Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Can someone explain to me what 'roll centre' is, please?

Also, why are people putting shims under the bearing blocks? It sounds like some are putting shims under the front bb's, and some are putting shims under both the front and back bb's.

And it seems like many people are switching back to the Impulse location for mounting the shocks (i.e. on the bearing blocks instead of the shock towers). Why?
Old 06-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Putting the shocks on the bulkheads gives a more lay down shock mount. It gives it a more aggressive shock into high corning. Also it seems that mounting the shocks on the bulkhead a less chance of breakage of the shock!

Roll center is the car’s center of gravity….the body roll of the car. The 705 had very little body roll due to the ridges ness of the chassis IMHO.

MY 2 CENTS
Old 06-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

ok... im going to order the integy tools that i need as soon as i know which sets to get... on speedtech r/c, could someone tell me which sets i need?? not just the sizes cuz some are like 1.5mm and then some are like 5/16"... so could you guys tell me exactly what wrenches and stuff i need to build the kit off of there??
Old 06-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Cool METRIC FOR THE SERPENT

You need the metric ones.....1mm, 1.5mm, ect.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

but i dont get it cuz on the allen wrenches theres also liek 5/16" and stuff... should i get this :

Ti-Nitride Hex Wrench Set (6pcs)
Wrench Set Ti-Nitride Hex (6pcs). These wrenches are color coded, 6 sizes are 0.05" 1/16" 3/32" 5/64" 2.5mm and 1.5mm. Sturdy and convenient to use, our tips have a high degree of tolerance to securely lock your screw in its place. No more slipping or stripping the screw head.

Inventory: In Stock

$25.99
Old 06-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

i mean like should i get the first one on that page?? and what socket wrenches do i get?? can you say like the first thing, like 3rd or 4th or w/e... like that??
Old 06-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

please could someone help out??
Old 06-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Lightbulb

YES!! THE ONES ON THE FIRST PAGE!!

you will get some standerd and metric with those hex wrenches from Integy. (#C22301)
And for the socket set get the METRIC set. (#C22302)

lol...I can tell you are going to be asking a lot of questions when assembly the kit togather!!
Old 06-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

well thats just me... i want to make sure im doing every thing right... like on my math exam i asked so many questions they stoped answering...lol ... but when it comes to building the kit.. i think i should be fine... (now watch when i start ill have like a million questions...lol) thnx for the help
Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
By following which bags to use, you'll always end up with the right components.
This is true Mark... Not like the other car I know that you have to mix and max the parts from other bags...
Old 06-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Putting the shocks on the bulkheads gives a more lay down shock mount. It gives it a more aggressive shock into high corning. Also it seems that mounting the shocks on the bulkhead a less chance of breakage of the shock!

Roll center is the car’s center of gravity….the body roll of the car. The 705 had very little body roll due to the ridges ness of the chassis IMHO.

MY 2 CENTS
Regarding the shocks, that is correct. The angle of the shocks makes it harder or softer. The more laid down the shocks, the softer it becomes. But the other reason being the shock tower breaking is so true. Once you break the shock tower and your shocks are mounted on them, you'll get tweak. For reliability issues, I prefer to mount the shocks on the bearing blocks. Not to say that the shock towers are weak but if you know you can avoid breakage, why not?

Regarding roll center, it's actually not the same as CG. The center where the car rolls does not equal the center of mass for the car. The higher the roll center, the more difficult it is to roll the car which means the flatter the car will be.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by chachi
Also, why are people putting shims under the bearing blocks? It sounds like some are putting shims under the front bb's, and some are putting shims under both the front and back bb's.
People are putting shims under the front bearing blocks (thus also raising the carbon graphite plate by the same amount) and lowering the tank with the same amount to raise the roll center of the front part of the car. There is actually no direct way of changing the roll center except by doing this. However, you can also alter the roll center of the front by changing the way the front arms are angled. You can do this in the front by using a smaller diameter tire for the front. This is done the same in the rear with the 7 mm spacers where the arms are angled differently to make the rear roll center higher.

The higher the roll center, the more stable that particular part of the car will be. A higher roll center of a particular part of a car will resist that particular part from rolling. For high speed tracks, this is what you may want. For low speed and technical tracks, you may want the roll center to be slightly lower thus allowing for more body roll to that part of the car. More body roll means more traction.

It has been mentioned on mytsn that the 7 mm spacer in the rear may be too much for some. So ideally some may want to try 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm. This will create more traction in the rear.

Concerning the shocks, the more laid down, the easier it is for the car to roll.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by n1technik
hey snakers. i don't know if you guys remember me but i have posted couple messages back in hpiforum days. and it's good to see/read familiar names.
i had impulse ss couple years back and moved onto impact class. and where i live, impact class are slowly fading away.
so i've finally decided to join tc class again. now, i'm sure many of you have been there and i have same dilemma. MTX-3 or 705.
(parts are no issue here. i know where to get'em, although they do cost more than mugen i know how strong serpents are.)
now the question is to those of you who have driven both cars.
1. i know how strong serpents are. what about mtx3?
2. which car have more steering? more responsive?
N1, welcome back Is your brother EuroKRN? Where is he?

Well, this is a much debated issue. If you ask this question on the other forum, you'll be inundated with biased remarks from them

Read a few messages back... Both cars are equal out of the box but with the 705, you don't need to do any hop up to make the car strong. Everything is already there.

Performance wise, both cars can be made to do as you like. But for lower weight and lower CG, it has to be the MTX-3.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Smile

InitialD,
I knew you would post a more detail and correct explanation for roll center.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OK...just got my 705 in today!! and the kit looks really good!!! get rid of the NTC3 to the 705 ... I think it's a wise idea. Any how..is there any trick and tip to built this baby??

also...I run on a small track...say...110' x 65' track. I need to get my gear and drive trai ratio lower...what can I do??

Anoter question...it seem like there is no room for the on/off switch...where do u guys put it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.