Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Castle XLX vs. XL2

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bugetbasher
Thank you Mr.phildogg, not happy about situation, first build for speed run and now this. Think I will break down and buy xl2, come to far to turn back now. Are there any other big ESC that anyone has had luck with? Seen many options, 300/400 amp, most are for heli or boat. Alien? Vxp? Any suggestions or opinions would be great.
Never seen anyone using Alien or VXP but I am curious about them. XL2 is what most use for 8s speed runs. Luckily I have a spare brand new XL2. I dont know what I will do when these are gone.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tc4basher
The Hobbywing Max 5 200a ESC is also A POS. If you try running more than 1000kv on 8s or 1600kv on 6s the throttle will cut out after 1 or 2 seconds of WOT. Hobbywing told me this is a safty mode it goes into. Did manage 113 mph one time with it on the same setup exact setup I went 134 mph with a XL2. Dont waste your money on Hobbywing either. Only good 1/5 option for speed is XL2 but they are all gone now.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. There's little real-life info around on the HobbyWings being used successfully for speed stuff.

Never seen anyone using Alien or VXP but I am curious about them. XL2 is what most use for 8s speed runs. Luckily I have a spare brand new XL2. I dont know what I will do when these are gone.
Lizard tried an Alien Power System 8S 250A Gen3 once, but wasn't very impressed: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...848#post428848

SkyRC Toro Beast seems to struggle with some issues as well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2573823&page=2
Old 04-24-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

It is hard to believe that the XL2 is the only option. What are people like Nic Case and Tim Smith using in their cars?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
It is hard to believe that the XL2 is the only option. What are people like Nic Case and Tim Smith using in their cars?
I believe they run 12s so probably Castle Phoenix ESCs.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Happy with everyone's input on the situation. There is another thread on here same topic that seems a little more heated. Castle this,hobbywing that, guys need to get over yourself and your ego's. Nobody cares about that much, think most of us would just like a good ESC that does what it says. I have come to the conclusion that either purchase a xl2 or wait for update. I impatient so xl2 for me, I will hold on to my xlx, find something to do with it. Let the buyer beware!
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

I believe they run 12s so probably Castle Phoenix ESCs.
Do you have any links to information on guys running those in cars?

Last week I thought I had time to order a Castle XL2 but someone bought the last eight that were in stock where I was looking - in one day! Hopefully Castle unlocks the XLX.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 AM
Tech Addict

Last week I thought I had time to order a Castle XL2 but someone bought the last eight that were in stock where I was looking - in one day! Hopefully Castle unlocks the XLX.
Here is a Serpent Cobra GT with 12s Castle Phoenix ESC:

https://youtu.be/eP3-sXDe_s8
Old 05-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

There's still some XL2s out there, I just ordered one today so I have a backup in case anything happens to the one I'm running
Old 05-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

could we change the programing on these new ones?
I just about bought 2 of the XLX thinking they were better.....
Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Does the mamba monster x have these same issues?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brushless55
could we change the programing on these new ones?
I just about bought 2 of the XLX thinking they were better.....
You can change the programming just like the xl2. Sorry to hear that Castle tricked you too into thinking the XLX is a upgrade over XL2. What a fraud! They still won't even announce anything hoping to trick as many people as they can still.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mp0wer
Does the mamba monster x have these same issues?
Yes
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

You can change the programming just like the xl2. Sorry to hear that Castle tricked you too into thinking the XLX is a upgrade over XL2. What a fraud! They still won't even announce anything hoping to trick as many people as they can still.
yeah this sucks man..
but even if we change the programing around, it sounds like the newer version still does not allow our motors to run full tilt ?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

There's still one more test I wanna try with the XLX, as I stated before the current limiting can be disabled on it! The test I ran was with the limiting set to the max of 260A, so I'll throw it back on and disable the limiting to see if it makes a difference
Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Tech Addict

Last week a Castle Link update was released, with "Added initial production firmware for the Mamba XL X": http://www.castlecreations.com/downl...stle_link.html. However, it seems there isn't any change in the firmware, as it is still v1.72 released 11/10/2015, see below... so not sure why that was listed in the Link update.

After updating the Link software to v3.63.00, I ran my XLX ESC a bit in a 10 kg 4WD Maverick Vader buggy, geared for 63 mph on-road on 2x5Ah 6s 65C Turnigy Graphenes with a 1195 kv TP Power TP5670 6-pole motor. Test-drive ended early because of motor issue, so I don't have a whole lot of input yet.

Torque control and punch control were disabled, start power set to low and Current limiting set to insensitive (220A). It did reach a little over 200A draw, but somehow it feels as if the power kicks in a bit delayed, like turbo lag. Best graph of throttle response I got is shown below, but I was modulating throttle too much to draw any conclusions on this I think.

Will change gearing now for 66 mph off-road on stock tires, 8S and with an 1165 kv Leopard 5698, while the TP's shaft is curing. Should be nice weather coming days, so might be able to run it before the weekend.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.