Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Mugen MR-12 S1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Engine damage cased by running on the rich side?????

We run 180 - 220 degree(shooting for 200) engine temp till the cows come home. We allways breakin below 180. I have an MT-12 with over 3 gallons usage , has great compression, and performs well for any beginner to intermediate skilled racer. I have 3 other novarossi engines. Please explane to me ,in technical details, damage being cased to engines???? I,m Feeling really gullible today. I recieved a automated email from your posting.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You will notice if you turn the engine over cold, compared to when it is hot, it has a lot more comp & fit. The expansion rates of the metal are different under temperature. If you run the motor too fat (rich), It will never get warm enough to expand the metals. This is a problem considering the fit of the engines when they are new. You can take litres of wear out of a piston * liner in no time by allowing this to happen.

My general run in:

Idle 2 tanks rich
tune motor to about 80 degrees celcius for 2 tanks
start tuning by bladewidth each tank to optimum performance and temp.

Oh, and be sure to let the motor have a good cool down between each tank.

I find both of my S3's are running very safely and happily at about 120 celcius
Old 11-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Most preferable breakin and running temp??

Jordon, For me , I never had longivity in novarossi engines with your style breakin and running proceedure......Although, loved the performance. I am candid with sacrificing some performance for better engine life. The metallurgical changes in alloys causing a differant coefficient of thermal/expansion rates, will vary 200-250 F. The question is whats too cool and too hot for the ultimate performance and engine life ballance. We can elaberate with ,whats best for achieving "Shape Memory"..... piston/sleeve fit. That which is established by alloy composition, thermal-machanicl conditions,and external load. I guess it all boils down to each persons personal racing needs/preferances. I'm not winning any top races....but I finish every one...As long I don't break. PS, Please tell me how you like that RS12 S3.....I have been Interested in that engine for many months. Regards, Ray A
Old 11-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, I got about 20 tanks through it and it's FAST. I got it tuned and my centax is working well. The motor pulls very well at all rpm ranges. It seems to like high rpm the best though. It's sure sounds different than my OS TR .12.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

i just got one and had it modded by pineapple and it looks sweet you can see your reflection in the carb he did the entire engine crank sleeve block button back plate and carb i had a bunch of people look at it and they were all impressed and you cant beat his price for more info talk to ilaybrk at the md pa and dc forum