Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
T-Maxx VS Savage SS >

T-Maxx VS Savage SS

T-Maxx VS Savage SS

Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default T-Maxx VS Savage SS

Ok I got both trucks. Both have bowtie tires. I want to know how I can get the T-maxx to hadle more like the savage. Is this a long shot? The T-maxx at full throttle down the straightaway is all ove the damn place just like a zig zag. It wont drive straight at all at WOT. The savage handles great. It stays level when its in the air also. I realize the savage is a bit heavier than the t-maxx. To make a long story short, what can I do to the maxx to make it handle better? Stiffer shocks or shock oil? Or do I need to bolt a lead weight to the truck? These trucks are built kinda similiar but I cant put a finger on what makes the Savage handle better, other than the weight. THANKS guys!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats sound like a compliment to HPI Savage...great!!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

dont know why your tmaxx is all over the road mine stays straight.

but http://www.unlimitedengineering.com...tore/13601.html

that will clean up your steering. shocks could help, but the stock shocks are just fine if your trying to stay straight going down the road.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dump the TMAXX, but keep the body... Buy another SAVAGE and put your body on it... Ding... Times up, another satisfied customer!! Just kidding

My buddies TMAXX is the same way... Won't go in a straight line and is really loose. He does have some pretty soft shocks though. He also likes to make dust clouds and donuts, so he is happy with it...
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had a t-maxx before i had the savage and i will never go back to a traxxas product period. The savage handles great and is very durable and can take the abuse
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

oh also the foam in your tires prob makes the biggest diff. if your tires are real soft yeah you will probably go side ways, stiffer tires will keep you more stable. thats why i always run a real low pro tire on big rims, there is less play in the tires, keep the truck more stable.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

i would try the following

make sure the servo is centered

buy the proline steering rack

upgraded servo

also make sure your toe in or toe out(which ever you run) is the same left to right.

you didnt mention the surface you were running on,but if it is bumpy and rutted go lighter oil or spring

if its smooth then go heavier,try one or the other not both at the same time

good luck
steven
Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. The track I run is pretty smooth, but it is outside here in Texas, and we have had nooooo rain whatsoever, so is is mainly loose dirt. It is really not packed in. We water it down and the maxx handles a little better, but not like the savage by any means. I think I will try the same setup on the maxx as I put on the Savage. ( By whay the owners manual in the kit said to set it at) I belive it was. -3 degree camber in the front and back. Im am not sure haw to do thin on the maxx becuase it does not have any adjustable upper control arms. Im guessing I will have to use shims or something.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry about the spelling! Im really not that dumb. Just in a hurry. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

for the record the t-maxx and savage are built completely different. t-maxx's are smaller and nimbler thats why the truck is all over the place, low pro tires would prob make the situation worse, low pro tires tend to be stiffer which results in quick steering and what not and the truck wont fight you as much, really soft tires (usually the taller ones) will not only keep the truck tracking straight from centrifugal force but let the truck dig in. but a t-maxx will never have the driving profile of the savage and vice versa. this is mostly because the savage has a think tvp chassis centering the weight. the t-maxx has a flat wider chassis spreading the weight more to the outside and it will transfer more weight side to side causing the irradicness you describe. thats mostly why the savage drives much easier. lastly the t-maxxes stock suspension simply doesnt have what the savage's suspension so legendary, its extremely large and smooth movement.