Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Keep a full set of arms (front upper and lower and rear) set of pillow balls, clutch parts, clutch bearings (stock up on these. I'm changing them every race day to be safe.) hinge pins. Pretty much spare parts you'd stock for any other car. I broke my car for the first time this last weekend. Has anyone ever had the lower pillow ball pull out of the suspension arm? I had it happen twice. Once on each side on the same day. Cost me a fast qualifier and a second bump up into the A at the Saturday series.
Had the same problem this weekend Major meeting for a bump up into the A main also , landed a bit out of square from a triple jump and pulled the Pivot ball clean out of the arm . Been running for years and have never had this happen
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Hello, I just ran my MBX5 on the track for the first time and I it handled pretty good but I couldn't turn tight at all. Every corner was wide. It seems that there isn't enough steering throw left and right. I've heard people say that the standard X-5 doesn't have a lot of steering. Are there any mods I can do to the steering?
you can do the R front arms and up rights, but to be honest sounds like you dont have your brakes set up right for how you drive. i tap my brakes when i turn the whole car rotates very easy.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The 48T center spur is no larger than the 46T. The exact same size. Just deeper grooves for the teeth.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here are a few reference pics....

Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Theoretically, the 48t gear shouldn't give a different actual ratio than the 46t. A true gear ratio is the ratio between circumference of two circles. If these two circles are the same diameter they should produce the same ratio, regardless of tooth count. I am told the differece is noticable so what do I know...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That makes no since to me. You're right, the tooth count doesn't mean anything if the gears are the same diameter. I've never seen that on any other car. What's the point? I just don't see how there can be any difference in the feel.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mugen Bros, i tried 14cb/48spur last sundays race here........great!! topend and torque way better than my previous 14/46 and 13/46..., im using ninja bo1 and ninja pipe with long manifold.....bad a$$ mugen mbx5 ive got!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The gears are the same size so that it does not cause mesh problems. It's the same way with on-road cars. We can change gears without touching the gear mesh. So on the off-road you can do the same thing.

Last edited by quietstorm76; 05-08-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
you can do the R front arms and up rights, but to be honest sounds like you dont have your brakes set up right for how you drive. i tap my brakes when i turn the whole car rotates very easy.
Hey thanks for the info. I'll try the brakes first and then I'll change to the R parts.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Theoretically, the 48t gear shouldn't give a different actual ratio than the 46t. A true gear ratio is the ratio between circumference of two circles. If these two circles are the same diameter they should produce the same ratio, regardless of tooth count. I am told the differece is noticable so what do I know...
Dave,

Actually the motor (clutch bell) needs to turn 3.69 times with the 48T spur opposed to 3.54 times with the 46T spur gear (13T clutch bell). So the diameter has nothing to do with the ratios. With a belt on a pulley, then it would make sense

Best regards,
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

I posted this on the S-grid a few weeks ago ....

Stock Losi 8ight buggy: 43/13 Ring & Pinion, 48/13 Spur & CB = 12.21:1

Stock Mugen buggy: 40/12 Ring & Pinion, 46/13 Spur & CB = 11.79:1

Mugen with 48T Spur Gear = 12.31:1

...and people wonder why the Losi accelerates so hard.....LOL

Sure the Losi 8ight is lighter (mostly saved weight in the drive train too), but it is geared much lower as well. The 48T spur gear on the Mugen makes them much closer.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by REVOS5
Hello RCTECH

I am in the market for an MBX-5R. I used to drive an XB8, but couldn't get the rear end to calm down at all.

Few questions. Which tires/wheels work best with this buggy. I read about the diff o-ring/gasket problem. What's that about? How does it compare to the 8ight?

Thanks in advance.
On the diff o-rings, make sure you use a lot of grease on the o-rings and outdrives. Use the Mugen Super Grease, Mobil 1 synthetic grease (sold at any auto parts store) or the Maxima synthetic grease (sold at most motorcycle shops). The stock S5 o-rings work, but you can also use the slightly thicker ones sold at many online shops (mine included....shameless plug ). On the diff gaskets some guys use one gasket, while others double up. I used to use one and never had a leak, but use double gaskets now since the diffs just feel smoother to me. But the key is to use a 3x12mm flat head instead of the OEM 3x8mm flat heads the manual calls for and what's included in the car kit. The short 8mm screws don't grab well enough for you to get any good torque on the gears.

Best regards,
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think that is a good point about the size and not the teeth. If the tooth count actually mattered the 415 would be way off since it only has half the teeth on the pulleys. Also if you had enough force to hold them together you would not even need teeth, friction would drive them. Bigger tires go faster than smaller ones right. By the way i am saying i am an expert, just pointing out what makes sense to me.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

How does it compare to the 8ight?

[/QUOTE]

THE MUGEN IS the best buggy i ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i've had plenty....
Old 05-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by tcmerf
I think that is a good point about the size and not the teeth. If the tooth count actually mattered the 415 would be way off since it only has half the teeth on the pulleys. Also if you had enough force to hold them together you would not even need teeth, friction would drive them. Bigger tires go faster than smaller ones right. By the way i am saying i am an expert, just pointing out what makes sense to me.

The outer diameter of the gears are the similar in size to accommodate the chassis but it is the tooth count and gear pitch that determines it's final ratio. If it was a friction drive than the diameter of the gears would determine the ratio. Actually a smaller tire turns faster than a larger one. I also don't claim to be an expert just speaking from experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.