Wiki Posts
Search

Spintec Battery Manager

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default Spintec Battery Manager pack discharger

Hi,

Because there was some interest in other threads, I thought I give the Battery Manager its own thread.

The Battery Manager is a special kind of discharger: 35 amps with cooling-down periods. This process works amazingly well, temperature during charging stays lower, packs accept more energy and give more punch. This was tested and confirmed by several racers, including David Spashett and Greg Hodapp.

If you have any questions regarding our products, I will be most happy to answer them here!

Thanks!

Last edited by Erik Jonk; 01-05-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

SO in theroy it is a pulse charger that is very accurate that messures when gasses build up in the cells and pulses the gas out to continue the charge making the pack peak at a much cooler temp?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

nnick: check your PM box!

Mr. Shookie: I have sent you a mail!

Eirik: Should be no problem to have it before the DHI!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Racin_James:
The Battery Manager is a discharger, not a charger. It uses blocks of 35 amps to condition the pack for high power output, followed by a cooling-down block which gives the pack time to dissipate the heat.

Last edited by Erik Jonk; 01-04-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Erik Jonk:
why should we discharge a pack at 35A's?
If we do so, why should we discharge from full charge? Isn't it a waste of battery life?

I like your discharger, it looks like light years ahead of other dischargers out there, but still I don't see anything to gain other than just to check the condition of a pack once in a while.

I suspect you'll be releasing a charger soon? Look forward to that.

Also, are you planning on distributing your products to the Asian market(South east asia, east asia etc)?

Thanks for answering.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Isn't this the same thing the CS Cap Check Pro did but then at 35 amps. I've had a CS Cap Check Pro 2 years ago and it did the same kind of thing at 20 amps.

Checking the CS-site it sounds a bit like the same:
"The Cap Check Pro discharges with 20 Amp pulses. Shutoff voltage can be adjusted from 0.8-1.0 V/cell. The discharge to zero function can additionally be used."

Originally posted by Erik Jonk
Racin_James:
The Battery Manager is a discharger, not a charger. It uses blocks of 35 amps to condition the pack for high power output, followed by a cooling-down block which gives the pack time to dissipate the heat.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Tech Initiate

hello

I don't know about the CS product but i have been using this Spintec discharger for a while now.
After each run i simply use the discharger, this shows me what is left in the pack. Then i use a single cell board to finish the pack. The next cycle on the cells whether it's on the track or on a tester show a lower peak temp on charge and after discharge, with a more constant voltage level (more punch !) but the shut-off of the pack is much more aggressive.
The idea of the discahrger is to clean the cells inside and decrystallize the plates giving a better cell strycture before charging. Lowering the internal resistance and giving a much better overall performance.
David
Old 01-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Erik Or David,

Can this discharger be used on 4 cell packs or is it only for 6/7 cells. If not will something be made that could be used for 4 cell packs.

Thanks,
Steve C.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello
At the moment i have only seen a discharger for 6/7 cells but fingers crossed !!!
David
Old 01-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

OK David thanks for the post.

When racing with mod-motors you normally don't have much juice left in the packs. (at least I don't have )

But is there a noticable difference when you only discharge the pack on the spintec for a few secs. (e.g. 100 - 300Mah)

Or is it then better to do a cycle once in a while?

I clearly see the positive side for stock/spec-racing. With the 3300's packs (and soon even more) you have plenty of juice left. (probably up to 800mah-1500mah depending on the racing class/motor)

Thanks again!
Peter

Originally posted by spashett
hello

I don't know about the CS product but i have been using this Spintec discharger for a while now.
After each run i simply use the discharger, this shows me what is left in the pack. Then i use a single cell board to finish the pack. The next cycle on the cells whether it's on the track or on a tester show a lower peak temp on charge and after discharge, with a more constant voltage level (more punch !) but the shut-off of the pack is much more aggressive.
The idea of the discahrger is to clean the cells inside and decrystallize the plates giving a better cell strycture before charging. Lowering the internal resistance and giving a much better overall performance.
David
Old 01-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Initiate

peter

I have only used the unit after races, plus as we only use 12 turn limit there is more than enough left for the process. I will test out the advatages of a full cycle discharge and let everyone know. But so far i have simply found by just using the discharger after each run makes a difference.
David
Old 01-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is there any pricing at all on this device yet?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Eric, David, I am really interested in buying a discharger with a high Amps.
I was ready to buy the orion one with 30Amps. and then somebody wrote me about this.

I read it and i found it very interested but i have some questions.

1. If i have a fully charged battery and put it in the discharger, at the end it will tell me the capacity, av voltage, discharge time and IR of the battery without taking in consideration the cooling time?? otherwise the numbers will not be correct, because they will contain the cooling period inside.
2. I have read that the best way to discharge a NiMH 3300 battery is with linear discharger, and here we are talking about pulse discharger correct?? is this better??
3. After every discharge of a fully charged battery we have to leave the device to cool down or we can discharge another battery immediately?

Thank you
harris
Old 01-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Harris
I have found the Orion discharger to be a great product for comparative discharges and evaluations.
david
Old 01-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Entropy : 105 Euros in NL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.