Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dreaded PolarBear syndrome!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Default Dreaded PolarBear syndrome!!!!

I go nuts in the winter time no sunshine , no blue sky........ grrrrrr!! My wife noticed my change in behavior and gave me a 1/8 scale Kyosho GT2 E. I was like oh no it is a electric.... This is the best parking lot basher I have ever owned!! I put spikes in the tires and run it on ice , untreated parking lots and high school gym floors. I now like gas and electric.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

This Kyo GT2 with its long shock travel can handle a real bumpy surface like a untreated parking lot it has tons of traction for road racing. This car could bring back parking lot racing. It also handles very well on a prepared race surface that you find at the few club tracks around the US. The stock tires that come with thekit are ok but they don't wear very long and they will pop if you have a high rev electric motor in it.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've had one for think 3 years now. Stock tires didn't last long. I've had a set of no name road tires on it since. Things just don't wear.
Body prices have come down quite a bit over last couple years. They were crazy expensive for first year or so.
It's been a solid vehicle overall. I finally killed the stock motor last summer. I'm currently still deciding on replacement motor/esc.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

I want to start up a rc car club where I live at and I think this would be the perfect car for a club racer. Not too expensive you can get parts for it on the internet. Easy to setup. Handles very well on untreated surface. And in the winter you can run it inside.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
I want to start up a rc car club where I live at and I think this would be the perfect car for a club racer. Not too expensive you can get parts for it on the internet. Easy to setup. Handles very well on untreated surface. And in the winter you can run it inside.
Goof luck. How is overall interest in rc in your area? While the Kyosho is a really good car. Road cars have limited appeal to majority in the hobby. Despite most have more parking lots then off road surfaces. Can't imagine running indoors with a 1/8 road car. Need a good size space for that.
It's not a club. But I run with an unofficial group during the good parts of Chicago area weather. We've found 1/18 work for getting people to try. Started with 5 regulars. Now get between 10-20. It's just for fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hmm this has me thinking. It fits the protform c7r lwb body too, which looks amazing. I do like my Corvette bodies, good to hear the positive reviews of this chassis. I have been strongly leaning towards a 1/9 of 1/8 on road for my next fun car.

BillyKelly where do you race? I live in Chicago but work in Niles and am I the suburbs pretty often.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by theVetteman3
Hmm this has me thinking. It fits the protform c7r lwb body too, which looks amazing. I do like my Corvette bodies, good to hear the positive reviews of this chassis. I have been strongly leaning towards a 1/9 of 1/8 on road for my next fun car.

BillyKelly where do you race? I live in Chicago but work in Niles and am I the suburbs pretty often.
We run 1/18 for fun at HobbyTown in Orland Park on Sunday's. From around May to October depending on weather. Last year a group started running touring cars and F1 also. We alternate Sunday's. It's parking lot racing. I had hoped to get up the new place, Windy City. But just can't get my schedule right.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Prophet

We run 1/18 for fun at HobbyTown in Orland Park on Sunday's. From around May to October depending on weather. Last year a group started running touring cars and F1 also. We alternate Sunday's. It's parking lot racing. I had hoped to get up the new place, Windy City. But just can't get my schedule right.

Only did one touring car race last year. This year I'm in. Also trying F1.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Yea I've been trying to get up to Windy City. Haven't had the time lately. Good to know racing is going on down by you.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Billy Kelly interest in types of rc cars vary from area to area. The guys that are interested in 1/8 scale onroad RC Cars in my area are in the 40-60 age range. We need the big scale cars so we can see them. And like I said these cars are low maintance and easy to set up. We are interested in running oval & roadcourse not speed runs. Our parking lots are untreated and bumpy most cars can't handle the bumps but these 1/8 scale onroad cars do very well. Thanks for sharing what you guys run.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Hey Vetteman 3 I just got my protoform body. Here is the new Vette body unpainted on my chassis

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 02-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

I hope this body has a good aero package to it.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Billy Kelly interest in types of rc cars vary from area to area. The guys that are interested in 1/8 scale onroad RC Cars in my area are in the 40-60 age range. We need the big scale cars so we can see them. And like I said these cars are low maintance and easy to set up. We are interested in running oval & roadcourse not speed runs. Our parking lots are untreated and bumpy most cars can't handle the bumps but these 1/8 scale onroad cars do very well. Thanks for sharing what you guys run.
Hadn't thought about oval. It's a wide age range for 1/18. Most of us regulars are mid 40's and up. I've run my Kyosho on a number of different paved surfaces. Most it's done good. Thought couple spots did good damage to original body.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

That looks really cool. What wheels are those by the way? Those y-fork look way more scale - bbs style, than the 5 spokes. I really am digging that look.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Yea I've been trying to get up to Windy City. Haven't had the time lately. Good to know racing is going on down by you.
The group decided to try parking lot racing after getting tired of the drama at the track down here. And seeing people show interest only to be scared off by regulars when they started talking about costs.
I was very skeptical about how it would work. But it did. And 4 of us joined. Still waiting to confirm they are coming back. They have become regulars at Windy City. Even if they don't. We plan to continue it somehow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.