Suggestion for new charger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion for new charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

From what I'm told by every top matcher that I ask, step charging shows no real benefits to cells.Like was said earlier if it was that much better all the pro's would be using it and all the top charger manuf's would have that option on their top of the line chargers.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=koabich]
Originally Posted by Runin Ronin
Get the Much-More CTX Cell Master.

It's easier and lighter to transport too![/QUOTE

But why get an inferior charger to the GFX he already has? Is it just because it's smaller? That's hardley a good enough reason IMO. If he has the room for one, he can surely find enough room for the other. It's not like one is 2 pounds and the other is an elephant!
Hierog's original posts says he is looking for another charger. My understanding is that he wants to augment what he has now. I've had discussions with hierog and I told him not to choose the CTX over the GFX but, if he wants to augment the GFX with another charger... I recommend the CTX Cell Master.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

well my muchmore has pro profiles readily available on the muchmore website, and it doesnt add any time to charge time, thats why i use it anyway.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Best bang

best bang for the buck
is the ICE......step charge features, charges 3300, 3700, 3800's and lipo, yes lipos which i used for my transmitter (saves a ton of weight on my wrist). Very easy to use, easy enough for a kid to look at figure it out and a small enough size to place on top of most power supplys.

Nicest and smallest footprint is the MuchMore CellMaster quite a few guys are converting over to it....I have to say very nice piece of equipment for the price please make me a cup of coffee ...just kidding...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's kinda interesting that when you look in a oval racers pit you're most likely going to see a CE charger but when you look in a TC racers pit you don't know what you're going to see.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just sold my T35 BL to get something smaller and went with the ICE. I was looking at the Much More but I decided on the ICE because it is able to break in a motor and run a lathe. The Much More is a great charger but that is all it is and since it is around $70 more than the ICE with less features I went with the ICE.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

i have used a gfx to charge 3800's with a .2 cutoff and they still get way too hot, pulsar and cell master never get em that hot....i work for a motor company and we have everything...and i mean everything, and the GFX is a 400$ discharger. the ib's just dont like them. oh yea and hara doesnt really use step charging fyi
Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 AM

I don't care if hara uses step charging or no, I am using step charging on my own battery & like it a lot better than liner charging.

Last edited by xrcbuggy; 12-29-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=flameoutgarrett]i have used a gfx to charge 3800's with a .2 cutoff and they still get way too hot,

What are you calling way to hot? my 38's peak at 130 degrees on a GFX with a 6 amp .02 cutoff,just right.If your cells are getting way to hot with that charge set up something's wrong with your cells,or your charger.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have heard IB3800's are heat sensitive, and Eric Anderson of EA Motorsports has temp cutoff's for his batteries. Since neither of my chargers have temp sensors, i am looking to complement what I already have (just what Ronin said!). I haven't charged any batteries using the step method, so i don't have an opinion on that.

Don't get me wrong, I won't give up my GFX - it's an outstanding charger!

I do like the compact sizes of the 2 that I mentioned, plus the fact that it does so many "other" things that my GFX doesn't do.

Anybody have any information on the frontline chargers? The only person I know of on this board that tried them is Hebeki.

thanks guys

vic
Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Hyper1]
Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
i have used a gfx to charge 3800's with a .2 cutoff and they still get way too hot,

What are you calling way to hot? my 38's peak at 130 degrees on a GFX with a 6 amp .02 cutoff,just right.If your cells are getting way to hot with that charge set up something's wrong with your cells,or your charger.

to the point i can barely put them in my car......two gfx's..same results, new batts old ones u name it...even tried other peoples, does everything else great thougheven 3700's
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
i have used a gfx to charge 3800's with a .2 cutoff and they still get way too hot, pulsar and cell master never get em that hot....i work for a motor company and we have everything...and i mean everything, and the GFX is a 400$ discharger. the ib's just dont like them. oh yea and hara doesnt really use step charging fyi
Actuaclly your statement about IB's not liking the CE chargers makes a lot of sense, especially since all IB cells are matched on CE equipment

I have 3 GFX chargers. All I run are IB cells. Of couse I build and maintain my cells correctly. My peak detect is set at 0.03 at a 6 amp charge and my packs peak at a temp of 125-130 degree's 100% of the time.

But again, as you said IB's just do not like GFX chargers

How can you base YOUR bad experience and generalize it by saying that because it happened to you, it will happen to everyone?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hierog
I have heard IB3800's are heat sensitive, and Eric Anderson of EA Motorsports has temp cutoff's for his batteries. Since neither of my chargers have temp sensors, i am looking to complement what I already have (just what Ronin said!). I haven't charged any batteries using the step method, so i don't have an opinion on that.

Don't get me wrong, I won't give up my GFX - it's an outstanding charger!

I do like the compact sizes of the 2 that I mentioned, plus the fact that it does so many "other" things that my GFX doesn't do.

Anybody have any information on the frontline chargers? The only person I know of on this board that tried them is Hebeki.

thanks guys

vic
vic... sending you a PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what aare you guys opinion on the Integy 16x7V6 charger?

Will it be sufficient for the IB3800 cells or did I goof and get the wrong charger?

James
Old 12-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hebiki, PM sent back.

I don't know much about the Integy model, sorry.

My LHS threw a curve at me today and told me to get the Orion charger, but i don't remember the model. when i visited the orion site, nothing looked familiar.

koabich, would you mind sending me the profile you use on your GFX to charge your IB3800's? i'd like to give it a shot. BTW, do you have the updated version of the GFX, or the original firmware? i'll be sending mine in this week to get it updated.

thanks for the help guys, keep em coming!

vic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.