Wiki Posts
Search

Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Engines

hi,

Im new to rc cars and have recently got a tamiya merc c-class dtm 2004 car.

I have seen a bit about tune up parts and wondered what difference they would make to the cars performance such as the ball bearing set, alluminium prop shaft, shock unit cylinders and alluminium racing stering set.

Mainly the engine, it came with a rs-540 engine and wondered if the rs-540 sport tuned engine is faster. Or are there any other engines that would work in there as a few of my friends are starting to get in RC cars as well and we are planning on racing them

Thanks for any advice
Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I don't know of any electric cars that use an engine.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

welcome to the site.
if you are just starting out in rc, this WEBSITE is very informative. unfortunatly, there is so many things in rc to know and there only so much room. also try the "Rookie Zone" section in this forum.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Rookie

well i probably mean motor rather than an engine
Old 01-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes there are many manufactures (too many too list) that make motors for EP (Electric Powered) Cars and the 540 sports tuned will give you more power than the stock 540.

First thing you should find out is where you are planning on racing (local car park, carpet or with a local RC club...?) before you rush out and buy parts and new motors to make sure there are not any rules or engine classes you should be adhearing too.

Also before you buy any parts make sure they are for your car chassis. Is it a TT-01, TB-02 etc and ensure any hop-ups you buy is for the right chassis.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

You might also want to check out your local hobby shop that stocks RC cars. They can probably help you out if you are set on getting a new motor and advise you on a good one to get you going. They may also be able to direct you too where other RC enthusiasts gather in your area to race.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

well it is a TT-01 chasis and at the moment its just a few friends geting together so there arent any rules. We will probably start meeting other people localy but not just yet. I'm just looking for a powerful/fast motor/car at the moment
Old 01-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

http://www.dcmotorsports.net/core.html
Try here for a new motor. The lower the number of turns or winds the faster the motor generally is. So a 19 turn would be faster than a 27 turn.

As far as other parts go, have a look on ebay for chassis upgrades. Go into RC cars and search for tt01 and see what comes up.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

You have to ensure that the speed controller you are using can take the power of the motor. It is generally specified by being able to take down to a certain turn motor.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkness
well it is a TT-01 chasis and at the moment its just a few friends geting together so there arent any rules. We will probably start meeting other people localy but not just yet. I'm just looking for a powerful/fast motor/car at the moment
the ESC can not handle much (i.e. anything other than a stock motor)and also Carefull how much motor you put in your car as well...a Mod motor beign anything other than stock will make the bushings inside your car melt.....I have do it so I am going off experience...I still have a TT-01 that my wife uses...It is great to learn on and to get some real driving experience.
Only thing on that car that I would consider is a much have as far as hop ups would eb the following..
Aluminum drive shaft
Different pinion gears
bearings
and if you have the extra cash oil filled shocks with a few different springs as so to tune for the surface you are driving on.
As far as a great tuned stock motor...
The best tuners are as follows
www.teameamotorsports.com Get the Epic based M motor
www.teambr00d.com get the Monster based
www.dcmotorsports.net and yep you guessed it a Monster based motor.
The Monster is the Trinity motor that each of the companies listed have tuned to be the very best it can be.....
I have tried them all...They are all good.
Not being biased but I like EA's motors best.
I hope that helps,
-Shookie <><