Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
To be or not to be.... >

To be or not to be....

To be or not to be....

Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default To be or not to be....

Hey RCtech. Got a problem and need advice.

I need to decide whether or not to sell my 1/12th scale rig. Here's the story.

In November of 2004 Debbies finished their carpet track and I was ready to race. After hearing some friends talk about how fun 1/12th was I decided to eschew touring cars and run 1/12th this time around.

I had an absolute blast. Beginning of the season I was always back of the pack. End of season I was in the top 3/4 with two 2nd place A-main finishes. I was hooked!

Then around March of '05 everyone seemed to stop racing 1/12th. It's like it's hot and cold, racers are fickle. So anyhow, towards the end of the carpet season I was like one of 3 guys running 1/12th. It's not that fun with that few entries...so at the end of the winter season I put her away.

To ensure I'd have a field to race in I got myself a touring car. An FT-TC4. Built in October, she's been getting worked up until now. I've also put alot of time, effort and money into her. She's a great car and is gonna see her first actual race tomorrow. However this leaves me with a dilemma:

To run both classes you need to pay 2 entries, no if's ands or buts. (We know because the owners won't budge one inch on the issue) In short running 1/12th and touring is gonna get expensive fast. Gotta build batteries and buy different tires for both. Plus I really don't have the time for both as I'm a graduating senior with UNC. Below is the car's descriptioon. I think I should part it out and sell it off to save cash and reduce my raceday workload. However I love 1/12th and don't want to sell it at the same time! I'm torn! WHAT TO DO!?!?!?!

AE12L4 - Perfect condition
Futaba - S9602
CRC lowered rear / Dura-shock / Delrin and Ti CRC front end parts
Spektrum Setup (Tx module and receiver) - Brand new
Novak GTX - Brand new

I could get nearly $400 for all the above stuff. Yet if I sell it and want to race 1/12th next year ('Cause you never know when it's gonna really pick up) I'll have to buy the stuff all over again.

Advice would be great.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

sounds like you have top of the line equipment, and even more important, sounds like what you have fits you well....keep it and run a practice pack now and then for awhile and see if the class picks back up....if not it should be worth just as much in a few months as it is now.....
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Keep it.Bring it with you every time you race and leave it sitting out in your pit space.You aren't the only person has one gathering dust.Seeing yours week in and week out may get others to bring thiers too,and if they do you are ready to run 1/12th and let your sedan sit out.It's already paid for,if you sell it you will lose money,and when you go to replace it you will lose even more.Plus those cars don't get obsolete so fast,so when it picks up again it will still be current.Some classes are just cyclical.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Suggest a discounted 2nd class to the track owner...more class entries = more parts $$ for them...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Get rid of that money trap, piece-o-crap tourer thats going to be obsolete in 6 months and keep racing 12th scale
Old 12-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Yeah...Here's some pictures of her. One naked and one with a sexy little dress.
Attached Thumbnails To be or not to be....-l4.jpg   To be or not to be....-l4body.jpg  
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Get rid of that money trap, piece-o-crap tourer thats going to be obsolete in 6 months and keep racing 12th scale
That's good advise!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChrisP
Suggest a discounted 2nd class to the track owner...more class entries = more parts $$ for them...

We've tried that all year. With all the arguments about increased entries = increased money even with the discounted 2nd entry fee.

It simply ain't gonna happen.

However the thought of having to build up two sets of batteries and buy tires, tune setups and motors for both cars is a bit more than I can handle. I almost want to find her a good home, like it's a dog I can't take care of anymore or something.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Soviet
We've tried that all year. With all the arguments about increased entries = increased money even with the discounted 2nd entry fee.

It simply ain't gonna happen.

However the thought of having to build up two sets of batteries and buy tires, tune setups and motors for both cars is a bit more than I can handle. I almost want to find her a good home, like it's a dog I can't take care of anymore or something.
You want somebody to adopt the car, I'll GLADLY take it....LOL
Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Keep it. Definitely.

Bring it to the races every time. Race TC when the class size in 12th is not large enough, run 12th when there are enough cars. I think running 12th makes you a better driver in the long run, to run other classes.

Personally, I am making 12th my primary class unless there is something specific I want to do with the sedan that week. On days when I can get a discount for 2 classes, I run them both.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Like was said, those cars don't get obsolete so I would keep it and race it at some big races or when the crowd at your local track picks back up.I wish the lil guys would catch on here at my track.Car looks nice by the way.That slapmaster car looks really sweet.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Keep it, time flies and before you know it you will be racing it again at the front of the pack.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

slapmaster ????
Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i was in the same boat maybe 6 months ago.everyone stopped running 1/12th and wound up selling there cars.for some reason i kept mine.now the class is picking up again and im one of the few that doesnt need to buy a car. I would just keep it dude. You will probably regret selling it in a few months.the damn things are just too much fun.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Keep it. Around here it is a winter thing at least that is how it has been the last 4 years I have raced. When March, April come around guys smell nitro and the 12th goes on the shelf. This year there seems to be more people running 12th so hopefully we can keep it going through out the year. I like 12th much better than sedan and wish we could get enough people to run year round.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.