Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panasonic/Sanyo Batts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Panasonic/Sanyo Batts

Hi, apart from makers, whats the differences between Panasonic 3000mah matched Stock Metal Hydride and Sanyo 3000mah matched Nickel Metal Hydride.
Which ones would be better for racing stock indoors on carpet, then outdoors on asphalt?
Old 11-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't think it really matters. IMO Sanyo 3000HV's are a good value.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

GP 3300, best cell ever, period!!
Old 11-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

SMH's are mainly used for stock racing as they give out more punch straight away but do not last as long with mod motors whereas NMH's are all round batteries
Old 11-23-2002, 11:26 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Not entirely true.....SMH are very good with mod motors too, why do you not need punch for mod....it is every bit important! In general the SMH have more punch but lose more runtime per battery cycle. The Sanyos tend to hold their nos. better (so I've been told!) but are not so punchy....

When both batteries are new the SMH will "cream" the HVs....

I junked my packs of Sanyo HVs pretty quick before I could figure if they could hold their numbers or not!!......
Old 11-23-2002, 11:27 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

One more thing..the SMH are more sensitive to charger settings....the HVs are less so.

But Stefan has it about right, the cell to go for at the moment are the GP3300.....
Old 11-24-2002, 02:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great, thanks for the replies guys.
so for longevity the NMH and punch from new the SMH, yes?
Are HV's something else again or just what Sanyo call some of their batteries?
At the moment I have some Powers 3000s (3 packs) and they all have different runtimes and speeds, one is definately slower than the others

the cell to go for at the moment are the GP3300.....
until the next best thing huh? or the makers decide they want more money from us guys?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up Dito

GP 3300, best cell ever, period!!
Very Good $~ Performance value Battery
Old 11-24-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Hope this helps clear things up guys.
The SMH's(stock metal hydrides) or UMH(Ultra series)Newwer of the 2 by panasonic have more punch due to Lower IR(Internal Resistance).The Sanyo HV's have more Voltage meaning higher top speeds.This is just a generalazation of the 2 cells.But like everyone says.Dont even mess with either of these cells.GP3300's have great voltage but same or LOWER resistance than that of panasonics but not as sensative.Panasonic's do loose alot of runtime and are the MOST fragile NIMH cell of the 3.Sanyo's are pretty tough cells but I love my GP's.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Count me as another vote for the GP3300's, I have a couple of packs for my 1/12 scale, & they are simply the BEST I've ever seen, great run time, great low resistance, & voltage that's close to the Sanyo HV's, plus they charge & run cool as a cucumber(which is a good indication that they'll last a good long time, I think the heat that the Panasonics generate in charging & discharging are part of why they deteriorate the way they do)....
Old 11-25-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

OK, so Sanyo it is then. I would have thought that 3000s would be fine for stock for me (only been racing couple of months) until i switch to a mild mod motor next winter season.
Thanks guys.
Who makes the GP3300s then?
Old 11-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Now that's funny,

you ask for the best cell, everybody tells you it's the GP and then you go for the Sanyo.

Why did you ask the question then in the first place?

The GP's are made by GP
Old 11-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

i asked this:
Hi, apart from makers, whats the differences between Panasonic 3000mah matched Stock Metal Hydride and Sanyo 3000mah matched Nickel Metal Hydride. Which ones would be better for racing stock indoors on carpet, then outdoors on asphalt?
where do you see GP mentioned in there?

i went for the Sanyo because they seemed to be the preferred ones from the brands i mentioned.
i asked the question because i wasnt sure of the difference between SMH and NMH.
Do i really NEED 3300s though? virtually everyone where i race is running 3000s and aren't in a hurry to change.
bear in mind my newness to this would i benifit from the extra or not? ( cant drive that well yet, hence my reluctance to go for 3300s). or should i consider getting them as a sort of investment.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, Just thought I'd throw in my opinion.

I think the sanyo's are great cells. I have both the GP's and Sanyo's The GP's tend to stay cooler than the sanyo's. Lower resistance overall, longer run times and cheaper to boot!

You can't go wrong either way. Panasonics are good cells too! It's just that the GP's are relatively new comers but have set quite an impression on most folks.

I ordered my batteries from Promatchracing.com. I originally ordered the sanyo's 3300 cause they were on sale. They had sent me the wrong cells so I decided to try them out and boy was I happy. I got the Team Spec cells.. Not really racing but good quality cells right from the beginning make for a better choice.

As for whether or not you should go to 3300's. My recommendation is SURE! why not? your going to buy cells anyways and you might as well get some good ones so you don't have to upgrade like the guys with 3000's will later. Since you're learning to drive I really really recommend the 3300's they last a lot longer than 3000's.

The Sanyo 3000's I have typically run for about 10-15 min medium throttle. I've used these packs for about 7 months and they still hold 3000 mah according to the integy 16x7.

The GP 3300's will last 20 - 25 min same amount of throttle.. and that's on the very first charge! These GP's hold about 3600 mah on the very first charge..

I don't know about the Panasonics but the other two mentions are top quality also. You should give it some thought. GP's are about $45 a pack for 1.13+ 385+ @ 30 amp discharge from promatch. Which I think is damn cheap compared to most other brands.

Anyways, whatever decision you make you'll have tons of fun driving the car. I hope this helps and I hope I didn't give you pointless information considering I didn't mention anything about the Panasonics.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

You should get GP 3300's you can get the better cells for less money, which last time I checked was what most people are going for. The 3300's are cheaper and better so I dont realy see the point in buying anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.