Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is this true about the Venom Smart temp failsafe? >

Is this true about the Venom Smart temp failsafe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this true about the Venom Smart temp failsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is this true about the Venom Smart temp failsafe?

I read on another forum about how the Venom Smart temp failsafe reads 50 degrees hotter than the actual temperature of the engine. Is this true? I was thinking about getting one for one of my nitros, and I just needed to clarify this. Thanks

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't really know where else to put it.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's true if you put the wire on the bottom ring of the cooling head. The temperature there is just higher. You have to put the wire about 2 rings higher than the cooling head bottom and you'll get the readings you used to have from your temp gun.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ya, that's not true. They can be off, but not that much. I've had 3 on-board and to me, they are a PITA (pain in the ---). I prefer the hand held temp guns, even the cheap ones.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys. Is there any other company that makes a better one?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

those venom temp are crap man. get yourself a proper temp gun. www.tempgun.com make good ones.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Go Ray-Tek or Exergen.Best on the market.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Check ebay man. I got a brand new raytek for 26 bux. Prolly won't find that good a deal again but they're out there.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sho .21
I read on another forum about how the Venom Smart temp failsafe reads 50 degrees hotter than the actual temperature of the engine. Is this true?

Yeah, wrong it will actually read colder... probably by about 10 deg. a leas....

Anybody who knows what they are talking about knows you take the temp at the glow plug, not the head, the head is constantly cooling ..... there are a few things you can do to use one of these POS....

1st- place the probe at the back of the head so that the cool air flowing into the head affects it less.
2nd- find a freind with a temp gun that can guage your temp for you, tune the engine so that it runs how you like it, but still within the engines operating range, at that point take the temp with your POS..... now you know what the temp probe should read when it's right....

better option---- like others said get yourself a real tempgun, to buy a temp probe for each vehicle would cost alot more in the long run....
Old 11-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

This is not the only Venom product i've heard go bad either. Their Speedometer is supposeably off as well.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you everybody. I guess I will just be going with a normal temp guage then.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

You can get a Ray-Tek for around $80-$100 bucks.

The Exergen guns are preddy $$$$$$$$$$$,they cost around the $250 range.
After you buy one you might look like this .lol
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

IMHO accuracy is now where near as important as repeatability, meaning if it's 300 degs. and the temp gun reads 310 degs. who cares as long as the reading is 310 degs. everytime it's at 300 degs.

For the extra money the raytech or ever the exergen are more accurate, but a $25 temp gun from tempgun.com will do the job and give repeatable results... to me the higher priced units just aren't worth the money....
Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

The Venom Speed Meter and Smart Temp are instruments that require proper installation and fine tuning to get the best performance from them. No different from any other engine or battery or device of any kind.

The Speed Meter is tricky because it wont account for wheel slip or tire ballooning. The device itself is very accurate when installed correctly used correctly. Its just meant to give you an idea of your models speed.

The Smart Temp and all of its fail safe features is also very accurate and even detects radio system defects like rf noisy servos etc. But again its only as good as the installation and tuning. You can adjust the over-temp feature to any practical temp. you see fit. As one member mentioned you can bench mark the VST if you like and set the fail safe temp accordingly. It will repeat this function everytime and help you keep from frying your engine until you learn to tune your engine better.

These products are meant for the RTR modeler to help them prevent runaway cars, burnt up motors, and bad experiences. These products should also help him or her to learn more about their cars or trucks and just have more fun.

As with all of our products you are more than welcome to call or email or if your in town just show up and you will be helped any way we can. If you are just plain unhappy with the product tell us why and what the circumstances are that made you unsatisfied. We are always looking for better ways and products to best suit the needs of hobbyists.

Happy Holidays from Venom Racing

VENOM RACING R&D
Old 11-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

hey venom racing.... just a few suggestins to make your products better....

your green fuel bottles are really bad, firstly the bottle is made of too hard plastic making squeezing the air out of the bottle to fill up hard. Also the lid on the bottle leaks very easy. oh the nozzle cap is virtually useless. yes i know LHS pay like $1 for them, but they charge the customer $7 for them. and we expect more for $7

also regarding your fuel tubes, they are also of bad quality compared to say the dubro tubes. your tubes are too thin and brittle. not as flexible and thick as the other tubes. i have a few problems with the tube splitting especially near the ends (at the carb and the exhaust nipple)