Search
Like Tree23Likes

Vbc D09

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
I placed an order from vbcracing.com when vbcracingusa was still up, and my order shipped from New Jersey. I'm not sure who is handling the VBC orders in North America these days.
You got your parts, right? Then who cares what destination they were shipped from. Lol.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Started with Lucas' setup, and made a few changes on CRC Grey carpet with a dark groove.

Maybe this setup will help you guys out stateside.

Black carpet testing end of the month, will post results then.

Car is gaining speed nicely

https://www.scribd.com/document/3338...09-JT-December

Last edited by R3VoLuTiOn; 12-10-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
Started with Lucas' setup, and made a few changes on CRC Grey carpet with a dark groove.

Maybe this setup will help you guys out stateside.

Black carpet testing end of the month, will post results then.

Car is gaining speed nicely

https://www.scribd.com/document/3338...09-JT-December
No drilled caps?
Silver suspension? They all seem to run stiffer..

Last edited by Gordie88; 12-12-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default D09 Tidbits

I have recently changed over to the VBC family and would like to thank Dave for the first introduction to this car, and to Victor for the opportunity to represent VBC for this competition year.

Got a chance to build the D09 and thought I'd throw some of my thoughts about the car on here. These are based on the new changes to the car and some are base knowledge from previous vbc cars.

One of the changes that hasn't been mentioned much, is the new rear uprights, they have changed from one hole to two holes, so in combination with these and the new upper bulkhead holders, that now have two holes instead of three a very short link can be had. The only issue you'll run into is that the tie rod is too long at 32mm and should be changed out to 26mm. In my testing I found the original one hole upright gave me the feel I was looking for on the car, so its a nice option to tune with. The car was very responsive to this change as well which surprised me.

Another change on the car, is there is no longer a hole in the chassis for access to the pinion setscrew. The top deck has been changed to allow for access to the setscrew from the top although this is tight for adjustment now. This is probably because of the way the new motor mount is configured.

The rear body posts now mount on the back of the shock tower, so if you want to use your existing bodies from the D08 or previous, you'll have to elongate the rear holes.

The rest of the car is pretty straight forward and the car was a easy build with no issues.

I can't confirm this but the diff gears seem to be a different material and the first build on the diff is very smooth and has no tight feel to it at all.

The countersink on the screw holes of the aluminum chassis are nice and deep so no screw heads stick out, they seem to center the parts better as well.

Some parts weight comparisons;

Stock bumper = 6g
Hard bumper = 17g

Graphite chassis = 65g
Aluminum chassis = 92g

silver arms = 9g
red arms = 10g ***Ive heard that there is more of a weight difference though, but can't confirm this.

My previous car ran the gold plastics which where very durable and gave the car a good planted feel. The D09 I built with the red plastics. I feared that the arms being harder would also be more brittle, but they seem to be as durable as the previous parts, just harder and darker in color.

The new designed suspension insert holders have all but eliminated the previous issues the D08 had blowing the inserts out. Well worth the upgrade on the previous car.

Once I get some more track time on the car I'll post again. My first runs so far so the car carries good corner speed and plants itself nicely on our grey mid/high grip track.

If you have any other questions about the car, feel free to ask.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:25 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
You got your parts, right? Then who cares what destination they were shipped from. Lol.
I wasn't complaining, i was just replying to another persons post. However, sometimes it is nice to know where shipments are coming from so that a guess at an eta can be made.

I also find that i often have to pay duties on ground shipments from the usa, but not on air shipments from HK.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Gary, thanks for the writeupon the D09. It looked good on the track yesterday.
If you mount the body posts on the back of the shock tower on a D08, will they have the same spacing as the d09 so that bodies can be shared between the two models?
Old 12-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DBM
Gary, thanks for the writeupon the D09. It looked good on the track yesterday.
If you mount the body posts on the back of the shock tower on a D08, will they have the same spacing as the d09 so that bodies can be shared between the two models?
The upper camber link is really close to the posts if run on the front. I think the bulkhead is made slightly narrower than the D08, thus the use of spacers under the shocks on the towers as well, to get the proper shock angle.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:09 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The upper camber link is really close to the posts if run on the front. I think the bulkhead is made slightly narrower than the D08, thus the use of spacers under the shocks on the towers as well, to get the proper shock angle.
Was actually wondering the opposite; running the d08 posts on the rear. Was curious if the body hole locations would be the same between the d08 and d09 if the posts were mounted on the rear on the d08.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
LKF
Tech Apprentice

2nd part of the assembly of a vbc d09

In the next part of the construction of the VBC D09 continues with the drive train and the rear suspension. So far it has been running like clockwork. Each part fit perfectly into the intended place.

First of all it is a "floor" higher. Higher, yes to the top deck, which was lowered 2 mm down to the predecessor. This is made of carbon fiber and 2 mm thick.

First, we continue with the installation of the ball-bearing belt guide.
more

Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So is it confirmed the Arm Mounts from D09 will work on an 08 and help prevent pin blowouts on the inserts?

I have a D08 en route and kinda concerned about the "issue". Are guys mainly have FR suspension mount inserts breaking through, would changing to the 09 FR mount only be ok or must do FF and FR?

Guessing rear parts aren't usually much or an issue?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My D09 just arrived today! Thanks to VBC for quick shipping and full order fulfilled! I ordered many spare parts.

Cant wait to start building this weekend!

I think I'll follow Prumpers building tips too
Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would follow Lucas Urbain's setup... with holes drilled in the caps.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GimpyGolden
So is it confirmed the Arm Mounts from D09 will work on an 08 and help prevent pin blowouts on the inserts?

I have a D08 en route and kinda concerned about the "issue". Are guys mainly have FR suspension mount inserts breaking through, would changing to the 09 FR mount only be ok or must do FF and FR?

Guessing rear parts aren't usually much or an issue?
Those where the only ones that I had issues with. And yes they are a straight replacement from the D09 to the D08.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default More D09 info

Playing around with the car more, some more observations.

The D08 top decks will not fit on the D09. The bulkhead screws are different location.

The spacing between the idler gear assembly and the read bulkhead is closer on the D09, so the rear belt is shorter.

The assembly instructions suggest a shim between the bearing and the axle in the front hubs. The supplied shims are probably too thick and where causing a slight drag in my car. Took the shims out and this really freed the drive train up.

If you want to play around with top deck spacing, getting it up off the bulkheads. The lower suspension spacers that come in 0.5 and 1mm will fit the screw spacing perfect. The spacers are easier to slip in over trying to use individual spacers.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What is the advantage/gains in raising the top deck by the spacing as Gary has mentioned ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.