Search
Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
True, but you will finish the race. The tt01 in spec class goes so slowly that the camber adjustment isn't critical. The stock arm adjustment is negative 1 or 2 degrees which is fine.

I'm going to be racing gt3 so ill be allot faster than spec
Old 03-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just tested my tt01. I used hard springs at the back and medium-hard springs at front. The odd thing is that the medium hard springs are a bit harder than the hard springs...

I had a mild oversteer when the tires were cold but the thing was on rails when the tires was on temp. I had the stock front upper arms, adjustable rear upper arms, and tt01D lower arms with droop screws.

Lower shock position
Front: inner
Rear: inner

I have no idea what rear camber was because there's so much slop. Rear toe 0deg.

Ride height 7mm
Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Will changing the stock plastic dogbones to steel ones help the performance of the car?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

What sort of set up do you guys use on your tt01?

I believe its better to set up your car using crappy tires so that when you've dialed your car on those low grip tires, it would ride on rails when you use your race tires.

Anyone here use the swaybars for stock touring?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

first off, I never got swaybars in my kit. what do they do ?

and secondly I just got my silvercan motor today and have my first race tomorrow I know im going to have my ass handed to me by 7 year olds but thats ok.

any tips for the race and should i be running 58/22 for gears ?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

For silver cans, go for the lowest gear ratio. 55/25T if you got long straights. If its a bit technical, go for a 58/25 or 58/24 gear ratio.

Tips? Hmm...its all in the hands. Keep a neat line, it'll shave off your time and will last your tires longer. Slow in, fast out. Try to keep the speed during the turn since you're down on power. Good luck

Swaybars reduce the amount of roll of the car. If your car leans too much, you need one. Prob is, my car is so low (6mm ride height) that i can't see too much roll. So i want to know when I should use them. It could make your car a winner or make it a handful, depends on your set up.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

just got into racing with an old TT01 which I've used to bash around car parks. So after some advice from other TT01 runners

Changed my gearing to a non standard ratio as most guys at the track run a really low ratio to stay competitive, and wanted to see how I can check if I've got gear mesh right. The way I've been checking is to slip a piece of paper between the gears and then pull. At the moment, I can't get it out unless I turn the gears which suggests that their meshing right. Is this correct?

Also wanted to check how long the silver can motors last and how to work out when their about to die. My current motor seems very slow. Though I'm not sure if its because everyone else is soo much faster than me. Also noticed that when its out of the engine mount (sound isnt' as noticable when its in the car), it occasionally makes a screeching sound, and I can see bright sparks (is this arcing) through the vent holes. The motor has seen probably 30 or 40 packs (prob at least 3 hrs runtime) around a mix of dusty carparks and underground garages.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Question: What sort of gearing are you using? There should be a piece of paper that is included in the kit to help you install the motor into the motor mount position holes and give you perfect gear mesh. The lowest is about 55/25 but i believe you can go lower but you have to make a way to install it.

For the motor, the stock silver can motor lasts a very very long time... I suggest you give it a good cleaning. Spray the inside with motor spray and a good blast of compressed air to clean it.

The screeching noises occur because your bushings are not lubed. Giving it a squirt of wd40 or any thin oil should do the trick. The sparks on the brushes are normal...dont worry about it.

Motor too slow? Hmm...i suggest you get a new one...not all silver can motors are made equally.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

No instructions with the gears. Was given it by one of the club racers who used to use them in an old TB02. Gearing is 27/52 which I'm running in what I think are the "A" holes in the engine mount (same as 19/61 combo). That's why I wanted to see if there was a technique to check if gears meshing properly.

Sorry for another noob question. Is motor spray the same as WD40? And do I spray it in through the big vent hole with some compressed air with the motor running to clean? Also have heard that some ppl run motor underwater to clean which I'm a little hesitant of as have always had attitude electrics and water don't mix
Old 04-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by koinonas
No instructions with the gears. Was given it by one of the club racers who used to use them in an old TB02. Gearing is 27/52 which I'm running in what I think are the "A" holes in the engine mount (same as 19/61 combo). That's why I wanted to see if there was a technique to check if gears meshing properly.

Sorry for another noob question. Is motor spray the same as WD40? And do I spray it in through the big vent hole with some compressed air with the motor running to clean? Also have heard that some ppl run motor underwater to clean which I'm a little hesitant of as have always had attitude electrics and water don't mix
52T spur? Wow! From a Tb02? That's a bit too low dont you think? I only use a 55/25 on mine and that's enough for a stock silver can. With regards to meshing, since that spur is not for the tt01, my suggestion is, try each one of the 4 positions on the motor mount and see which suits it best. It should not be too tight or too loose (gear mesh).

Some people say that wd40 is not good for motors, but i use it anyway . You spray it on the the inside, and yes, through the vents. Running the water underwater can help clean it. Use a 4 cell battery on your motor and dip it for around 5 seconds only. Don't worry, you wont get electrecuted even if you get your hands wet.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Yes was surprised at how low the ratio was as well. But have been told by a few of the other guys that race silver cans at the club that their running ratios in the high 4's and rollouts in the low to mid 40's! Never expected the humble silver can to be so strong. But that could explain why everyone else seemed to run down the straights at least 50% faster....

Got ball bearings for the TT01 today, so once I get it all back together again, how to take it for a test run to see the difference (hopefully a big one )

Also think I might give the underwater run a go as I have been running through really dusty environments. So I connect 4 cell battery, submerge the thing and run for a few seconds before pulling out. After that how do I dry the inside of the motor out to stop things corroding (keep it running?, spray it with WD40, stick next to heater?)
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

I might try to get a tb02 spur set

Here's what I do: Fellow racers, correct me if am wrong.

Spray the inside with wd40...spray it well. Let it drip til it stops. Do the water dip thing...after, cover it with a rag, shake the hell out of it(dance to a good music ). Let it run for around 20 secs out of the water to dry. Wipe all the excess dirt and grease away. Then lube the bushings, comms and brushes. Viola!

When you do the water dip thing, the water's going to turn a dull gray, that's all the dirt you got from the motor.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips on cleaning the motor out. Will give it a try before I look at getting new motor.

The racer that gave me the gears used them in a TB02. But not sure if the gears were designed for that model. I suspect that there actually from a mix from other models such as F201 (tamiya F1 model).

The only other similar gearing combo I could find on net was from company called Kawada (http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/partsli...0.6module.html)

Anyway will let you know how it goes when I take it for a test run this weekend.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

What gears should I be running, Im running the stock ones now but ive seen above that people are running 55/25 or 26, 27 ???

im not sure, people have said just to get the sport tuned gear set and go from there. also, will it increase my speed much ? say im running 22 second laps, how faster will it make it ?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

great site kiononas!

I suggest you use a 55/25 combo. But a 55/26? Hmm...will it fit? Does tamiya make 26T pinions?

Here's the thing, when i used the stock gearing, I would run like a snail on the straights and literally would take my hand off the steering and wait til the car reached the end of the straight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.