Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Haven't ran the car yet, but I have had a car with a similar diff and it loosened quite a bit. How tight should it be adjusted?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by RCInfinity
Haven't ran the car yet, but I have had a car with a similar diff and it loosened quite a bit. How tight should it be adjusted?
Rear diffs loosened / slipping as in the front wheels can rotate independantly from the rear wheels?

When you set the tighteness of the diff, there is an additional step to tighten the grub screw on the other end of the shaft after the diff setup. I believe this grub screw is what holds the settings.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

You are right, that grub screw does hold the setting of the diff. My point is that particular diff design does offer the diff screw the ability to back out since there is no nut where the grub screw is located.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Tech Prophet

You are right, that grub screw does hold the setting of the diff. My point is that particular diff design does offer the diff screw the ability to back out since there is no nut where the grub screw is located.
The design is the same with all grub type screws found anywhere in the car... Perhaps some threadlock will help?
Old 01-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Default Brake disc.

Hi Guys!

I'm onto the rear assembly now! :-) Coming along really nicely.

I'm just putting the disc-break in at the moment, and I see I've got two discs!!!! =8-o Is there supposed to be two discs in the kit? I take it I only put one of them between the break-shoes?

Thanks, Mark.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Yup. I was also surprised that the kit came with 2 brake disc. Normal type though... Ummm, maybe Serpent wanted to get rid of old inventory because nobody buys these normal brake disc. These never brake (opphs, I mean break) They have the optional ventilated one which helps in the brake fade.

I was thinking if they could have given some other parts extra or given the ventilated disc brake and that would be useful.

Anyway, you only need one and yes, it goes in between the brake pads that is glued onto the steel brake plates that you would have to sand off one side before applying CA to it to make it bond with the brake pads.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks InitialID,

I've got a couple of things which are doubled in the kit. When I was gluing up the brake-pads to the metal plates, I wasn't aware of what it was. And following the diagram in the instructions, I ended up putting the two finished plates-and-brake-pads with the metal plates facing each other - the instruction make it look like this is what you should do. Then when I saw I had to put the disc-break in there, I suddenly realised what the plates were for ;-) Then I had to dissasemble and put them in the right order :-)

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Just completed step 4.2 with the disc-break assembly, and if I rotate the axel, the disc is quite loose and the axel itself seems to hit some resistance during the rotation - is this normal??

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

I had similar problems as well. The instructions could be alot better, like with words and a step by step walk through. I've also noticed that part of the front assembly is out of order. ie, putting on the front bumper requires removing some of the front assembly.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

can u guys tell me wheres the best website to get aftermarket hop-ups for the serpent impulse street spec?other than speedtechrc and speedworldraceway?my friend here doesnt have any parts in our LHS.please help thanx.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by shortyboy
can u guys tell me wheres the best website to get aftermarket hop-ups for the serpent impulse street spec?other than speedtechrc and speedworldraceway?my friend here doesnt have any parts in our LHS.please help thanx.
http://www.hobbyetc.com/ Go there and look around.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pit-racer
http://www.hobbyetc.com/ Go there and look around.
Those are GPM stuff... You should take a look at Wolfpack's offerring.

But seriously, you do not need more than stuff that can be offered from Serpent. I find that only the chassis and probably the upper radio tray needs aftermarket 3rd party stuff. The Wolfpacks are nice. The rest of them are either inferior or adds more weight than the ones Serpent can offer.

If you need to hop up the Streetspec, I suggest to upgrade the drive transmission and pulleys to the one used on the Impact (and also on the 705). No need for all those GPM aluminum pulleys and all that stuff. Let me know if you need help and I can list the Serpent part numbers to hop up your Streetspec.

BTW shortyboy, is there a racer name Roy who has a Hardcore titanium chassis on his Impulse in your area? Use to lurk in the old non HPI forums. Tell him I said hi.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Is it me, or does anyone feel kind of strange to not have diff lube in the diff on the 705?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Anodizing?

Anyone have any +/- to having the chassis anodized? I was thinking of having all of the aluminum pieces anodized but really don't know much about the after affects, good or bad. Thanks, Jason
Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is it me, or does anyone feel kind of strange to not have diff lube in the diff on the 705?
All past serpents I've had made me put something in there,and my diffs love me for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.