Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors? >

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Most Powerful 21.5T, 17.5T, and 13.5T Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by performula
Really?! I still have brand new Actinium 4.5T and 17.5T motors. I also have a 13.5T and 17.5T by Thunder Power that are new. My 21.5T is actually Hobbywing's JS6 system, new.

I just wanted an edge as this stuff, other than the Team Powers stuff, is kinda old. I think the JS6 is still fairly new.
i'm kind of a quick guy, not a fast guy, but my old team powers actinium was .2 off the fast lap off the #1 A main guy that day. it was my driving that got me out of contention for a podium spot more than the motor because i had the motor for it. just pick a solid motor and go for it. dont buy all those motors tho, if you have all those, just run the team powers and call it a day
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubonic-X
Formula do yourself a favor and stop trying to buy your way to the top. Clear your calendar and get your butt out there and practice. No motor is gonna help you if you crash too much.
THIS THIS THIS...which goes back to my post before this
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Formula do yourself a favor and stop trying to buy your way to the top. Clear your calendar and get your butt out there and practice. No motor is gonna help you if you crash too much.
100% agree, I smoke people with my Trackstar motors all the time. I have a 17.5 that is 5 years old, and I'm one of the fast guys. One of the things I like to do at the track is when there is a guy who wants a faster motor. I'll say, lets swap cars. You drive mine and I'll drive yours. Then I go out and beat them with their own car, and say "Wow this thing is faster than mine." A few weeks ago I was helping a kid out and he was getting 18 second laps and his dad mentioned getting him a faster motor. So I asked to drive his car. I was throwing down 16.1's and 16.3's ...he didn't need a motor.
benTC5 likes this.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I wouldn't stress about having the latest and greatest motor quite yet, if you're still in the "I need all the help I can get" phase. The great thing about the motor-of-the-month BS is that last year's (or last month's) hot motor is being sold at 50% or less of the original purchase price by all the guys that are concerned about staying on the cutting edge of motor technology. If you're at a hyper-competitive track where the separation between TQ and 10th in the B is only a few 10ths, and you're consistently finishing a tenth or two off of first, that new $180 stock motor might make a marginal difference. Working on tuning, finding the right tire, saucing/massaging tires (suppose this falls under tuning), batteries and how you charge/discharge them, as well as practice, are going to serve you far better in the near term.
Lonestar and greener74 like this.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Fast motors

Maclan team motors are great. Very fast and don't fade at all. I'm able to keep up with team scream motors and slightly more pull on the infield
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
I wouldn't stress about having the latest and greatest motor quite yet, if you're still in the "I need all the help I can get" phase. The great thing about the motor-of-the-month BS is that last year's (or last month's) hot motor is being sold at 50% or less of the original purchase price by all the guys that are concerned about staying on the cutting edge of motor technology. If you're at a hyper-competitive track where the separation between TQ and 10th in the B is only a few 10ths, and you're consistently finishing a tenth or two off of first, that new $180 stock motor might make a marginal difference. Working on tuning, finding the right tire, saucing/massaging tires (suppose this falls under tuning), batteries and how you charge/discharge them, as well as practice, are going to serve you far better in the near term.
I guess you're right. I should "enjoy" what I have.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Indeed, but as your setup improves, so does your driving skill. Once you feel that you are being beat by something other than setup/skill, then it is motor upgrade time.

Enjoy what you want to though, if you get the baddass motor of the week, change your setup ( gearing etc ) to match the new speed and go from there.

You don't necessarily need to start from the bottom with old stuff. I didn't and it worked out well over the years. ( well minus the TB03 chassis cause I love that old tubby POS )
Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I buy the fastest shit and I practice. They are not mutually exclusive.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Indeed, but as your setup improves, so does your driving skill. Once you feel that you are being beat by something other than setup/skill, then it is motor upgrade time.

Enjoy what you want to though, if you get the baddass motor of the week, change your setup ( gearing etc ) to match the new speed and go from there.

You don't necessarily need to start from the bottom with old stuff. I didn't and it worked out well over the years. ( well minus the TB03 chassis cause I love that old tubby POS )
I'll be honest, I've done the hottest/newest options, hottest kits, whip out the full Hudy Set Up System with Aluminum Suitcase, the works, to just DNF. And MANY times. It was embarrassing. I'm glad you posted.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

TOTALLY agree.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Donny Banks
Maclan team motors are great. Very fast and don't fade at all. I'm able to keep up with team scream motors and slightly more pull on the infield
I'm looking at one of these motors in 21.5, it seems not too many people have had experience with them yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Motors does make a difference. Handout motors are the only thing that will even things out for everyone.

In stock or 21.5 or superstock. Its not too hard to acquire the requisite driving skills and the motor will be the limiting factor to TQ or a podium spot.
MontanaMaxx likes this.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a turbodyno 35 converted to brushless, I have a fantom rs v2 with 12.5 ultra rotor, and the newest tsr with 4 bar rotor. Both 17.5t
I set them up to run first with most power then to find the most efficient timing. I spent hours and hours, even trying different rotors.
Now each motor many differ slightly from mine.
End result the fantom made the most power and very efficient at 4.2 volts, where tsr made crazy power with 8 volts.
Not sure why any of the 2 motors didn't take the win with both voltage tests.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default love my 17.5 trackstar

I'm as fast or faster with my trackstar v2.
greener74 likes this.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phinsfan76
I'm as fast or faster with my trackstar v2.
I have the Trackstar 17.5 V2 and the TSR 17.5 The 1. Trackstar is like taking a knife to a gunfight. Sorry but it shows on the Dyno and on the track.
Great motor for a spec class though but the model before it is better for that because of price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.