Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Looks awesome Vroomin!

You should post that on Driftmission. Your nitro drifter wold get alot of attention
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i knew I would find the drift thread. Just got me something I can learn to drift with. Right now its a bone stock TT-01E with some drift tires. 15T brushed motor from an RTR short course and a basic TX/RC combo. Running on 2S lipo packs.

Just got some drift tires tonight. Some HPI T-Drift tires cause thats all they add at the LHS and ran through half a pack. Shit this is hard to do. I thought, oh so just pull the trigger a few times and go sideways. Yeah, that didnt work so well. Guess I know what Ill be working on during my lunch break at work.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone seen 1/8 GT's drift?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoeFkling
i knew I would find the drift thread. Just got me something I can learn to drift with. Right now its a bone stock TT-01E with some drift tires. 15T brushed motor from an RTR short course and a basic TX/RC combo. Running on 2S lipo packs.

Just got some drift tires tonight. Some HPI T-Drift tires cause thats all they add at the LHS and ran through half a pack. Shit this is hard to do. I thought, oh so just pull the trigger a few times and go sideways. Yeah, that didnt work so well. Guess I know what Ill be working on during my lunch break at work.
This is how I learned to drift. All the shi7 I've seen about doing donuts and figure 8's doidn't mean shi7 once I was able to drive at a track, it a completely different ballgame. LOL, boy did I look stupid with my 60% CS Gold Edition VDF. I couldn't even make it to the first corner! Looked so easy on youtube!
But once I learned throttle control suddenly it got easier. It got even easier once I learned throttle control in combination with steering input.
Moral of the story, doing donuts and powerslides in a parking lot is one thing. Doing a controlled, neat, and stylish drift on a track is something else. A high end chassis will never beat practice.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

there is a track that does stuff wed night near my work and I have been thinking of checking it out. I just dont want to look like a complete dumbass. Im generally an offroad guy so onroad and drifting are totally new to me.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707
This is how I learned to drift. All the shi7 I've seen about doing donuts and figure 8's doidn't mean shi7 once I was able to drive at a track, it a completely different ballgame. LOL, boy did I look stupid with my 60% CS Gold Edition VDF. I couldn't even make it to the first corner! Looked so easy on youtube!
But once I learned throttle control suddenly it got easier. It got even easier once I learned throttle control in combination with steering input.
Moral of the story, doing donuts and powerslides in a parking lot is one thing. Doing a controlled, neat, and stylish drift on a track is something else. A high end chassis will never beat practice.
At 1st I just used some garden hose in my garage to setup a little track to get the hang of it and then local school/shop car parks. Drifting is great for throttle control
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

there is a track that does stuff wed night near my work and I have been thinking of checking it out. I just dont want to look like a complete dumbass. Im generally an offroad guy so onroad and drifting are totally new to me.
So far, every track I've been to has been nothing but helpful. The smart guys know that they need to help the next guy to keep their hobby alive. If it's a bunch of snobbish pricks then that's their problem not yours.
Which leads me to my rant of racers not letting drifters use the track. Or forums not giving a proper drift section lol.

Those little garage tracks made of garden hose (and whatever else happens to be on hand lol) really work wonders. Having small narrow lanes really worked my focus and control. Loved it!
The best one was the living room track we had set up. Nicely soothing since it was lit up by the fish aquariums and was great since you can sit there all day in comfort.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Looks awesome Vroomin!

You should post that on Driftmission. Your nitro drifter wold get alot of attention

it is alooot harder to do than most ppl thank...they be like heck I can do that, I'm like "20$ says u can't" and they try and I'm like na I ain't gonna take ur money cause I knew u couldn't hahahaha

Originally Posted by H0LESH0T
Anyone seen 1/8 GT's drift?
those are awesome
So far, every track I've been to has been nothing but helpful. The smart guys know that they need to help the next guy to keep their hobby alive. If it's a bunch of snobbish pricks then that's their problem not yours.
Which leads me to my rant of racers not letting drifters use the track. Or forums not giving a proper drift section lol.

Those little garage tracks made of garden hose (and whatever else happens to be on hand lol) really work wonders. Having small narrow lanes really worked my focus and control. Loved it!
The best one was the living room track we had set up. Nicely soothing since it was lit up by the fish aquariums and was great since you can sit there all day in comfort.
Heck yeah man,i used to do drifting in my living room haha, on carpet, it's where I learned heehee
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

so i love to build and tweak so let the hop-ups begin! Ill probably go through a bunch of parts before I settle, but its part of my learning process. Stopped into a LHS I hadnt hit up yet and to my surprise they had Tamiya parts so I decided to spend a few bucks. These re all Tamiya Hop-ups for now. Adjustable turnbuckles, upper camber adjustable mounts, aluminum propeller shaft and swapped out the plastic gear slow servo for a faster Spektrum S6010 that was on sale. Still not super fast but faster than what I had and has metal gears and is digital vs analog. So overall a few fun things to play with and learn with. I have still yet to paint the body but hopefully that will come this week. I also cleaned up the wiring quite a bit and cleaned up much of the dirt it has collected. It was pretty nasty before.

here is my much cleaned up wiring
Before:
After:
Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

There's so much out there for the TT-01 it's crazy. Have you ever looked at any of the Eagle drift stuff for the TT-01, they make some decent stuff.

There's some conversions out there that allow your to get rid of the suspension slop as well as lower the CG or the car. Usually I'm one to say you'r better off buying a better chassis for the amount of money you end up dumping into the tt01 but I have to admit as a Tamiya fanboy I'd love to get one and just get ridiculous.

Eagle TT01 thread

Check out Driftmission, it's alot better than this "thread"
Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

yup, been looking at the eagle stuff and I am also on driftmission. Reading a bunch over there. Yesterdays shopping was spur of the moment. Just got a little excited that a LHS actually had stuff. Most of them around here dont carry any Tamiya at all.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Speaking of Tamiya, I'm visiting the Philippines right now and my friend took me to this hobby shop. Holy shi7 that place is Tamiya fanboy heaven!!!!

Its a smallish shop but its really tight in there because it's literally packed wall to wall with mostly Tamiya stuff! The parts cabinet alone is drool worthy. All the pretty blue Tamiya stuff you ever wanted for any chassis is almost guaranteed to be there.

I'm so used to US hobby shops stocking some like control arms for a TT01, C-hubs for a TA05 and that's it. This place, wow.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

glad to see this "thread" has picked up a little!!

Chiefy I joined over on driftmission ! thanks man

I am really stuck on what to do with my TT01's right now.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Vroomin
glad to see this "thread" has picked up a little!!

Chiefy I joined over on driftmission ! thanks man

I am really stuck on what to do with my TT01's right now.
Yeah it has...and i seen ya over there man, that place is kewl lol
I got new drift tires today, and I will be working on that new skyline body today so I'll post some before and after pics

Last edited by theblitzkidd; 04-28-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Body is masked and getting ready for paint. Didnt have any black paint but I had some german gray brush stuff. Not sure how its gonna come out but the wife is the brush queen so she is applying that before I spray in the blue. First RC body painting so we will see how this goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.