Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle XLX vs. XL2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Castle XLX vs. XL2

What's up guys? I know there are a few threads and some info out there on this subject already but I figured I'd post my findings and conclusion! Ok the main differences between the two are:

XLX
Current limiting: max of 260A but can be disabled
Has the aux cable
More caps

XL2
Current limiting: max of 300A but CANNOT be disabled
No aux cable
Less caps

I recently bought the MGT7 kit and the XLX to go in it for an 8S setup! Me, not knowing what to expect, I thought it was pretty quick! It definitely accelerated slower than my rustler that's on 6S but I really didn't give it much thought since the MGT7 is 2lbs heavier than the rustler! I started talking with tc4basher/Bay area fast rc and realized that with the gearing I'm running atm I should be seeing numbers around 125-135mph! He suggested that I turn the current limiting up to the max of 260A and yes it did make a lil difference over the default setting of 220A but nothing major! I could mash the throttle all the way and still not be able to spin the tires! So I broke down and ordered the XL2 and all I can say is WOW, they're two completely different esc's, the MGT7 is faster at half throttle with the XL2 than full throttle with the XLX no exaggerating whatsoever, current limiting set to max and all it just doesn't matter! So anyway that's my rant/ conclusion, y'all can make your own conclusion but I'm completely convinced!

Last edited by MallenP30; 05-06-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

This is kind of disappointing because I own an XLX but am not sure if I want to install it in my X-Maxx. What kind of batteries and KV motor are you running?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
This is kind of disappointing because I own an XLX but am not sure if I want to install it in my X-Maxx. What kind of batteries and KV motor are you running?
I'm running SMC batteries, 1700kv motor but none of that matters, the ESC is just completely de-tuned and dummie proofed! Now it may me alright for bashing and all but for speed runs it's a joke, it literally feels like half throttle when at full no exaggerating! If enough people complain about it and bring it to the light maybe castle will put an update out that unlocks the power it's capable of, but for now mine's gonna be collecting dust!
Old 04-19-2016, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Default Great Video Comparing XLX and XL2

https://youtu.be/foiRZU5UVTA

Get your heads out of your asses Castle Creations and admit how badly your "upgraded" XLX is detuned. I hope no one else wastes their money on this POS ESC.

MallenP30 you should post this in the Radio/Electronics forum too.

Last edited by tc4basher; 04-19-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just spoke with Castle about a few things. Castle has put a stricter safe guard on their new ESC's because they don't want customers burning them up and sending them in for warranty because they're pushing them too hard. The guy in the video is pushing 361 amps and who knows how much ripple through his ESC's and the new ESC's will limit the power once certain thresholds are reached. Castle is looking into this and may increase the limit a little bit but there's no definitive answer at this time.

My MMX is providing really good power for me with a 40x75 motor and 146 amps. We'll see what happens when I put a 40x102 motor on it and increase the load.

For the guy who is having success with the XLX and going 128 mph with it, we need to see the data logs to know what kind of numbers are working good with that ESC. It is very concerning to see more and more people complain about power output. MallenP30, do you have some data logs to share of your setup when it's on the XL2?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 0verkill
I just spoke with Castle about a few things. Castle has put a stricter safe guard on their new ESC's because they don't want customers burning them up and sending them in for warranty because they're pushing them too hard. The guy in the video is pushing 361 amps and who knows how much ripple through his ESC's and the new ESC's will limit the power once certain thresholds are reached. Castle is looking into this and may increase the limit a little bit but there's no definitive answer at this time.

My MMX is providing really good power for me with a 40x75 motor and 146 amps. We'll see what happens when I put a 40x102 motor on it and increase the load.

For the guy who is having success with the XLX and going 128 mph with it, we need to see the data logs to know what kind of numbers are working good with that ESC. It is very concerning to see more and more people complain about power output. MallenP30, do you have some data logs to share of your setup when it's on the XL2?
Yea I was just out this past weekend and did some test runs with both the XLX and XL2, I'll download the logs when I get home from work! The videos are on YouTube also just search Mike Powell, I don't have the editing part quite figured out yet so they are a little Long so just fast-forward if you have to lol
Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

https://youtu.be/9HYlkUwlmUY
https://youtu.be/rtTAfvMuOdo
https://youtu.be/bfmim7HosT8
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry it won't let me post the URLs, it says I don't have enough posts yet
Old 04-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MallenP30
https://youtu.be/9HYlkUwlmUY
Great tests and beautiful MGT7 you got there Mike!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default My Horrible Experience with the XLX and Castle's Tech Support

I installed a Castle XLX esc in my Kyosho Inferno GT2 to power my 6s max Cordova Research motor. I noticed immediately that it felt really slow. Full throttle feels like half throttle. Looked at my data logs and my suspicions were confirmed. On 6s it only made 2 HP, 111 amps. I was expecting at least 10 HP.

I called castle tech support and they said to email them my data logs. I did that and no response. I called them maybe 4 days later and their lead tech support guy, Thomas said everything looked normal and to try different batteries and email the logs with other batteries. I put in my best batteries and it still felt pathetically slow. Sent them the logs which were about the same as the first XLX log i sent.

I knew something wasn't right so I installed a XL2 and I got an immediate change. The car is a monster with the XL2. Power jumped up to 10.2 HP, 361 amps. Emailed the Xl2 logs. 5 emails later and still no response. Its been about a month now.

The XLX is majorly detuned in hopes people dont have as many failures. Castle does not want to admit this and just ignores my emails.

I know castle does not like people using their products for speed but we are the ones making them rich. In the last year and a half I have purchased around 20 Castle ESCs, 10-15 motors, and a ton of their accesories. I guess this is how they treat their best customers.

They are advertising the XLX as an upgrade over the XL2 and hoping to sell as many as possible until people catch on that this "upgraded" ESC is a POS while ignoring the great customers looking for answers and support.

I have lost almost all respect for Castle Creations.

Sorry for the long post but I had to let off some steam and rant.

Last edited by tc4basher; 04-19-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

tc4 basher's datalog. sorry so late bro

Old 04-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MallenP30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HYl...ature=youtu.be

nice car !
Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by phildoggg
tc4 basher's datalog. sorry so late bro

Thanks phildoggg. You still got the XL2 log?

Everytime I try to upload a pic, it says upload failed.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

I called Castle today also to find out the details. The guy was honest with me and told me that yes they do limit power and Castle is aware of the video that was posted comparing the ESCs. He had to give me the company line that they did this because people were pushing the ESCs beyond what they were designed for so they modified them. It makes sense I get it. If I ran a business I would not want to back warranty claims from speed run guys like myself that plan to push them until they fry. He hinted at a software release that might give us more power but he could not give any details out or a timeline. I get that too. This reminds me of Traxxas' stance on the X-Maxx ESCs.

The bottom line is this - Castle should make us sign something that shows we agree that we cannot file for a warranty replacement if we press the unlock button to let the XLX loose with all of the power we can put through it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
I called Castle today also to find out the details. The guy was honest with me and told me that yes they do limit power and Castle is aware of the video that was posted comparing the ESCs. He had to give me the company line that they did this because people were pushing the ESCs beyond what they were designed for so they modified them. It makes sense I get it. If I ran a business I would not want to back warranty claims from speed run guys like myself that plan to push them until they fry. He hinted at a software release that might give us more power but he could not give any details out or a timeline. I get that too. This reminds me of Traxxas' stance on the X-Maxx ESCs.

The bottom line is this - Castle should make us sign something that shows we agree that we cannot file for a warranty replacement if we press the unlock button to let the XLX loose with all of the power we can put through it.
I doubt any firmware update that may or may not come out will restore the 80% power difference (2 hp vs 10 hp) that I experienced between the 2 ESCs. They are just buying time by saying they may come out with a power restoring update.

An unlock button that voids the warranty would work. Anything is better than this gutless POS XLX I got tricked into buying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.