Search
Like Tree10Likes

High traction carpet TC setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default High traction carpet TC setups

I know that petit rc has setups on it, but I am looking for some insight on some gurus in the TC lane as there's this one track that's beating my brain as to get a setup for it as it's the only track i've been to with THAT much traction and i havent been able to get the car to do what i've wanted.

Destiny RX-10S - Bryan Thomas - Bush River Raceway - 12.03.2017

This is my general setup. Things i tried manipulating was a one step higher stiffer springs, adjusting front toe and camber, ride height and droop. I was still lacking a lot of entry steering and mediocre mid steering, exit steering wasnt bad at all. I was able to get my back end to step out how i wanted (which is more of my style of how i like to drive tc).

I've looked at some Yokomo setup sheets and there's few on the BD8, but the BD7 has something that's synonymous throughout which is heavier diff fluid and slightly heavier shock oil.

Anyone have any input they'd like to spill onto me, please? Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Not a guru and stating the obvious but would a more agressive body help?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer
I had the same thought. Something like the Protoform Camaro ZL1 might help out with getting a bit more rotation while remaining predictable.

Other setup things you can do to help would be to stand your rear shocks up a little bit or remove a bit of toe in on the rear.

Roll Center can also impact this, but I don't feel confident enough in my understanding of roll center and how to tune it to give advice yet.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by antlockyer
sorry...i did mean to mention that i switched out this week with a Bittydesign Nardo, it was more aggressive than the Mazda 6, but not stable. I will be trying out the Bittydesign M410 assuming that it's a bit more aggressive but as stable as the 6
Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoshuaRC10
I had the same thought. Something like the Protoform Camaro ZL1 might help out with getting a bit more rotation while remaining predictable.

Other setup things you can do to help would be to stand your rear shocks up a little bit or remove a bit of toe in on the rear.

Roll Center can also impact this, but I don't feel confident enough in my understanding of roll center and how to tune it to give advice yet.
I thought about those things in bold after i left that day.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had the same problem with 3 degree rear toe in: the car is scrubbing speed bad.... I went down to 0 degrees, but have not made it to the track yet.... I have heard great things about 0.5 degrees rear toe in though...My zero degree setup fluctuates between 0 and 0.5 degrees with suspension play anyway...
phatboislim likes this.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 04-11-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

I would also watch kevin kane's video on youtube on going from asphalt to carpet... Lots of info there... I don't have the link, but I think you can find it easily by search rc car carpet setup on youtube...
Old 04-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One last thought, maybe you can try increasing your rear droop a bit to transfer more weight forward on braking. You may get a bit better entry and mid corner stability. If your exit stability is good, don't touch the front droop.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

i messed with rear droop and that didnt give me the effect that i was looking for. fast lap and top 15 remained the same pretty much the entire day. i appreciate it tho
Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim
This is my general setup. Things i tried manipulating was a one step higher stiffer springs, adjusting front toe and camber, ride height and droop. I was still lacking a lot of entry steering and mediocre mid steering, exit steering wasnt bad at all. I was able to get my back end to step out how i wanted (which is more of my style of how i like to drive tc).
Have you tried a front differential? Less viscous diff action on the front will give more steering on corner entry, but at the expense of exit steering.
phatboislim likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Yea, I've thought about getting a front diff putting a mill and some putty in the front diff. i'm nervous to lose the exit steering/rip out of the corner. also doesnt help that's its hard to get parts right now. I'll just have to order from rocherc and wait a couple of weeks, if they even carry the front diff
Old 04-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try to find the Xray Set Up Tip Sheet. It goes through the entire chassis and explains the cause and affect of any changes you might make. Most/All of the info can be related to any TC out and it might enlighten you to a change you didn't think of.
phatboislim and forFREEDOM like this.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Phat, a few things you may want to consider:

Does the car run and steer well at half-speed laps and then only push at race speed? If so, I would bet money that your car is dragging the edge of the chassis as you dive into the corners, even if there is no residue on the chassis plate. If a much stiffer front sway bar makes the car more consistent this was probably your issue.

It is possible to have the car transfer too much weight to the front to steer effectively. Reducing your ESC's drag brake, taking out the rear droop, or shifting your battery back may help rotation as well.
phatboislim likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

I also think your roll center is too close to the lowest settings to give you enough responsiveness(less chassis roll) for carpet racing... You can try sliding the thinnest roll center shim under your A arms, front and rear, to increase responsiveness a bit from your current settings(asphalt settings)....
Also , a 2.6 spring in the front with a bigger swaybar might help....
phatboislim likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

For starters, I seen no one has mentioned glue on your sidewalls. Assuming this is high grip crc black carpet, how high are you gluing your tires? Your car will push everywhere if you are gluing too high. Second, your mid/exit push is most likely your diff. You need to be In the 8-10k oil range to keep from diffing out on the high grip carpet. Lastly, a speed 6 has less initial steering. I would recommend a montech is200. Very aggressive on entry yet still stable.
massenb203 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.