Old 11-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Default Redefine stock motor

Hi all,

Just wanted to know your opninion.

What raely is a stock motor.
NO don't quote the Roar rulebook to me.
That's not what I mean.

What I mean is what do we want a stock motor to be...

For starters, nowadays we have rebuildable stock/spec motors in 27, 23 19 and 17t.
In the ol'days there just was closed endbell 27t bushing 24degree (or in some cases 36 was allowed)

I know in Europe for 6cell 8min 1/12scale even a 35turns stock was used. Because then the batts we're like 1200, 1400 and later 1700mah...

What I'm trying to say is, with all those new batteries, and also new classes, isn't it about time to re-think by what we want a stock motor to be.

For instance Touring is just about the main class at this time.
But there is no real worldwide stock-spec wind specified.
27t in several countries.
23t in Asia
19t in USA
17t in Europe
All this diversity increases the price, and staggeres development.
In one wind or the other.

Nowadays we can mainain our "rebuildables". Maybe you do not realise this, but especially for TC this is a major benefit.
This is one very important improvement. And also put the door wide open for the other spec winds like mentioned above.

Also, how muw increase in the price would it be for a manufacturer to include BB instead of high-tech shaped bushings?! I talked to several, and they say nowadays this would mean a minimal increase, as oposed to a decade ago.
Or further back when stock rules were developed.

Please express your ideas and experiences.

Pizza
Old 11-12-2002, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

For 1/12th in Britain the BRCA rules state that 6-cell 'stock' motors are effectively an armature class. Any can can be used (most people use modified cans with adjustable timing, upright brushes and ball bearings) it is just the armature that must be 27x1. They are just as quick as the 4-cell modified cars which normally run around 12t.

I race 27t Stock, and think that the racing is sufficiently close and quick for both experienced and novice drivers. I have no problems with all the different designs of motors on the market given that speed wise they all seem to be pretty close.
Given that the BRCA has introduced a 19t 'spec' class for next season I will be waiting to see the comments on that this time next year before commenting on that class.

Last edited by university_dave; 11-12-2002 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

allthough i doubt the rules for stock will change anytime soon if ever, i think a good idea would be to have 6 or 12 degrees timing instead of 24 so there would less wear on the comm and the brushes. i think however the next step for stock will be brushless motors that are the equivalent to a 27t, i can see this happening in the next 5 years but who knows.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

In the USA, 19T is a spec class. We still use the 27T 24degree stock motor.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Default Stock Motors

I really like the Idea of a "Brushless" Stock motor. There can be so much difference in overall power between brushed motors depending on well you are versed in tuning.
With a "Brushless" motor no more trick brush compounds or cuts.
Keep them at 27 turns and add ball bearings. You could run a special "Brushless" stock class while they are being phased in over the next few years.
Think of the money companies will lose from not selling brushes and springs to the racers.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pizza-

Go Lakers!
Old 11-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I like the way it is now in the US. Run stock when you start then you can move up to 19t spec, and get a little experience with running faster, without worrying about dumping. Then once you get used to the higher speed, the mod class isnt as much of a jump.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

In the UK the stock motor's for anything other than 12th scale are fixed 24degrees timing, no bearings allowed and of course 27turns, price is limited to £27.50 which helps. There is often a problem at the highest level of stock racing though with drivers going to such extremes as to use one motor per run, after that the motor is chucked. Not a lot of people do this but the sponsered drivers do. There's a lot of discusion about making 19turn mod motors the new standard stock motor, with a limit of around £30, they are currently running a seperate class for this in a lot of places and I think some use it as a new stock already. This would get rid of the need for the best voltages for stock motors and you don't have any run time worries. I think they should make all stock racing a 19 turn spec class, it's not a huge increase in power but there are considerable gains elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

19t or 27t i just wish they can decide that the next best thing to do is to have B/Bearings on 27t motor and use Stand-Up brush for 19t. I heard it may be the case the new 19t will be running LD brush ?!?