Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gens Ace - Horrible experience so far >

Gens Ace - Horrible experience so far

Gens Ace - Horrible experience so far

Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gens Ace - Horrible experience so far

So I am new to much of this RC stuff (the in depth technical parts)

Because of availability and warranty have been running Venom Lipos and some TRAXXAS that came with the cars I bought

Have heard lots of forum and friends say "use Gens Ace"

Alright I can be swayed. So I order a very simple 2S 5000 mah. Hard case 4 mm billets with the little one for balancing. Courier shows up today!

30 mins ago hooked it up "ERROR CHECK CELS" on my hitec X11 touch. I confirm my setting. Try again. Same thing. So switch chargers to an onyx 235 it yells at me too!

Go to voltmeter mode on Hitec. Cell 1: 2.29 V Cell 2: 3.81 volts. Right out of the box.

So now I go to gens ace website. Is it legite!? Everything under construction, phone number I called from the warranty page is out of service. Online support email link doesn't work

What a sham!!!! I love hisnforum. There are so many awesome and educated folks on here... please help!?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You got a bad battery, you should be able to find support for them online if you keep searching. Try Facebook.

I don't mean to spoil the market, but there's really only a couple manufactures and the battle is finding which brand has the best batch at any particular time. Some manufactures might have better QC and are more consistent, but it's not actually them making the batteries.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Did you also buy that battery at the same site or a different shop?
If it was a different shop you must contact that shop. Be aware that a bad cell just can happen.

Maybe also good to give us a link. Because you are new you can not post a compleete link but if you remove the http // www part it must be possible.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

W3 (you get it) dot gensaceusa dot c o m doesn't work
W3 dot gensaceusa.com/geacebrmo dot h t m lworks
W3 dot gensaceusa.com/privacypolicy. H t m l nothing works phone or email
Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

charge the lipo for a couple if min on nimh setting at 5 amps. (No balance) it will bring cell one up to 3.3 volts. so you can than charge it on lipo setting.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadkill
charge the lipo for a couple if min on nimh setting at 5 amps. (No balance) it will bring cell one up to 3.3 volts. so you can than charge it on lipo setting.
Question on ^this. My understanding is that LiPo's lose some level of capacity when discharged below a given point. If one of the OP's unloaded cell voltage is as low as stated, how likely is it that the cell has already suffered degradation?

Last edited by gee-dub; 11-17-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

USA http://www.genstattu.com/contacts/

International http://www.gensace.com/contacts

Both are the contact links, and both worked.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadkill
If one of his cells is at 2.3V, and if it arrived like that, it's been that low for a while, it's damaged and needs to be replaced.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

send it back to the store where you bought it, like you would with any other product
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Return it to the store/website you purchased it from as defective/damaged merchandise. If necessary explain to them or even send them a picture of your voltage readings as proof. Chances are GensAce won't mess with a return directly to them anyways, unless you purchased it directly from them.

Sounds like this battery is either just a manufacture defect (it can happen to any battery regardless of brand), or this battery has been sitting around in a warehouse or store shelf so long the voltage dropped to unsafe levels in the 1 cell. Even if you can get it to charge, that cell is bad and you'll never be satisfied with the battery's performance. Not to mention it's unsafe having LiPo with damaged cells hanging around.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wareagle84
Return it to the store/website you purchased it from as defective/damaged merchandise. If necessary explain to them or even send them a picture of your voltage readings as proof. Chances are GensAce won't mess with a return directly to them anyways, unless you purchased it directly from them.

Sounds like this battery is either just a manufacture defect (it can happen to any battery regardless of brand), or this battery has been sitting around in a warehouse or store shelf so long the voltage dropped to unsafe levels in the 1 cell. Even if you can get it to charge, that cell is bad and you'll never be satisfied with the battery's performance. Not to mention it's unsafe having LiPo with damaged cells hanging around.
But its OK to send this back via a truck or (God forbid) airplane. Come on people, sending a damaged LiPo is probably the worst thing you can do consciously. Its best to contact the manufacturer of the product and determine how they want to proceed. Last bad Lipo I had they didn't want it returned no matter what and simply replaced it. The picture route is the best practice, no doubt.

Putting a unstable Lipo on a plane just isn't good.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

An "unstable" lipo at storage voltage or below is nothing but a hiss. They don't get volatile until they are charged up a bit more. Putting your batteries at storage voltage is a safety thing.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

just contact the store where you bought it, like you would with any other product
they will decide how to replace it

stop complicating something as simple as this.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
But its OK to send this back via a truck or (God forbid) airplane. Come on people, sending a damaged LiPo is probably the worst thing you can do consciously. Its best to contact the manufacturer of the product and determine how they want to proceed. Last bad Lipo I had they didn't want it returned no matter what and simply replaced it. The picture route is the best practice, no doubt.

Putting a unstable Lipo on a plane just isn't good.
For most people, common sense would say you can't send it back because it's unsafe, and that is an ok and not entirely incorrect assumption. It's better than just blindly shipping potentially dangerous objects. However, it is actually ok to send back the LiPo battery, provided you use the correct DOT approved packaging and transportation service to do so, which is available, legal and safe. Whether you or the store know about and whether or not the store will accept it, provide it, or pay for it though, is up to them. DO NOT ever just throw it in a box or envelope and send it back, that IS stupid. It has to be properly packaged, labeled and routed by the courier. You can't ship it if the case has been compromised or damaged though. Also, it will never be sent on a plane. If getting it back to the destination absolutely requires air shipment in the route, then it is not an option. However ground transportation is. You just have to know the code of federal regulations and enough about hazardous shipments to do it the right way. Trust me, I've been 49 CFR certified, hazmat certified, have several other relevant certifications and managed hazardous materials and waste transportation/disposal for 10 years. You just have to go about it the right way.
Now, having said that, most hobby store employees won't know that. They don't recieve that type of training or have a background in hazmat shipping. They'll have 1 of 2 responses, depending on their training or care.
1. Yeah sure, send it back we'll refund you.
2. No dude, you can't send it back, it's dangerous (or some other generic term like explosive) and the boss/management said you can't ship it back to us.

The best, and most cost effective way for the business is to issue you a refund or send you a replacement free of charge. They aren't going to pay for the proper packaging and shipping when they see how much that costs, plus, they're then stuck with having to dispose of it, which again, for them will cost money.
By issuing you a refund or sending you a replacement, they relieve themselves from any further responsibility and leave you with the burden of having to dispose of the battery. You can probably get rid of it for free or extremely cheaply at a community "household hazardous materials/waste" drive/drop-off or possibly at a recycling facility. Otherwise, to properly dispose of it, you'll have to pay a certified company to do so. Please don't just throw it in the common trash or send it back in an ordinary box without the proper packaging and labeling.