Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a good idea for rough tracks. We are in the process of building a larger new track and I would guess the track will be rough the 1st mo. of racing it in April. The dirt seems that it will be somewhat hard packed. So I would guess the light blue springs could work.
The area of Kentucky I race at is a dirt/clay mixture. I would think it will take time to make smooth.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am going to run a msrx5t and was wondering what springs to run. When I look at a-main web page the springs for the truck are the short springs. Is this what is suggested for the msrx5t?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I hear most run standard length white springs on the front and standard Grey rears. I think short springs would be a bad idea since the larger tires/wheels cause the car to go deeper into it's down travel.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

True,
I would have to say the more A arm travel the better in buggy and truck. If you want to deal with travel, try adjusting the droop without changing to shorter springs.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I like the stock Mugen grays on rough tracks and run them most of the time. The whites work well on smooth tracks.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So Kyracer...still want that bet for this year?!?!
Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

runnin "your mouth" rc10, yeah he'll still take that bet!! cause you won't see any gs-cl1's winning there, there's only 1 fool runnin one now and it will be broken, with no one around with parts to fix it!!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

You got that right BARNES!!! Running will only be running to the hobby shop to get parts.

Sparkes jumped on the wrong bandwagon. The bet will stand and Mugen will win. The only buggy I worry about is the one Nathen drives. The only proven threat on the track in our area.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Please both of you....Barnes...I dont think youve beat me yet....at least on a day that ive run more than 1 heat Johson didnt beat me once all winter long. Ya'll can make as many excuses as you want...I own the crown to my smack talk. Till either of you shut me up........i'll see you at the track....and i'll be on top of the podium.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

kyracer... the shorter springs, be they blue, gray, or white, are a good tuning option for tracks with a variety of terrain. It is wrong to assume, though, that a shorter spring will reduce you travel. You will still have the same amount of travel, the spring will just be compressed more for its size thus creating the progressive feel. A shorter Shock Tower will reduce your up travel, but not the spring.

If you have a fairly rough track with larger jumps and you experience bottoming problems, i.e. the chassis is slapping the ground, try the short blues. Soft for good rough handling, but the spring rate ramps up more at the end of its travel than the standard gray, or blue for that matter. just an option.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

I tried the blue springs on our new track. They seem to work pretty good. Its still to hard to tell if it will be better. The tack still needs some loven before it is truely race ready. This coming weekend I will try both grey and blue to get the difference in feel. From the way the buggy looked it seemed really hooked up other then the areas of the track that needs work. Those areas are so bad it would upset a truggy.

Runnin,

I dont know which thread you think your on but this is offroad. The last time I raced you in offroad you were not having a good day. I dont think I ever saw you finish a race in 8th scale. Its always the same old story. My engine problems, my shocks are not rebounding correctly. Problems are all I hear from you. Now you got a GS buggy that you raced one time and want to sell it.
Trust me I have NO fear of someone who cant get his buggy off the pit table.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Last night I was thinking that the short grays might be a nice deal too for rough tracks... I just don't know at which point in the travel the short gray spring rate will be higher than the standard gray spring rate. If there is a good inch of ramp-up before it gets stiffer than standard it might be the hot ticket.
But I was messing with my springs earlier, and it feels like the short blues actually match the gray spring rate after about 1 to 1.5 inches of compression... that was by hand though so how accurate my test is who knows.

Pretty cool though, nice and soft in that first inch or so, then just like the grays for big hits.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

The only way I can tell about setup is just try it on the track.
Spring change is something that I dont change much. The changes that I often change is the rear toe, tires, and rear camber angle.

I dont know if its just the way I adjust for track conditions but I dont make alot of adjustments to the front of the buggy. Other then the camber angle.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

That's a good philosophy on dirt. Once you have a decent set-up that you can drive well, it should work on all tracks... more or less.

I always try to get my car to look like the pros do, with a seemingly unattainable rotation that is like spinning a plate on a stick, but they are totally hooked. No tire scuffing at any corner, just astounding acceleration and flawless handling. Do I achieve this very often? NO! But it's what I work toward. Seems like most important in dirt is tire choice, every thing else is minor fine tuning... And all this bantor is just supposition and conjecture.

I just like to hear what I have to say.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

I agree that tires are 1 on the list but im always trying to make the small changes that will improve corner speed. Sometimes I get lucky for the track im racing on and my buggy is hooked UP but most often im fine tuning.
I wish my tuning skills were better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.