Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to RC, receiver/esc issue is discouraging. Help! >

New to RC, receiver/esc issue is discouraging. Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC, receiver/esc issue is discouraging. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC, receiver/esc issue is discouraging. Help!

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post after lurking for a long time.
I have an issue where my RC takes off full throttle with no control after a few minutes of driving.

Heres my setup:
Ofna Jl10e
Hobbywing ezrun 9t/35a combo
Dynamite 1800mah 7.4v 6 cell nimh battery
Towerhobbies 2.4ghz rx/tx

This is my first RC. I set everything up, bound the receiver,set up the esc as well (did everything according to manual). Then I run it in the house on the carpet.everythings fine. I then take it out to the parking area and drive down about 30 feet. I turn it around to come back and give it some throttle and half way back it takes off on its own,full throttle, under some cars. I go to pick it up and its still going full throttle with a solid red light on the esc(which in the manual says that solid red means accelerating, but not full throttle).I turned the esc off then on again and everythings fine. This happens every time and I keep bringing it back trying to rebind and reset everything.
The first thing I thought was the battery is too weak or mabie the esc is reading for lipo, but i turned off that setting with the program card.
I am stumped.
I get about a 3 minute run in every time, but for that 3 minutes im free.lol. someone please help me extend my freedom to at least a full charge of battery.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=TXNE;14829733
Heres my setup:

Hobbywing ezrun 9t/35a combo
Dynamite 1800mah 7.4v 6 cell nimh battery

[/QUOTE]

By the stats this is a combination of disaster waiting to happen. Over powered under battery, your lucky to get 2 minutes.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

I know the battery is crap.I bought the cheapest I could get my hands on.just to make sure everything ran. I will be getting a 3s lipo very soon. I would have one already but I didnt want to buy one yet with my current issue unresolved.so, it could be the battery that is causing loss of control? If so, I will order a battery and charger today
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

The problem is the throttle.
-program the Radio and ESC together(follow the Radio and ESC instructions)
-then; (it could be) the Throttle Sub-Trim has to be set
Old 02-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TXNE
I know the battery is crap.I bought the cheapest I could get my hands on.just to make sure everything ran. I will be getting a 3s lipo very soon. I would have one already but I didnt want to buy one yet with my current issue unresolved.so, it could be the battery that is causing loss of control? If so, I will order a battery and charger today
I'd try to borrow a larger battery (more than 1800mah) to check it out first, but this sounds like the system is browning out and the speed control locks on the last signal it received.

When it happens, after you retrieve it, if you pick it up and power cycle the system, does it act normal again, but runs away when you put it on the ground and give it throttle? Then for sure your losing signal. Do you recharge the battery to full capacity? You have a pretty low turn motor and a pretty small battery.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
I'd try to borrow a larger battery (more than 1800mah) to check it out first, but this sounds like the system is browning out and the speed control locks on the last signal it received.

When it happens, after you retrieve it, if you pick it up and power cycle the system, does it act normal again, but runs away when you put it on the ground and give it throttle? Then for sure your losing signal. Do you recharge the battery to full capacity? You have a pretty low turn motor and a pretty small battery.

When I pick it up it just keeps running full throttle.nothing changes until I turn off the esc.then when I turn it on again everything seems normal.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

It sounds like the Speedo is not bound to the Radio.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
The problem is the throttle.
-program the Radio and ESC together(follow the Radio and ESC instructions)
-then; (it could be) the Throttle Sub-Trim has to be set
I have the Tower Hobbies 224 system. How (if possible) can I set the sub trim? There is only one know for throttle trim but I do not see sub trim.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sdunnmcp
It sounds like the Speedo is not bound to the Radio.
Ive tried this many times, "calibrating" the esc and receiver.where the light blinks and you press the set button on the esc for neutral, full throttle, and full reverse.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

When I pick it up it just keeps running full throttle.nothing changes until I turn off the esc.then when I turn it on again everything seems normal.
Then for sure your hitting the low voltage. You can recalibrate it till the cows come home and this won't fix the problem, your just plain and simple running out of battery.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Then for sure your hitting the low voltage. You can recalibrate it till the cows come home and this won't fix the problem, your just plain and simple running out of battery.
Hitting liw voltage can cause it to fly away full throttle? Is there a way to prevent this? Mabie a way to have it just cut off?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Hitting liw voltage can cause it to fly away full throttle? Is there a way to prevent this? Mabie a way to have it just cut off?

Thanks for the help
You could try a surge cap that plugs into the receiver, but that usually just helps when you punch the throttle, it keeps voltage up for a milliseconds so the radio signal doesn't drop.

Some radios have a fail safe option, thats something you'll have to check into with your transmitter information. Ultimately though its your battery thats down to a lower voltage that will not sustain radio signal.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the help
More expensive radios and ESCs have protection against this. I'm pretty sure the ezRun ESC has a lipo voltage cutoff feature, at a minimum ensure that it's enabled. Adding a glitch buster capacitor to the receiver might help a bit too.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My touring car was doing this when I first got it going. It turns out I did not calibrate the esc properly. Once calibrated, I have had no issues since.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

You could try a surge cap that plugs into the receiver, but that usually just helps when you punch the throttle, it keeps voltage up for a milliseconds so the radio signal doesn't drop.

Some radios have a fail safe option, thats something you'll have to check into with your transmitter information. Ultimately though its your battery thats down to a lower voltage that will not sustain radio signal.
That makes sense.thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.