Platinum Lipo

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking

Will the Orion 3200mah Lipo be enough to run my mamba max 7700 in my T2 and make 5min.

I know indoors on carpet with 4200's this system has so much torque it was breaking my diffs outdrives in half.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dougmartin
Will the Orion 3200mah Lipo be enough to run my mamba max 7700 in my T2 and make 5min.

I know indoors on carpet with 4200's this system has so much torque it was breaking my diffs outdrives in half.
From what I have seen, the Orion 3200 has run times in the same neighborhood as the 4200, with more of a linear curve. Geared right, I see no reason why 5 minutes should pose a problem.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
From what I have seen, the Orion 3200 has run times in the same neighborhood as the 4200, with more of a linear curve. Geared right, I see no reason why 5 minutes should pose a problem.
Thanks

Doug
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just noticed that my pack seemed to have swelled a little bit. There was a small gap about 2-3mm all the way around it. I never really noticed if it was like that new or not. I've only used it a few times. But I think I had it sitting for about a month pretty low.

I cut the sticker and pulled the pack apart a little bit. None of the cell packs seemed to be swelled too much. The bottom 2 packs seemed to be perfectly flat. The top one wasn't totally as smooth as the other ones. But didn't seem to be swelled much at all.

How much swelling is too much? The pack didn't smell or anything.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scrad
I just noticed that my pack seemed to have swelled a little bit. There was a small gap about 2-3mm all the way around it. I never really noticed if it was like that new or not. I've only used it a few times. But I think I had it sitting for about a month pretty low.

I cut the sticker and pulled the pack apart a little bit. None of the cell packs seemed to be swelled too much. The bottom 2 packs seemed to be perfectly flat. The top one wasn't totally as smooth as the other ones. But didn't seem to be swelled much at all.

How much swelling is too much? The pack didn't smell or anything.

Thanks.
I am sorry to be the harbor of bad news but...

It sounds like you let them discharge too low and in doing so caused a severe cell embalance which will lead to over charging once you attempted to recharge them and this is what caused the swelling which is a sign the end is near. Once it swells there is no way to bring it back it will continue to puff with every cycle as introducing voltage will now feed an electro chemical reaction that is now occuring in side the cells.

We can send it back to Kokam Korea for analysis incase it was a defect as they have ways of checking this. Though the chances are very slim it is a defect, if you are willing to send it in to us then we are willing to send it to Kokam.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think I ran it down to whatever the Mamba Max Lipo cut off is. So it should have been ok. I remember putting it back on the charger later, but don't know if I ran it again after that and then didn't re charge it.

I've charged it about 3-4 times since then and it has worked fine. But I compared it to a brand new pack at the LHS and it has a little bit of a bulge. But I don't know if it is because I pulled to pack apart a cell has swelled.

I'm not going to bother with sending it in. I'll just watch it very close and see if it gets worse. Do we need to recycle Lipos, just in case it gets worse.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Scrad
I think I ran it down to whatever the Mamba Max Lipo cut off is. So it should have been ok. I remember putting it back on the charger later, but don't know if I ran it again after that and then didn't re charge it.

I've charged it about 3-4 times since then and it has worked fine. But I compared it to a brand new pack at the LHS and it has a little bit of a bulge. But I don't know if it is because I pulled to pack apart a cell has swelled.

I'm not going to bother with sending it in. I'll just watch it very close and see if it gets worse. Do we need to recycle Lipos, just in case it gets worse.
If the battery is no longer good then the beauty of our LiPos is you can simply submerge them in salt water until the battery stops bubbling (this safely removes all remaining voltage) and then they can safely be disposed of on normal garbage as the materials inside [sans the lead in the solder] is non toxic.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

is it true orion is making a 6000mah pack?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
is it true orion is making a 6000mah pack?
I sure hope so?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Hello folks.

Just a quick question

I just charged one of my two battery packs. And i acedentaly touched black to re and red to black just for a few tenths while i was just about ready to go out for a run? I only touched for a few tenths should i continue to go out and run or is it toast.

-Lee
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
Hello folks.

Just a quick question

I just charged one of my two battery packs. And i acedentaly touched black to re and red to black just for a few tenths while i was just about ready to go out for a run? I only touched for a few tenths should i continue to go out and run or is it toast.

-Lee
There is a safety fuse inside the pack. If you shorted them for a long time it would have poped and the pack would no longer work. If you plug them in to your car and everything turns on nomally you are all good
Old 05-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

update. It's still good.

I have another question. Do i have to have my battery fully charged to go out there and run? Or can i have it charged at 7.9 to 8.1 volts?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
update. It's still good.

I have another question. Do i have to have my battery fully charged to go out there and run? Or can i have it charged at 7.9 to 8.1 volts?
Its best to charge it at least to 8.4v. You will be down a lot of power if you run with lower starting voltages. LiPo chargers are Constant Current/Constant Voltage chargers.

In the first phase of charging the charger holds a constant amount of input amps to the battery.

When the batts hits the voltage limit for a fully charged pack (8.4v in our case) it switches to constant voltage.

The charger then holds at 8.4v and as the battery fills up the input amps taper off to 0.0A, then the charge cycle is done.

When the charger switches from CC to CV charging the battery is ~80% fully charged and it is fine to run it. However, you will get more power if you let it completely charge.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

No you do not have to have a full charge.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[ edited : I put this question in the Advantage thread where it belongs .... ]

Question for Orion:

Hypothetically, if you made a 6000+ maH LIPO pack... would the Orion Advantage Carbon charge it OK?

Also, what happens if you had a NIMH2 battery require more than 5400 on a charge?

Last edited by swopemike; 05-23-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.