Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
how many time have you got burned by a soldering iron? >

how many time have you got burned by a soldering iron?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many time have you got burned by a soldering iron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_morrison_
all i have to say is don't solder with bare feet .
had a glob of it fall off and land on my right toe .
didn't know how sensitive my toes were till that day.
it became a blister and left a nice scar
Be proud my friend...be proud!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Tech Regular

when i bought my new solderer a 80watter. it had a shorter handle and longer iron than my older solderer, anyway without looking i went to grab it, i grabed the iron bit
Old 01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

haven't been burnt yet. But I did come close once a blob of solder dropped down on to my shorts it burnt through them.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Try running a LOSI JRXS for a day....o yea you'll get burnt unless you are a Master with a soldering Iron.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

this kinda sucked for the reciepient.... but my work bench is in the garage and right close to the garage door. In the winter, the garage door is closed and I clean the iron off by flicking it at the door. and a blob will fly off and slpat on the door....after years of that, a 3x3 area of that door looks pretty tight! all blinged out!

anyway, in the summer, the garage door is open and I just go ahead and fling the blob of solder out onto the driveway. nothing's ever happened before...but this was just a "wrong place at the wrong time" moment. my dad was walking around the side of the garage and came to the door at the same time I was flinging it out the door. OOPS! direct hit! He was in pain....then the pain turned into pissed and now, I don't flick the solder out the door....or at all for that matter! haha...
Old 01-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

My friend step on it and he didn't notice it until everything was too late
Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 AM
kfa
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HVFracingwilly
I just want to know how many burned there hand while checking if it was hot...
Heh.. I normally use solder to check if it's hot enough - havn't even considered using my fingers

//Kaare
Old 01-07-2006, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Got all the burn marks as proof I still cracked up when I recall a friend actually grab the iron with his hands when I asked his help when I was installing new brushes
Old 01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Tech Regular

I have not experience serious burns from soldering but once, I was doing something real quick and somehow, I touched the shaft of the iron (not the tip). It wasn't that hot but I went to the tap for some cold water, nothing bad happened.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once myself, not badly - just on the top of a finger. Still hurt though!

One of my racing buddies dropped an iron once, and by reflex grabbed it. Not by the handle, but by the hot end...

I didnt see it myself but it hurt just hearing him tell the story!
Old 01-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I was at 12th national and I had the Iron hanging over the edge of the table about 4inch off the floor. I stood up, leaning over my table putting my cells on and I suddenly felt this really hot feeling on the top of my foot........I looked down and.....well the 80watt iron had gone completely though my trainer and my sock and burnt my foot!! The smell was unbelievable lol
Old 01-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think I have you all beat, but it's not RC related.

My first job out of college was a field service tech for a business machine company. We're talking early '80s here. Most common problem was broken keyboard switches. Easy fix, unsolder the old one and install the new one. Biggest problem is you had to do this in someone's office, which was usually tight quarters. During one fix, I took out the old switch, and dropped the new one on the floor. I bent over to pick it up, and reached up with my hand to pick myself up. I put my hand right on my hot soldering iron! Second degree burns on 4 fingers and my palm.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Numan
Try running a LOSI JRXS for a day....o yea you'll get burnt unless you are a Master with a soldering Iron.
i guess im a soldering master
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Ouch^^^

I can't even remember how many times solder dripped onto my pants ... the sad thing is though that I usually wear shorts in the basement

Once not long ago I was at my friend's house and a wire from one of the battery packs ripped off. We went downstairs to fire up the soldering iron and put it back on. While it was warming up, he decided it was the perfect time to screw around. Well... you can pretty much guess what happened next. He touched the tip by accident and burnt himself.

I also remember when once I was over at someones house with my whole family and my friend was there. These guys whose house we were at had a little boy, something like 5 or 6 years old. He was a cute little bugger, but nosy and extremely curious. We were trying to fix my melted battery plugs (yep... tamiyas ) and the kid kept asking what each and every thing was. We answered for a few minutes, but then it got annoying. So we showed him our soldering iron melting wax (that you are supposed to clean the tip with) and he just freaked and ran away. For the rest of that evening, he never came closer than 5 metres to where we were sitting

-Dave
Old 01-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

hehe im pretty handy with a soldering iron so sometime people in my pit area ask me to solder stuff for them and one day i left the soldering iron on one of the tables legs though the brace and my mate went to sit down , when he did streched out his legs and didnt notice anything until we could smell like a burnt esc smell, and when he got up ....... hes NIKE pants had a nice diagram of a soldering iron burnt into them

woops for me
this one for rody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.