Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn't the Sg crank/shaft the standard

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Why isn't the Sg crank/shaft the standard

It started with a AE GT. I had more problems with clutch bell bearings burning out/ exploding on a bi-weekly basis, in addition to loosing E-clips ...... Not to mention "Ray Charles" could see the shaft runout in the stock assembly. I simply bored the clutch bell bearing surface aprox 0.002" to accept metric flanged bearings, added a few shims and spacers, reassembeling on to novarossi line Sg crank engine. Never had a problem there after. Over "One" year latter sold truck with existing bearings in excelent shape , out lasting clutch bell with wornout gear teeth. Yes, I crossed over To the Dark side, Purchasing a Adam drake. After seeing the guys with similar XXX-NT problems, I did the clutch bell/flywheel conversion allong with the new kit assembly. I now have (4) sg crank engines that I run on both XXX-NT and MTX-2. Now this isn't just about the (2) stadium trucks I owned, I have been reading the forums with sedan owners having a problem shuffaling hardeware around.....Nothing is even close to uniform. Now for a guy like me that shares with "one" person, 100 feet worth tooling and machining capabilities ( We prioritise our toys ) These are small & minute problems. How do you guys feel about more than ONE crank type?????
Old 11-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

PS: Please review my other Thread, "Piston/Sleeve Resizing Die".
Old 11-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

When Associated makes all of their cars to accept a sg crank is when we will see the end of normal/cut crankshafts...imo

Touring car guys are switching to it, but it depends on the car manufacturers. However, I can't see why they should make them any other way. I think Traxxas, while not a racing company, made a smart move by making their newest engine with a so-called IPS crankshaft. In essence, it is a sg-type crank made for applications like the GT where you would normally need to cut a standard crank. In the (far) future, it will be an sg crank or an 'ips crank'.

Last edited by Im2lazy; 11-16-2002 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Any car that requires a long shaft, ie hpi, will not work with the short sg shafts. It is an easy fix but, it's less stuff for them to sell if it go's to the short shaft.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

posted by JPHRacer

Any car that requires a long shaft, ie hpi, will not work with the short sg shafts. It is an easy fix but, it's less stuff for them to sell if it go's to the short shaft.
I'mnot quite sure what you mean? Only traxxas offers an engine w/ a short sg shaft. Are you reffering to a short (cut) normal crankshaft?
Old 11-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

All sg motors are the same leangth as a short shaft with a pilot on the end. HPI uses long shaft with a pilot on the end. An sg shaft motor will not work in an HPI without moving the motor further forward.