Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

they had an anouncement at that toy fair in nuremberg a couple months ago about them making a true truggy with long arms and such.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am wanting to get a truggy, however I am not sure If I should wait or if that wait will be a long time. Maybe it will not be hard to convert it to long arm once the true truggy kit comes out?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, I need a little help I've been running 1/10 scale. But not 1/8 I just came across brand new in box mbx-5, before I put this together I hear guys talking about o rings. To change them first. But nobody ever says what size and where to get them, and also something about anchor arm I think that's what he called it. Again didn't save what to change into or where you get it so before I start to put this kid together. If there is any upgrade parts I would like to do it now. So if anybody has any suggestions what I need I would appreciate the information. Thank you
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You can get the orings that you need from www.carolinasrc.com or www.mbx5parts.com (same place I think). When building the diffs, the instructions call for small orings behind the 4 bevel gears. Throw them away. I have never heard of anyone running them. Use only the orings that seal the outdrives.

I think the anchor arm you are referring to is the ackerman arm. It is the drag link that the steering rods are connected to. You want to shim this upward 2-2.5mm. This reduces the bumpsteer that is designed into the car.

I will also be a good idea to go to www.mugenracing.com and download Jason Ashton's 2004 Nationals setup and put that into the car. Once the car is built it could take a while to change the diff oils to the correct weights (5k front, 7k center, 2k rear). Easier to do it durring the build. You will need to change the fluid every few races. You probably don't have euro shock oils (the weights speced on the mugen spec sheets). Just use losi 30wt in the rear and 32.5 or 35 up front. Everything else about the kit is great. Enjoy it.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default MSR truggy

My local hobby shop has a Mugen truggy kit for sale.I was thinking about buying it.I dont know if it is the long arm kit you guys are talking about but it is based off the MBX-5.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Davidka, I've found that web site that you said and they have the orings, I'm going to see if I can track down mugen oil 5k-7k-2k and you wore right it is called ackerman I love when guys talk about the hobby because they know about it and they take it for granted that you know what is talking about but I will learn. So thanks and if you could think of anything else that I might need would be appreciated I will order to parts before I start to build so thanks to get back.l
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, on looking for a part that's called ackerman it's for mbx-5. i can't find in their manual or on their part list, Is it called something else. i even looked up a couple of hoppy shops on the internet. So if anyone knows who carries this or if it goes under different name i would really really appreciate. if someone would tell me. thank you
Old 03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Bob, here are a few that should work.

Aftermarket=
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3037

Aftermarket=
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2077

Optional MBX5=
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/1841

Aftermarket=
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3094

Stock I think!
http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=9061

That should keep ya busy!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

What is wrong with the akerman brace that comes with the Prospec? It looks really good and I think its 5mm thick.

Also a little (+) bump steer is good for mid corner steering. Well I like a little positive for my driving style.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The Prospec ackerman is great. I think that RC10bob has the stock MBX5. Just about everyone uses this setting on their car, I've kind of accepted it as a standard I guess. There is still some bump steer with this change, just not as much.

I use the eck-tec ackerman link that has the bumpsteer correction machined into it.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi, I want to thank SB57 for those e-mails their great. My buggy is mbx-5 new in the box it's not the Pro. So be for I assembled it if there were any upgrade parts I wanted to do it now. I've read some old magazines on the mbx-5 so tonight's and he said to make sure you change ackerman arm and when I looked in the manual it didn't show that part. So thanks everybody all the information that I got. I will put it into the buggy. And somebody said that the Pro ackerman is 5 mm thick then the stock one I will buy that one so thanks everybody it helps.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Something new I saw was what the Euros are using.
Eck Tec Special Shortened Front Shock Tower - MBX5 and progress short springs. I saw them for sell on Carolinas rc web site. This is the subject that always throws me for a loop.
My question is if the shock tower is shorter as it said in the add and it lowers the shock mounts which I think lowers the center of gravity which helps in corner speed. If thats the case would it not decrease the shock travel and ground clearance?? Which I would think would be bad for US track. Which often has large jumps and can be bumpy.

If anyone knows what I am talking about please edutate me.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is something I've seen used in TC Racing as well. I have not seen the part they are using, but I would assume they are probably also mounting their shocks on the inner most hole of the tower as well, leaning the shocks in as much as possible. Yes, they will lose a little up travel, but in Europe they usually race on grass tracks that are much flatter than ours so gobs of up-travel aren't necessary. The shorter springs will also ramp up in rate quicker which means supple on small bumps, much harder on big hits. This work alot like a sway bar to limit chassis roll. The ground clearance would stay the same because you are moving the shock body down, not shortening the shaft. Another thing to think about is the shock piston will be further into the shock body at ride height, therefore compression damping will be stiffer for a given oil weight due to the pressurized system.
To make a long story short, this is a good idea for smooth, fast tracks. In the USA... a big NoNo... unless you like bent shock shafts and blown bladders etc.
I DO think the shorter springs are a nice tuning option though. On a typical US set-up, they give you some nice progressive half-steps in spring choices, like if you have a rough track but still some decent sized jumps, the short blues will soak up the stutter bumps real well and allow the car to float, but still have enough spring to avoid blowing through your travel on hard landings and big hits. Have to play with oil a little to find the perfect set-up though.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

I knew the Euro tracks we flater and had other surfaces then just dirt. Which I could see these shock options being put to use. Over in the states I would not think it would be worth the headache of dealing with the setup change.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The MSR X5T kit at the hobbyshops right now is a standard MBX5 buggy with the MSR conversion. The buggy parts replaced by the MSR conversion are removed making it easier and cheaper to build a MSR X5T without having to buy both seperate and selling the un-used buggy parts.

The long arm truggy is not due until later this summer. Kenji Osaka is designing and testing it in Japan now. I put together my own Long Arm Conversion kit for the MSR X5T that uses all the stock buggy arms. You can read more about it on my website.

As for the Mugen shock & diff oils, you can get them from Carolina's R/C as well as the ackerman. I run the KingHeadz ackerman. It is 5mm thick and has the 3mm in it for the reduced bump-steer. You should also buy a set of the new lower front arms and front uprights. They allow for 10% more turning. The kit comes with the gray springs. On rough tracks the light blue springs work great. I would also pick up a set of them to have as a tuning option. The rest of the car is SOLID!

Best of luck,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.