Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by nizee
It is not call "Oxidization". Physic and Electronics term call it "Crystalization". The catalyse is the, Voltage, current and air at the same time. When voltage and current flows, those separator create like a "capacitance" effect, which in turn creating crystaline to develop across each other electrodes slowly in terms of micron. This also call CAF effect amount the PCB engineer are facing problem today for designing high density multilayer fine pitch BGA.There is a chance the battery will last that long with the folowing scenario:-
1) The applied voltage drawn from it or the charge is low.
2) The applied current drawn from it or the charge is low.
3) He or She do not use it regularly.
4) Keep the charge rate at normal discharge stage not Full charge.
5) Low humidity places.

Hope that helps.
Yep, and all but one of those scenario is used by me. I charge at a maximum of 50mah most of the time and I dont use anything more on the car than is needed to make it move (no failsafes, etc - just TRS's). Humidity here is pretty low anyway but I work with Balsa wood and it is stored in a damp-proof area with constant temperature/humidity level to stop it warping (Model Aircraft like to be warp free. They fly much better ). I keep all my stuff in this room (car, radio, batteries, etc....) and I never leave the batteries laying around with a full charge in them. As for use, it was used only once a month as i alternated between 2 different packs every fortnight.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This past sunday racing my 705 for the first time wasn't the greatest. Car was running good in practice and the 1st qual I was 2nd after 12 laps until the engine flamed out. Seemed like it wasn't getting fuel and then I noticed that the bottom of the header that has a presure fit on the engine was loose on the bottom. It was caused by the huge pipe that came with the Sx12 was cocking the header and it was not allowing the header to seat properly. I changed to a smaller pipe and it allowed it to seat better. The 2nd and 3 quals were really bad as I was having very bad electrical problems which lead to full speed crashes which ended the race. I didn't make it to the main. I guess with a new car you're going to have issues at the start. I must say the car is very durable..nothing broke except a few stripped teeth on the front belt which I now need to change. I added a switch as it was tough plugging and unplugging the battery into the receiver directly. Thanks for listening, hopefully I will have it running again for the Trinity ORL race this sunday in NJ.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Shame. I too had a bad weekends racing. Set the car up with the exact same set up I always use on this track and I had major handling problems. First qualifier I totally wore one end of the front solid axle (the setscrew run a track and then worked its way outwards to wear the whole end of the axle). This cause a few problems and I chunked a set of new tires on one of the curbs and unknowingly bent the manifold in when I hit the outside wooden surround of the track. The next qualifier and I still didnt have the car perfect. It had serious understeer followed by serious oversteer directly. So again I was catching the curbs and chunked another set of new tires. I also ripped the wing of my brand new shell. Got it all patched up and tested the car. Handling was better but still not just perfect but in the third qualifier I had bad engine problems all of a sudden. It turned out that the rear side pulley had wore a hole right threw the manifold due to the impact in the first qualifier. This put an end to the third run. I fixed up the car and was testing during a break and caught a curb. Chunked a third set of new tires and when the car rolled it completely tore the rear wing of the car and split the shell across the front wheels.

Result was I missed making the main final and ended any hope of winning the National Championships this year. So I guess I am going to just race the remaining 3 rounds and play blocker for my team mate who is now leading the championship (with a 705 also ). Total cost of damages was around $250 for a total of 20mins running. Just one of those bad days at the track.

But for all those looking at buying a 705. This was not the fault of the car. It was a mixture of our track being strange (set up can change overnight even if the track conditions are the exact same) and me getting stressed as a result and not concentrating right
Old 07-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

I guess it proves that even as we are experts that we can have problems.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.serpent-usa.com/serpent/battery_1.html

would any of these be the one i needed for the 705?? i'd like to oreder from them cuz it looks a lil simpler to do... all online... no emails... no phone calls..
Old 07-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

oh.. 2 other things.. ashford on the price list said that that number was replaced by ser 3208.... so would that number on serpent usa be the one i want ??? and will the battery pack fit in any reciever?? ( i know it prob will but just double checking)
Old 07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

ok... well i just found out that they only ship to the us... but ill see if they can go to canada.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well...I was out raceing last weekend with the 705! some how..I can't get the rear of the car to stay where i want it! over steer going in an understeer comming out (at lowspeed tight connor) Not sure how to fix it. But..some how....I manage to get up to the B main wich is pritty good for the 1st time on this track with a really loose end car. Since I see some chunk on my tyers ..so..I decided to change the tyers befor the main with out test driving it!! BIG MISS TAKE!! I keep telling my self not to do any chang up befor the main ..but some how..I did... DORR~ so now the car acting even worse!!!! I have to turn down my dule rate to 25%!!! and have to leave it it for the whole 15min race!! that is sux bad!!! Any how...I manage to finish 5th in the B ...which is my qualify position. So..I guess that is not a bad things. I'm sure I cound done better if I have the right setup!!

Supra..I make my own batteries...it works great! not a problem. I jus bought 8cells AAA GP 800mA off the eaby and only cost me $22 shiped. Since I also race electric...I don't have any problem building my own RX pack. good luck to you.

Any one have any good setup for a PARKING LOT TRACK?? I like to get a copy of the setup. I like my car to swing a bit when enter the connor then grip comming out.

TRIX PLEASE!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

superk... the only thing about building it my self is i got NO experience... i can get you a parking lot set up from some guys running at my track back home... im still waiting to call up my lhs over here and ask if they could build one... thats prob what im going to do... so ill get on that setup..or if you want... you can ask there your self... its www.hobbyhobby.com/plrc/forum .... i dunno if guys on the forum are running 705's but i know that a few of them run serpents.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by modellor
championship (with a 705 also ). Total cost of damages was around $250 for a total of 20mins running. Just one of those bad days at the track.
Yep, I've just ordered 450 Euros worth of spares for my car, so that I will have the parts at hand when I break something. For some of the parts, I've ordered the stronger optional items (i.e. stronger axels and drive shafts), so that helped to push the price up quite a bit. At least now, I won't have to sit out a week waiting for parts. Now if I break something, I'll most likely have the part available and can then restock the part.
BTW - for the guys who order from rccarinternational, they are closing for a month from July 20th. Orders received after the 15th of July probably won't be processed until the 20th of Aug!!!!! Get your orders in FAST!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

YO Supra! I was there last Sunday!! LOL... I came up from Buffalo to race there!! Oh..and I'll be there in 2 weeks for the WORLD PLRC!!

COOL!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

SWEET!!! HAHA... thats so funny ... well get on tyhe forum... im up in whistler bc but ill be back for the races in september... how'd you do in the race?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone have any part numbers for a serpent ball or gear dif for the front of the 705. On short twisty tracks that require a lot of breaking I would like to have the ability to throw in another type of diff if need be. Any suggestion? Ball/Gear/solid? The stock one way has a really small pully unlike the rear ball dif. Is this small pully size available for a front ball/gear/solid dif?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

and superk... did you use the front one way on sunday?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
The receiver pack guru speaks He's alive
I solder my own pack and it works very well.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.