Rims...

Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default Rims...

Guys,
I know that I am most likely about to be killed but... Can some one please explain how dish rims are sooo much more aerodynamic than regular open rims? I just can’t see how it can be so effective.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Just imagine how much more aerodynamic would your car be if it were to have no wheel openings. Having dish wheel help provide almost the same effect. What is happening is that airflow separation along the side of the body is minimized. Whenever there is airflow separation, there is turbulence, hence air resistance. Thats your answer in a nutshell.

As for whether there is a difference between dish and non-dish wheels for rc applications, well it depends on the track and the speeds at which you race. If you race oval, most definitely you need all the aerodynamics as possible. If you race road course that is very technical with short straight aways, probably not. However, if the straight aways are big and a large part of the course, then every little bit helps.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You aren't going to drop 4/10th a lap for running dish wheels. Like bodies, we all run what the pros run sometimes it matters alot, most times it matters a little.

Rod
Old 12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The air doesnt get in.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhigga15
Guys,
I know that I am most likely about to be killed but... Can some one please explain how dish rims are sooo much more aerodynamic than regular open rims? I just can’t see how it can be so effective.
Thanks

It isn't about aerodynamics people...it's about strength.

A solid dish wheel will resist breakage alot more than a spoked one. It's that simple. The aerodynamics involved are so meaningless as to not even matter.

Plus...don't believe any keyboard jockey that'll tell you otherwise, 'cause they're full of it.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

It's Negligable, meaning you won't see a difference either way
Old 12-19-2005, 06:04 PM
tc1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So explain wheel dots if aero doesnt matter??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc1
So explain wheel dots if aero doesnt matter??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I'll explain it; no one uses them. Those who do are using for looks or imagining.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Dish or no dish...I feel that we won't be able to feel the diff...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's just for strength.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The main reason I use dish wheels is because of the strength. They are more aerodynamic but the difference is not noticeable. They are also nice and easy to keep clean. Spoked wheels are harder to keep clean.

Spoked wheels are fine if you are after something that looks nice but for racing dish is the only way to go. When you look at how much of a pain in the a$$ it is gluing up tires and then look at the cost, the last thing you want to do is scrap a set of tires because of a wheel breaking.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Actually, over here in the uk last year, some mates of mine got into a conversation with Craig Drescher over wheels. One interesting comment he said was that he found spoke wheels to give more steering than dish... guess what happened at the next meeting, loads of people running spokes (Proline attacks look good... but i always prefered the multi-spokes )
Now more than anything thats to do with the way the wheel flex's under load. With a dish the edge of the rim will be supported all the way round, whereas with a spoke there will be sections that flex, and hence more grip.

Now there would also be an aerodynamic effect, but given that you can't shrink air, it's hardly noticeable, even for a pro (i.e. not me )

Still it's a bit of a moot point for me atm, most of the series I'm currently running have pre-guled control tyres, and they are all dish wheels. At least it's the same for everyone.

HiH
Ed
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

wild...some very good points, but how come Nitro dose not use dish? It seems that the rims need to be stronger there b/c of the weight and speeds and time of the races.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some Nitro tires are mounted on dish wheels. Speedmind, and I know one of the GRP types are on dish wheels.

You are right tho, most of the Nitro stuff is on spoked wheels......
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Rims, My 10c

Interesting about the Spoke Vs Dish Try hard,

My 2c............

i use to regulaly run at a very open and large track based on 3 netball courts. Grip was way down, and the barriers were strips of aluminium bolted to 1.5inch square "C" channel , which was intern bolted to the track.

VERY unforgiving!!!!! On the many times you would brush, graze slam or side swipe the barriers, if you used spokes, (nylon or plastic) and caught the head of a bolt, it would tear the rim to pieces. Many a person lost wheels to this. Went to a dish rim, and because its a smmooooth surface, it did little more than scratch the rim.

No more corners ripped off!

Try hard, will have to compare the grip using spoke and dish!

My 2c......

Thanx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.