Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TCS chassis selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TCS chassis selection

Been lurking here for a while and wanting to get into TC. Currently i have a M18 but want to get a 1/10 car. Been looking at getting into TCS GT2 class as it seems it wouldnt be as hard on the wallet. My question is what car to start with? Been thinking about a TA05 or a TB02. Seems to me that there is more available for the TB02 as its been around longer and shares parts with the EVOIV. Will the TA05 end up with the hop up support that the Tb02 has? Seems People are suggesting that Tamiya isnt comming out with stuff as fast as they think they should. Thanks in adavnce and hopefully the worms stay in the can on this one
Old 12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It all depends on what you want to spend.

TB02 is a good car and has a hopped up version with all the better parts. Should be fine for GT2.

The TA05 is a replacement to the TA04, which was a great selling car. The only minor problem is they have not released the version with a bunch of hopped up parts. So to get one now you might spend a bit more. It is the latest and probably the best GT2 type racer to date.

If you are looking for low buck spending you might consider finding a great deal on a used TB02R and wait for the TA05 hopped up version. You probably could get a good deal and lots of extra spare parts.

I am not waiting for the TA05 hopped up version to come out, I wish I could, mainly to save a bunch of money.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

The most important thing is to get a car that your LHS has parts for.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

there is no local LHS support to speak of. The nearest track is 45 mins away. They seem to have a bit of everything there.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the one drawback on the TB02's in TCS legal format are the fixed gear ratios. I ran the TCS Cincinnati race with a TB02. IT handled well and had good rip-but the gear ratio I used was too high and the next choice was way too low. If you go with a TA04 or a TA05-which you will have no probelms being fast with either and EASy to find parts for both, you'll have a lot more gearing choices.

Ray
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The only thing I'd add to the advice you've received thus far is to consider a TA04- preferably an R or Tuned Chassis. Great platform, still very competitive in GT2 and GT3, there are no gearing issues (uses any standard spur and pinion gear setup) and there are a lot of them around already hopped up for reasonable prices.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rayhuang
the one drawback on the TB02's in TCS legal format are the fixed gear ratios. I ran the TCS Cincinnati race with a TB02. IT handled well and had good rip-but the gear ratio I used was too high and the next choice was way too low. If you go with a TA04 or a TA05-which you will have no probelms being fast with either and EASy to find parts for both, you'll have a lot more gearing choices.

Ray
I'll tend to agree, I won a TB02 at the Memphis TCS race(won the GT2 class with a borrowed TA04, ), & while building it I also noticed that it is gonna be quite limited in the possible gear ratios, & especially for GT2 or GT1 class, you NEED precise control over the final drive ratios to match whatever motor you're using. Also, during that weekend, one of my buddies had just finished building a TA05, & I have to admit I thought it was quite impressive(especially since it was the car's first runs on ANY track), handled very well & was SUPER smooth. Personally, if I didn't already have a car, I'd lean toward the TA05.....
Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

With all the spur gear and pinion combo's how limited are you really with the TBO2R? Is the gearing the only down fall to the car?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Go for the TA05. It'll be around for awhile with the support to back it up. Suspension isn't a problem since most cars use the same suspension and/or is compatible with the new LW suspension. Plus the car would be better suited for gear selections for all sorts of track sizes and classes GT1/GT2/GT3. Sure the TB02 has a "hopped" up version of the car.. or even the TA04.. But it's not like you can't slowly hop up the TA05 as you learn it.