Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes

VP Tessman branded fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

If you look at VP's internet site - They have a SDS for the Ty Tessman fuel, which provides the Major Chemicals used.

As per the SDS, in addition to Methanol & Nitromethane, this product contains

a) CASTOR OIL: between 10-30%
b) Polypropylene Glycol: between 10-12%

Of course they don't give exact % as the mix is 'propietary'.

In any case, VP does specify the type of oil they use in their Tessman blend fuel...
Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

glycol? thats a coolant
Old 01-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yes it is.
If you have ever "milked" the oil out of your fuel you will actually see it once the methanol has evaporated.
When the nitro is gone so is the glycol. Now you will have two different puddles of oil. One is the synthetic the other is the castor.
brewert likes this.

Last edited by MugenDrew; 01-29-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Yup... According to Dow Chemical's website - if I understand the tech language correctly,

Polypropylene Glycol is also a Synthetic Lubricant - used in Two Stroke engines (as well as other places)...

Has several other very good properties as well (corrosion inhibitor, etc.). Cool stuff....
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I actually had to read up on it, found an rc plane fuel article. learn something new.
we use glycol by the 55 gallon drum for our gas compressors at work, I actually have an extreme sensitivity to it.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was checking out the SDS sheets on the standard 30% vs the Tessman, and the fuel components are the same. The question is, do they have a little less castor oil and a little more synthetic (the glycol). Is the oil percentage up to 10%? What the actual difference about their blend, only they or VP can tell us. Perhaps we can corner Adam Drake in Edmonton and ask him.

Personally, I have the feeling it is exactly the same, and we should probably save ourselves the $5 per gallon difference. I certainly will on my next fuel purchase.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoardSlapper
I was checking out the SDS sheets on the standard 30% vs the Tessman, and the fuel components are the same. The question is, do they have a little less castor oil and a little more synthetic (the glycol). Is the oil percentage up to 10%? What the actual difference about their blend, only they or VP can tell us. Perhaps we can corner Adam Drake in Edmonton and ask him.

Personally, I have the feeling it is exactly the same, and we should probably save ourselves the $5 per gallon difference. I certainly will on my next fuel purchase.
Is the oil percentage up to 10%?
It is 8%

standard 30% vs the Tessman
Ty has a different oil package
Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Motorman007
Is the oil percentage up to 10%?
It is 8%

standard 30% vs the Tessman
Ty has a different oil package
I don't know what it is at, that is what I am questioning. The oil components according to the data sheet are the same as the standard fuel. What I'm wondering is have they actually changed the amount of oil. Is there more or less of the synthetic vs castor oil. Have they increased or decreased the percentage total (to 8%) as you have suggested.

They state it is a custom oil package, and that very well may be true. Or it may not be different at all, only the Tessmans, Adam Drake, or VP themselves can confirm this, unless perhaps you know it to be true.

Additionally, do they really need to charge an extra $5 per gallon? Nope, but it has Ty's name on it, so they can. I'm questioning if I want to spend that extra money, and I'm thinking probably not.

Last edited by BoardSlapper; 06-13-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Grammer correction
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know what it is at, that is what I am questioning. The oil components according to the data sheet are the same as the standard fuel. What I'm wondering is have they actually changed the amount of oil. Is there more or less of the synthetic vs castor oil. Have they increased or decreased the percentage total (to 8%) as you have suggested.

They state it is a custom oil package, and that very well may be true. Or it may not be at all, only one of the Tessmans, Adam Drake, or VP themselves can confirm this, unless perhaps you know it to be true.

Additionally, do they really need to charge an extra $5 per gallon? Nope, but it has Ty's name on it, so they can. I'm questioning if I want to spend that extra money, and I'm thinking probably not.

only one of the Tessmans, Adam Drake, or VP themselves can confirm this

Yes only they will know the info you are looking for.

Call them and see they maybe have a better insight than us users
Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

hah, didn't mean to say only one of the Tessmans. Not sure what happened there. Will edit my post.

Yes perhaps VP themselves would answer.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I ran the 25% Tessman blend when I took a trup to TX and raced Thornhill. It ran well all weekend long.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Tech Regular

Hello BoardSlapper,

I've been using VP Tessman Edition 25% since last Year and it has been very good for me.

Just for a reference, before I decided to run Tessman Edition, I tested back to back between VP Fuel Pro Race (PR) 25% and VP Tessman Edition (TE) 25%. From my observation, the TE gives crispier low to mid transition compared to PR. The idle also much better with TE, stable and strong. The only drawback is that TE seems to have just a bit less top-end. You could tune the top end of the engine as high/fast with TE compared to PR but then it is just sounds a bit "lean" for me. But at the end, I am still preferring TE.

One important thing that I have to mention that I got the information from Mr. Tommy Porifirio (VP Racing) himself is that Your engine have to be READY to RACE if You are choosing TE. If it is still not Fully Broken-In then it is not advisable to use TE. Best to use VP Golden Break-In and maybe Pro Race for a while and finally Tessman Edition.

Cheers..

Motorman007 likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

stanleyw808, thank you very much for the first hand information about the fuel. That really helps, especially the info about using something different for break-in.

I currently have a fresh jug of 30% TE, and a brand new engine. I got the TE because my local shop didn't have regular 30%. However, I do have some other fuel that may have a higher oil content (gotta check). If it does indeed have higher oil content, I will be using that fuel for the break-in period, then switching to the TE to get final tune.

Once again, great write-up from someone with first hand experience. I'll also return to post my experiences with this fuel.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
Hello BoardSlapper,

I've been using VP Tessman Edition 25% since last Year and it has been very good for me.

Just for a reference, before I decided to run Tessman Edition, I tested back to back between VP Fuel Pro Race (PR) 25% and VP Tessman Edition (TE) 25%. From my observation, the TE gives crispier low to mid transition compared to PR. The idle also much better with TE, stable and strong. The only drawback is that TE seems to have just a bit less top-end. You could tune the top end of the engine as high/fast with TE compared to PR but then it is just sounds a bit "lean" for me. But at the end, I am still preferring TE.

One important thing that I have to mention that I got the information from Mr. Tommy Porifirio (VP Racing) himself is that Your engine have to be READY to RACE if You are choosing TE. If it is still not Fully Broken-In then it is not advisable to use TE. Best to use VP Golden Break-In and maybe Pro Race for a while and finally Tessman Edition.

Cheers..
Wonderful info.
Thank you, sir
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

So it’s been a couple years from the last post and fuels been around for couple more years. I just got some and gonna try it out. Any more reviews and input on tessman fuel.
Tune engine life etc. any bad effects? Rust crank pin wear or anything? I’ve read all the posts but would like to hear from some people that have been using it. Also does anyone know the actual oil package of tessman. Thanks!

Last edited by jersey; 01-07-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.