Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improving transmitter flow

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Improving transmitter flow

Are there any tips or tricks how to make steering and throttle usage more flowing? One of the fastest racers said that I lose quite a lot of valuable time in the corners because my finger movement in too aggressive. We did try to soften the steering by gluing foam to steering wheel endpoints, which improved my best time about 0.2 seconds. I am racing 17.5 Blinky with a Sanwa MT-4S.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

lower the "Dual Rate" setting until the car will not make the tightest turn and then go back up a little at a time until it makes all turns but feels smooth.

If you have a super fast servo like .07 seconds, use the servo speed setting and set it for -9 out and -3 return
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1, I would use exponential too.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for your answers, I will try them next time I go practice. About throttle usage, is it faster to a) brake hard before a corner, hold half throttle in corner and then accelerate or b) to slow down before a corner, hold neutral or slight throttle in corner and then accelerate?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd let people know what radio you are using so they will know what settings you might have.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tbrymer
I'd let people know what radio you are using so they will know what settings you might have.
I have the Sanwa MT-4S (40th anniversary), wheel shimed 1mm to remove rubbing, springs as loose as can be, slop removed with VR adjust, JC wheelfoam and pieces of foam glued to wheel endpoints and throttle lever.

Last edited by YellowClip; 01-02-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default radio

Originally Posted by YellowClip
I have the Sanwa MT-4S (40th anniversary), wheel shimed 1mm to remove rubbing, springs as loose as can be, slop removed with VR adjust, JC wheelfoam and pieces of foam glued to wheel endpoints and throttle lever.
My driving was improved by stiffing the wheel spring,helped to calm my car around center more along with radio settings with the expo
Old 01-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by X marksthespot
My driving was improved by stiffing the wheel spring,helped to calm my car around center more along with radio settings with the expo
I previously had the steering in the mid-range stiffness, but the same guy, the fastest guy in our country and his father, told that a looser setting results a more precise driving.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YellowClip
I previously had the steering in the mid-range stiffness, but the same guy, the fastest guy in our country and his father, told that a looser setting results a more precise driving.
What works for him may not work for you. I prefer a stiffer spring, some prefer lighter. I notice a LOT of people come off the drivers stand and pushing their foam (steering wheel) back into place or even gluing their foam on. They ALL are gripping their wheels way to tight. I taught them to lighten up the grip on their remotes and their driving has improved significantly.

I feel that Expo is a lazy excuse for poor driving habits. I know a lot of people love expo, but I dont think it should be used as a crutch in the beginning. If you need to dial out steering in the beginning of the throw and then make up for it later you are doing something wrong at the radio.