Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
4WD - Do you allways run matching tires front and and rear? >

4WD - Do you allways run matching tires front and and rear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4WD - Do you allways run matching tires front and and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default 4WD - Do you allways run matching tires front and and rear?

Do you ever run say the softest at the rear and only chance the front tires when you get traction roll?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Short answer, same tyre all round.

Longer answer, most races these days have a control tyre in a single compound, so you have no choice.
Years ago, before tyres got so controlled, some people used to use a harder compound on the front if the car had too much oversteer. It's an easy fix, but usually you'll go faster with the softer tyre front and rear.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have run harder compound tires on the front when running outdoor on asphalt. The idea was to have the tire's grip "go off" at the same rate, eliminating the need to rotate tires (since I run so many classes I didn't really have the time). It works okay, but takes some experimentation to find which compounds and matching setup keeps the car's handling balance optimum for the longest time.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

The answers have already given you some hints of what to consider.

Even if you run the same tyre, it will be necessary to rotate them, because the wear rate is not the same and you will end up with "different' tyres front-to-rear anyway if you don't rotate.

I am a cheapskate and keep al old tyres until they disintegrate. This means that some times I run different tyres, which creates problems. A quick run before the race tells me if I am set to go or not. Sometimes.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Rotating front to back is never a good idea though.

Left to right if the track you are at has uneven wear can help longevity.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
The answers have already given you some hints of what to consider.

Even if you run the same tyre, it will be necessary to rotate them, because the wear rate is not the same and you will end up with "different' tyres front-to-rear anyway if you don't rotate.

I am a cheapskate and keep al old tyres until they disintegrate. This means that some times I run different tyres, which creates problems. A quick run before the race tells me if I am set to go or not. Sometimes.
True, & if I'm in a situation with premount tires where I feel like I need a bit less front bite & can't do it any other way, then I'll use an older pair of tires in the front, with fresher ones in the rear. It'd give the rear a bit more bite, & help keep the car calm. But that's only if I've tried everything else first & STILL need less front grip....
Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
I have run harder compound tires on the front when running outdoor on asphalt. The idea was to have the tire's grip "go off" at the same rate, eliminating the need to rotate tires (since I run so many classes I didn't really have the time). It works okay, but takes some experimentation to find which compounds and matching setup keeps the car's handling balance optimum for the longest time.
Not enough time to rotate tires..... interesting.