tomorrow.

BTW.
I notice that the gear inside the gear box are all plastic, how durable are those? What type of grease should I apply on them? Normal grease?

What about those 1/8 nitro buggy?
all gear using metal or some plastic also.
The dif gear (& all gears) on my 1/8 buggy are alloy metal. But i notice that my on road touring sedan are made of plastic but that's not a pro kit so i figure it becos it's cheap. You can always upgrade it by buying the after market hopups. Do not put grease they are usually filled with silicon oil of different strenght. Don't mess with it unless you have difficuity handling the car. To understand more about dif configuration you can do a search in this forum.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Tech Initiate

The dif gear (& all gears) on my 1/8 buggy are alloy metal. But i notice that my on road touring sedan are made of plastic but that's not a pro kit so i figure it becos it's cheap. You can always upgrade it by buying the after market hopups. Do not put grease they are usually filled with silicon oil of different strenght. Don't mess with it unless you have difficuity handling the car. To understand more about dif configuration you can do a search in this forum.
think I've just pick up a very complicated hobby.
Just hope my engine will stop leaking and i'll be a happy man.

btw, you do any upgrade to your nb16?
How's the speed and handling compare to the 1/8 nitro buggy?

Think my next one will be a 1/8 buggy or ST..
what buggy you using?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Anyone know where I can find some 2.5 X 6 screw?
I strip the screw!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Vitor,

There is a club race for 1/8th scale buggy at Turf City.....you might be interested to drop by and watch it? The race is on from 9-6

Cheers
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone know where I can find some 2.5 X 6 screw?
I strip the screw!
Some hardware stores should have them....always get the black HSS ones
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

today? 5th Oct 06
or are you referin to the iracing werk on the 15th Oct 06?

Hmm..
Maybe will go down take a look.

Thanks..
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Its on the 15th.....not 5th.....

Next sunday......
Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

think I've just pick up a very complicated hobby.
Just hope my engine will stop leaking and i'll be a happy man.

btw, you do any upgrade to your nb16?

Think my next one will be a 1/8 buggy or ST..
what buggy you using?
RC are generally very difficuit hobby but as you goes along you will learn pretty fast. Unlike those battery operated remote control cars sold in toy store those are crap. Nitro in RC is another nightmare for beginner but trust me, when you master it it's all about fun.

I'm using an old MBX5 from Mugen but upgrade the parts whenever they wear off and i had a completely new box of the same car as a spare because getting the critical spares oversea cost abot 60% of the new kit. Right now i had enough spares to last me for at least a year before i ditch it and change a new car or maybe upgrade it to a higher level.

what size is your NB16? if it's not 1/8th i will strongly suggest you goes into 1/8 becos that where all the action are. Drop by the Turf tracks as there are more expert there that can help you and they r friendly bunch unlike the on-road scene here. You will know wat i mean as you goes deeper into the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.