Wiki Posts
Search

Reinvigorating "Last Season's Batteries" and an LRP Comp question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Reinvigorating "Last Season's Batteries" and an LRP Comp question

Ok...I'm coming across a couple "issues" lately.

First things first.

I've had my LRP Pulsar Comp for over a year now...yet have kept my Mv peak threshold at 10mv because I do not know the following: Does the LRP Pulsar's Mv peak detect setting go by the PACK or the CELL?

I've heard people say both a dozen times...so I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Secondly...related to the first topic. I have some packs ( GP3300, what else?) I bought last year and ran them a few times in middle '04. They have always been properly charged and cared for...however they seem to only peak at about 2800 / 3000 Mah.

I think I need to put them on some sort of routine to "bust them up" and get them back to where they once were...or at least whip them back into good practice packs.

I also have a feeling my Mv peak detect is way to low (10Mv) and may be why they are peaking so early.

Please set me on the correct path. Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Sean
Old 02-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im using a 10mv on my new promatch cells and they come off warm which i feel is about right.
The setting is for the whole pack, as it can be varied between 5 and 80, 80mv a cell for a whole pack would be rather high!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Post Re: Reinvigorating "Last Season's Batteries" and an LRP Comp question

Originally posted by Soviet
Ok...I'm coming across a couple "issues" lately.

First things first.

I've had my LRP Pulsar Comp for over a year now...yet have kept my Mv peak threshold at 10mv because I do not know the following: Does the LRP Pulsar's Mv peak detect setting go by the PACK or the CELL?

I've heard people say both a dozen times...so I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Secondly...related to the first topic. I have some packs ( GP3300, what else?) I bought last year and ran them a few times in middle '04. They have always been properly charged and cared for...however they seem to only peak at about 2800 / 3000 Mah.

I think I need to put them on some sort of routine to "bust them up" and get them back to where they once were...or at least whip them back into good practice packs.

I also have a feeling my Mv peak detect is way to low (10Mv) and may be why they are peaking so early.

Please set me on the correct path. Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Sean
batteries .. what you can do is . put them on an equalizing tray . like the novak one ,set the cut off at 0.9 per cell .. ( there are others too ) .. that way the cells will be indivually discharged and your pak will feel like new again .. I did that with mine and they came back to life ... give it a try before you take them apart .. also set your mv to 20 and see what that will do for ya ...
Old 02-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Ok...so Berger is telling me that the Pulsar Comp does Mv peak detect by pack...10Mv per cell is a 60Mv peak cutoff...

That sounds high...plus the LRP paper says for GP3300 use 10Mv...but it doesn't specify.

And now MBRACER is telling me to try 20Mv... 20Mv / 6 is only 3.3Mv per cell...

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!

It seems the only responses I get are contradictory. It's a real bummer...

Last edited by Soviet; 02-10-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Soviet
Ok...so Berger is telling me that the Pulsar Comp does Mv peak detect by pack...10Mv per cell is a 60Mv peak cutoff...

That sounds high...plus the LRP paper says for GP3300 use 10Mv...but it doesn't specify.

And now MBRACER is telling me to try 20Mv... 20Mv / 6 is only 3.3Mv per cell...

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!

It seems the only responses I get are contradictory. It's a real bummer...

Huh, im agreeing with mbracer, 10mv is low compared to other chargers, but it works! I would go off the temperature of the cells when you have finished charging, you want them warm but not hot. Thats how i judge if the peak is set correctly. I am meaning 10/mv for all 6 cells so 1.66mv per cell. Not sure if i made that clear.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

One of my race buddies set his cutoff at 30mV. Tropical country where noontime temp can hit 30-31 degrees celsius.

Works for him. I bought two of his year-old GP3300 packs and these were performing fine at stock class. Still hits 3400mAH on the pulsar1
Old 02-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Soviet, you mix things up Berger actually, says the mV rating is per pack - which is true.

So, increasing your peak detect will probably solve your problems.

I'm using 35 mV. 35 / 6 = 5,8, which is close to several matchers recommendations. LRP's manuals are always on the safe side, so dont listen too much to them You might like to check out www.fukuyamaracing.com or some of the other matchers.

Use a themmometer to check the cut off temp. At my experience going from 45 deg. C to 50-55, increases punch noticeably. But I dont like going much higher than 55, due to battery life

So the idea is to start with a rather low mV cut off. Check ct off temp, and eventually adjust mV cut off, untill you reach a reasonably cut off temp.

As batteries wears out over time, it's often needed to inscrese mV cut off sligthly. mV cut off, also depends on ambient temperature.

I cant remember if you got a equalizer board. But if you dont, I highly recommend getting one. It'll both increase battery life time, since it prevents cell reversal, AND improve performance.

Have a nice day, and happy racing
Old 02-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm, 10 mv on Pulsar with 3300 sound extremely low. i'm running the peak on my Pulsar's at 50 mv, most people i know uses 35 though.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

to add my own info (which is thus probably totally irrelevant then
I run 6mv per cell, ie 36 per pack
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Thank you so much for the additional responses guys...I went from 15 to 30 and then up to 50Mv peak detect.

Best results @ 51C was 40Mv cutoff for 6-cell and 30Mv for 4-cell.

Thanks for clearing me up!

And no...I don't have any type of tray yet...matter of fact thats the ONLY piece of gear I have yet to purchase!

So any good suggestions for an INEXPENSIVE tray that will take my cells down to .9v per cell?!?!?!?

Again...thanks to all...

-Sean
Old 02-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

I would either get the Nosram or the LRP discharge board; Actually, they are the same except colour and brand name.

Discharge rate: 3 amps
Indivial cut off @ 0,9 volt.
Price: Very reasonably (approx. 1/3 of the Novak-thingy, maybe less)
It also have LED-s for each cell, which ensure that each cell is properly connected (VERY important, go figure ) and lets you monitor the state of each cell.

The boards aint on their sites yet, though, but avaible in some stores.