Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock? >

Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?

Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think something that is overlooked with a control motor is that they aren't all equal. There's always one that's a little better than the other. I get where people are coming from with the equal playing field argument. But more rules isn't going to bring more racers to the tracks. The real problem lies in competitiveness and that's something you'll never be able to control, nor, should you.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I think something that is overlooked with a control motor is that they aren't all equal. There's always one that's a little better than the other. I get where people are coming from with the equal playing field argument. But more rules isn't going to bring more racers to the tracks. The real problem lies in competitiveness and that's something you'll never be able to control, nor, should you.
The difference is not noticeable. That is a deflection for control motors.

If there is that much variance between motors from the same manufacturer, same wind/turn, then that manufacturer needs to be removed from the roar approve list if they cannot QC their product better.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Again, more rules isn't going to bring more people to the track...killing our own hobby with rules isn't the solution. If anything, rules need to be relaxed. Onroad is dying (or at max, treading water) people...we need new blood at the tracks, that should be the focus.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Lord

Again, more rules isn't going to bring more people to the track...killing our own hobby with rules isn't the solution.
Speed-secrets isn't either..... People are walking away if they see others going like twice as fast.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Speed-secrets don't affect the new people. They are racing to have fun, which is what I think has been lost in this hobby. Some people want the technology limited so they can be competitive. If someone is that much faster than everyone else...they won't be there long. Boredom sets in eventually and they move up in class. Just get back to having fun, or is not being first just not fun? I think that brings us back to the competitive side of things, some view fun as winning.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Again, more rules isn't going to bring more people to the track...killing our own hobby with rules isn't the solution. If anything, rules need to be relaxed. Onroad is dying (or at max, treading water) people...we need new blood at the tracks, that should be the focus.
Until you can convince AND show new comers you can race and have fun and possibly win without spending $800, it will always be hard.

I can't tell you how many times people have watched me run practice laps and come and say, man this looks awesome I want to get into this, how much does this stuff cost....

You start rolling out the $450 to $600 figure, people turn and walk the other way.

A money cap makes more sense.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Until you can convince AND show new comers you can race and have fun and possibly win without spending $800, it will always be hard.

I can't tell you how many times people have watched me run practice laps and come and say, man this looks awesome I want to get into this, how much does this stuff cost....

You start rolling out the $450 to $600 figure, people turn and walk the other way.

A money cap makes more sense.
That's why when they ask you don't get into that detail about how much "our" stuff is , we at our track will tell potential racers they can get on the track and competitive in vta or usgt for about $450
With our suggested equipment but the sky is the limit if you want to go all out . We tend to keep used cars around so that gives them another option
Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
That's why when they ask you don't get into that detail about how much "our" stuff is , we at our track will tell potential racers they can get on the track and competitive in vta or usgt for about $450
With our suggested equipment but the sky is the limit if you want to go all out . We tend to keep used cars around so that gives them another option
True that. It is hard to explain to new comers there are other options besides local hobby shops.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Every sport fisherman with his own boat has eaten a $5000 fish. Just tell newbs that there are used row boat options.

Tracks need to start posting a flyer on the wall that completely lists the cheapest, but decent setups, for each class.

Every racer knows they can get a Turnigy charger for $29, or a Servo for $25, or ESc for $50-80. And the Trackstar 17.5 for what.....$30?. But getting that info down to newbs is the key. That info just isn't out there. Especially if said newb approaches the guy with neon lights in his charger case.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Tech Lord

Speed-secrets don't affect the new people. They are racing to have fun, which is what I think has been lost in this hobby. Some people want the technology limited so they can be competitive. If someone is that much faster than everyone else...they won't be there long. Boredom sets in eventually and they move up in class. Just get back to having fun, or is not being first just not fun? I think that brings us back to the competitive side of things, some view fun as winning.
That is your opinion and maybe the truth at first but after some races people will ask where some drivers get the power and speed from they show on the track.
Running a race for fun sounds nice but making the A-main (or getting close to it) is a next step and then the power and speed differences are noticed and people will feel they are fooled.
Handout motors which are sealed can indeed give some differenes but not that much when motors are held in a box of tricks. For sure it will take away the idea that the fast drivers are cheating.

And I speak from own experience where drivers were optimising motors (shifting sensors, placing other rotors etc) and even ESC's (replacing FET's for better ones) and the only answers they could give was that you must setup and drive the car better....
You can tell that to a beginner but not to an experienced nitro racer.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Every sport fisherman with his own boat has eaten a $5000 fish. Just tell newbs that there are used row boat options.

Tracks need to start posting a flyer on the wall that completely lists the cheapest, but decent setups, for each class.

Every racer knows they can get a Turnigy charger for $29, or a Servo for $25, or ESc for $50-80. And the Trackstar 17.5 for what.....$30?. But getting that info down to newbs is the key. That info just isn't out there. Especially if said newb approaches the guy with neon lights in his charger case.
Except that takes money away from the track's shop. If I were a track owner I'd never tell my racers to go buy stuff online from Hobby King instead of what I stock. I would try and stock a wide variety of stuff to suit budgets as best as possible, though.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Except that takes money away from the track's shop. If I were a track owner I'd never tell my racers to go buy stuff online from Hobby King instead of what I stock. I would try and stock a wide variety of stuff to suit budgets as best as possible, though.
Not all tracks have shops.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
What's the cheapest ESC you carry at the track ?
Our track has hobbywing just stock ESC in stock along with a few hobbywing escs/motor combos Incase someone wants to get there foot in the door
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up Everyone has a great point of view....

Racing is about going FAST and getting FASTER...yes you can
go slower that's a personal choice, so if you want to race a slower class
pick the class that fits you and the people who want to go faster race
the appropriate classes 17.5, 13.5 or modified...It's a great feeling to
see your lap times get better and your car is FASTER!

We as racer should be able to have choices to go fast, not make universal
decision to put slower motor in our car, all beginners should start out with
25.5 motors and work there way up to faster classes.

All RC hobbies cost MONEY...there is long list of hobby's top tier,
middle tier, low tier, when someone decides to start a hobby, you are
not looking at how cheap it is....it is the love of the hobby.

In my opinion if you are struggling financially, a hobby is the last
thing you want to start, me all my RC friends spend a fair amount of
money to practice & race on a weekly, monthly basis and attend
major races.

So when someone asked me how much it cost I don't hesitate to
say anywhere from $1,500 or more, because I tell people the truth
to race competitively you need to buy good equipment for the long
term and investing in good equipment will last for years.

RC hobbies is the GREATEST!!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
Racing is about going FAST and getting FASTER...yes you can
go slower that's a personal choice, so if you want to race a slower class
pick the class that fits you and the people who want to go faster race
the appropriate classes 17.5, 13.5 or modified...It's a great feeling to
see your lap times get better and your car is FASTER!

We as racer should be able to have choices to go fast, not make universal
decision to put slower motor in our car, all beginners should start out with
25.5 motors and work there way up to faster classes.

All RC hobbies cost MONEY...there is long list of hobby's top tier,
middle tier, low tier, when someone decides to start a hobby, you are
not looking at how cheap it is....it is the love of the hobby.

In my opinion if you are struggling financially, a hobby is the last
thing you want to start, me all my RC friends spend a fair amount of
money to practice & race on a weekly, monthly basis and attend
major races.

So when someone asked me how much it cost I don't hesitate to
say anywhere from $1,500 or more, because I tell people the truth
to race competitively you need to buy good equipment for the long
term and investing in good equipment will last for years.

RC hobbies is the GREATEST!!
I hear what your saying and it's all valid points but I sure hope your not the first person a walk-in visitor talks to at the track . Lol
Until a person has been bitten by the rc bug the numbers are scary to hear and if spoken in the wrong way sound more like " I'm rich and can blow as much as I want on toys" . Let the new blood get into the hobby first they will soon figure out how much money you/we have in your rolling hobby shops as they start looking to upgrade their beginner equipment for better equipment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.