Best Radio for Nitro CArs??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Radio for Nitro CArs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

When you use the 3PK and Specktrum, does the module stick out, unlike the one that came with it?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Anybody??
Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think its actually in a bit I know people have to do some sort of trimming I believe. Just wait for the FUTABA Spektrum system due out very soon.

Fits perfect im sure and also comes with a wireless RX....
Old 02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Osiris
When you use the 3PK and Specktrum, does the module stick out, unlike the one that came with it?
If you mean, can you put the cover back on the radio with the spektrum module in it, the answer is no. I tried using spektrum with my 3PK and I didn't like it. I sent 2 of them back to Horizon for re-programing and they still did not work right. I'm now using PCM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

I have seen ppl did modify the cover a little to get that fit with the spektrum, but UNLESS you have a very good hand and craftmanship, I would not recommand you to do so......most ppl just insert the Spektrum module, and not using the cover (cause the antenna is in the way).

I think the FUTABA one is just the same, cannot use the cover unless Futaba themself create a new one just for the Spektrum.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I modified the cover to fit the Spektrum using a body reamer, then just "cleaned" up the edges with a dremel and it fits very nicely now.....also gives the module a bit of added protection from fuel etc
Cheers
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

I did the same as my module seemed to be a bit loose, the end closest to the old aerial popped out if it got bumped so had to dremel the cover and now fits perfectly.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default menu operation

As people have stated, personal preference is of course key, but something that should be mentioned...easy of menu operation.

I continue to be amazed at how many people spend big money for killer radios, but never use any of their functions (ahem...Rookie, are your ears burning?)

Seriously, being able to navigate thru the key features of the radio (exponential, for example) without needing to refer to the manual is key to me. Some people complain about the large display on the M11, but to me, this makes the features easier and clearer to adjust trackside...and in turn more features get used.

my $.02
TC_Tuner
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

i too have modified the 3pk module cover to work with the spektrum and it too fits perfectly.all you need is a dremel and a texta to mark out where you need to grind.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I got my radio so I can use spektrum. Not like spektrum makes anything for the mid lvl computerized radio's anyway.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
As people have stated, personal preference is of course key, but something that should be mentioned...easy of menu operation.

I continue to be amazed at how many people spend big money for killer radios, but never use any of their functions (ahem...Rookie, are your ears burning?)

Seriously, being able to navigate thru the key features of the radio (exponential, for example) without needing to refer to the manual is key to me. Some people complain about the large display on the M11, but to me, this makes the features easier and clearer to adjust trackside...and in turn more features get used.

my $.02
TC_Tuner
Good luck playing with your 950R Centax clutch....I know where I need to go (BEER) when you need someone to adjust the clutch gap and end play...LOL (did you get the 950R all cleaned up for this summer...?)
Old 02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner

my $.02
TC_Tuner
I use reading glasses and really find the screen of the 3PK helps a lot.....especially when racing under floodlights, the backlight allows you to change settings without reaching for a torch. I found the Futaba 3PM a good radio, but only having a small LED pilot light to see the screen makes it very difficult when racing under artificial light.
The large screen of the 3PK also makes it a breeze for accessing the menu`s
Cheers
Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default radios

I think if you are not racing then get the ones you can afford. If you racing, the primary concern is the weight and comfortability. Because if the radio is heavy then u get tired too easily and yr concentration start to slip and this leads to slip ups. Also you need to think your driving posture. Some like to the sponge on the wheel real hard or some like it soft. Some like the wheel tilted down so the other hand don't have to raise too high. My suggestion is to get a feel of the radios and see what is the best for you. Also if you use it for long race it might be a good idea is use a neck strap.

Originally Posted by B4
I tried the neck strap but found it annoyed me. I used the radio the other day for 5 x 30min sessions and not once did I think about the weight.

I also have a EX-10 Helios and I think that is a better radio as far as feeling goes, but it is just isn't as easy to configure (read intuitive).
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slide_228
I think if you are not racing then get the ones you can afford. If you racing, the primary concern is the weight and comfortability. Because if the radio is heavy then u get tired too easily and yr concentration start to slip and this leads to slip ups. Also you need to think your driving posture. Some like to the sponge on the wheel real hard or some like it soft. Some like the wheel tilted down so the other hand don't have to raise too high. My suggestion is to get a feel of the radios and see what is the best for you. Also if you use it for long race it might be a good idea is use a neck strap.
Great advice.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

What is the difference between a computerized radio vice non computerized. I prefer the Hitec CRX. I just love the feel and its super light. I've held the 3pk and m11 just did not like the feel. seemed a lot heavier than my CRX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.