Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
My wierdness -- Yes currently this sits as a 2.2 buggy drifter FPV build?! >

My wierdness -- Yes currently this sits as a 2.2 buggy drifter FPV build?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My wierdness -- Yes currently this sits as a 2.2 buggy drifter FPV build?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My wierdness -- Yes currently this sits as a 2.2 buggy drifter FPV build?!

My builds are many and odd. Decided I wanted to take a sec and share with the group.

Primarily I want to share this thing:

So what is this thing? Currently its a TB EVO II chassis with TT02 diffs and arms+hubs. Yes TT02 diffs will fit into at least the TB EVO II chassis!

This is a project that has been in a constant state of tinker for the last year.
Started out as a TT02B MS kit that got the guts that used to be in a TL01 back in the day. Put that car to the side after running it a couple times because it just wasnt the right car for the pump track at work. Started building a couple other tings, primarily a trf801XT and eventually a trf801X as an SCT

With the TRF801XT pretty much good to go and the TRF801X real close to done and winter in full swing I started looking at the TT02B as something that could maybe be run around the warehouse as a touring or drift thing. So the TT02B started its tinkering transformation.

...yes that is a 190mm frs body on a buggy chassis with the tires almost entirely external to the body... I know. I know. This path of inquiry eventually hit a wall and I started building two different hard body twin hammers. For those of you counting along at home, yes at this point I had 5 builds going, granted the TRF801XT only needed a paint job.

Recently Ive come back around to wanting to tinker with super weird builds that Ive never seen. This time around I am approaching the TT02 tinker build from more of a utilitarian perspective... Probably because I just built a Piko Owl quad which is definitely why I want to put an FPV camera+VTX unit on this so I can run it all around the warehouse even if I cant see it. So at the moment I need to re-shim the arms and find some new rear upper suspension links to get the camber right. I figure those two and Ill be able to get it running to see what its like. I also have to figure out lower suspension arm clearances because the TB EVO chassis does not let the arms rotate below parallel with with ground.

Anyways thats where its at right now, will update yall when I make progress on this... but seein how my ADHD kicks in hard it may take a while to work through my project list and get back around to making progress on this FPV Buggy drifter.

Maybe eventually Ill build some wierd body for it

Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Nothing Odd we used to race the first TC cars, which were buggy based (4wd). You may still be able to find some Frewer, Parma or old Bolink Sedan that may.work.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sweet! Thank you much 1/8 IC Fan for that tip. Im definitely going to look into that.

In the mean time I got a sec to throw on some traxxas upper rear suspension links to straighten out the rear camber so I could run it around a little. Looks like I am going to pull the TT02 parts out of this build and throw in some DB02 parts. The CVDs are a little bit longer on the DB02 which the rears definitely need. but for now its pretty fun to rip around and drift on the parking lot out side of my townhouse.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

I did similar with a cyber10 b a few years ago, I had ended up using rs4 eve arms and hubs. I think the newer rs4 sport arms might work better, I'll have to wait for the lhs to get more in stock.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pretty interesting - will be looking forward to what other ideas you come up with.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

[Been quite a while. Finally got a couple minutes to figure out the suspension arms and run it for more than 2 minutes without a half0shaft popping out. Of course I grabbed a couple pictures and videos from test runs. Next step is to drive it a lot more, especially once I get some fpv goggles.

Eventually the plan is to draw up and 3d print some new shock mounts to either -bring the touring car shocks out more vertical and lower orrr -convert the suspension to a push rocker style suspension design. and then lastely put a body on it. Then attack the db02 to make it fit the electronics and batteries I have.

looks super similar but its changed a bit.

Now some video:
PHP Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI1VjlODtV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI1VjlODtV0" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI1VjlODtV0"> https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI1VjlODtV0" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by 22kahn; 09-05-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: still trouble posting media
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

While this project hasnt exactly died its definitely changed courses. And my attentions have been pulled in a lot of different directions. New puppy - beautiful preggo wife - many many visitors - 2018 new bike launch in Squamish. As well as still trying to sell the 1/8 scale trf801 stuff and building two twin hammers - I dont have an over commitment problem at allll.

I cant believe I have 4 running RC's !!!

The TB Evo II chassis is not converted back to a touring car that may or may not get fpv for time attack of some sort - I really want to figure out a diy (or as cheap as diy) transponder timing solution so I can make my own tracks either in the warehouse at work or in local parking lots.

The weirdness has all been passed over to the tt02B which is a much more straight forward pick for this kind of tinkering since all the parts for both buggy and touring car exist for the chassis and im not spending forever trying to make drivelines work. In the end I got stuff to work but it wasnt ever really quite right.

I have a tt02 S steel suspension set that im going to put on this to be able to run a front foam bumper

Ultimately I think this car is going to end up being run as an fpv rig that has provisions for a gopro gimbal - Eventually all controlled with a taraniz Q x7 (If I dont end up selling all my drone stuff) so that I can control both the gimbal and the car at the same time.

I also grabbed up some other wheels and tires to play with a little bit-

speedline 2.2 wheels with HPI 4590 M compound rs4 slicks

HPI wr8 Tarmac 2.2 with Proline Prime Super soft rear buggy tires

Anyways once I get the twin hammers done or I get bored with those for the moment Ill get back on this stream of consciousness tinker build. Maybe eventually have a camera follow car for making some videos? who knows.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Weelllp Im on a war path to get all my chassis' sold or running! Which means the tt02b has gotten a little bit of work. (currently running= tb evoII set up as drifter - ff03r with 6800kv motor combo - twin hammers with 21.5t brushless - twin hammers with 2800kv - scx10 35t brushed)

Sidewinder SCT and 13.5t ballistic motor went in along with an old traxxas 2075 servo I had around. High speed 68t spur went in with a 22t pinion. With the tamiya motor mount I dont think the gear mesh was exactly right and I stripped the pinion right quick. I really wasnt expecting this combo to be as quick as it is.

Also decided that the frs body wasnt worth trying to salvage with a tra kyoto rocket bunny kit. Been wanting to try and using some glitter for a paint job for a while. Might try and fabricate my own superwide body overfenders to make this less of a hack job.

Also need to dick around some more with different dampers and spring rates. Three different spring rates are on the way. Might also try out some 65mm gmade xd shocks.

Currently trying to sell the db02 but if it doesnt get moved on I miiiiight throw the hobbywing sct pro with 4700kv combo into it and make a second 2.2 ripper thing.

Last edited by 22kahn; 09-16-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added and editted details