Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Have you try putting extra shims to the diff? maybe it will work.
i had that kinda problem before. it works for me.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is there any way i can make locked diffs other then super glue??
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monky
is there any way i can make locked diffs other then super glue??
An EVO-IV spool bolts right in.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just got back into rc and I pulled my old EVO-III surikarn limited edition off the shelf. Still runs fast , but still has the same problem i always had - pull the trigger and it takes off, but it sounds awful like the diffs are chewing themselves apart. I am afraid to take it apart, but I will, just don't want to look at what has happened to the gears. Is there somewhere I can buy new diff assemblies for the Evo-III, tower doesn't seem to have any and I can't find them at Stormer Hobbies. I KNOW I'm gonna need them, do the diff assemblies from the EVO-IV and V fit into it??? This car is great and needs help, i can't just let it sit around, its fast and furious. I have the one way diff inthe front and think I want to get rid of that. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks,
Rich
There are no 'diff kits' unfortunately. You will have to source all the parts separately. If you need part numbers and don't have the manual, you can download it from HERE

HTH
Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just got back into rc and I pulled my old EVO-III surikarn limited edition off the shelf. Still runs fast , but still has the same problem i always had - pull the trigger and it takes off, but it sounds awful like the diffs are chewing themselves apart. I am afraid to take it apart, but I will, just don't want to look at what has happened to the gears. Is there somewhere I can buy new diff assemblies for the Evo-III, tower doesn't seem to have any and I can't find them at Stormer Hobbies. I KNOW I'm gonna need them, do the diff assemblies from the EVO-IV and V fit into it??? This car is great and needs help, i can't just let it sit around, its fast and furious. I have the one way diff inthe front and think I want to get rid of that. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks,
Rich
I do have an EVO III and it is currently chucked in a corner of my store room...

If you really feel the need to resurrect this great-old-car, it share the same entire gearbox with TB-02... Just get a TB-02 kit and migrate the required parts... which will cost you much much less than getting the diff parts separately... or either way you can assembled a fully hop-up TB-02 EVO using all the goodies left in your EVO III.

Heard that Tamiya USA is clearing TB-02 kit at cheap sale, you may want to give a serious considerations on that...

Good luck!

PS: I love those old TA-04 suspension arms assembly on the EVO III and TB-02. They are just so much tougher than the LW reversable arms assembly...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pole_position
I do have an EVO III and it is currently chucked in a corner of my store room...

If you really feel the need to resurrect this great-old-car, it share the same entire gearbox with TB-02... Just get a TB-02 kit and migrate the required parts... which will cost you much much less than getting the diff parts separately... or either way you can assembled a fully hop-up TB-02 EVO using all the goodies left in your EVO III.

Heard that Tamiya USA is clearing TB-02 kit at cheap sale, you may want to give a serious considerations on that...

Good luck!

PS: I love those old TA-04 suspension arms assembly on the EVO III and TB-02. They are just so much tougher than the LW reversable arms assembly...

Rainbow Ten has all the parts you need to do the Reinforced diff.

0013400150987,TAMIYA,400YEN,50987 TB EVOLUTION 3 DIFF BEVEL GEAR
0013400153627,TAMIYA,2000YEN,53627 TB EVOLUTION 3 REINFORCED DIFF JOINT
0013400153563,TAMIYA,250YEN,53563 F201 DIFF RING
the thrust bearing and diff spring is the same as all the other Tamiya diffs and they are available, I just don't have the part number The kit number is 9805671 diff spring, 9805670 thrust bearing
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KREATOR1
Have you try putting extra shims to the diff? maybe it will work.
i had that kinda problem before. it works for me.
what size those shims is?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey can people post up a few of their hopped up evo 3's, im getting one this week and want to see a few nice looking ones for inspiration
Old 01-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

Just got my Tourer put back together, took speedo out of my B4 but dotn wanna trim wires so I can swap it back into the buggy easily so installation is a bit messy.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys, i have a TB02D and i'd like to get front one way and universal joints. Which parts do i need?

Can i use TA05 diff cups for the ball diff? Are there any aluminium diff cups for this car?

Is there spool diff for this car?

Can i use TA05 carbon damper stays for this car?

Thanks.
Herman.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Hi guys, i have a TB02D and i'd like to get front one way and universal joints. Which parts do i need?

Can i use TA05 diff cups for the ball diff? Are there any aluminium diff cups for this car?

Is there spool diff for this car?

Can i use TA05 carbon damper stays for this car?

Thanks.
Herman.
hiya Herman,

i have an evo3 and they are similar.

front one way is the one from evo3, word of warning though, your gears are in peril! a small knock will cause the gears to strip out with one way.

there is no spool made for the evo3/tb02 but peeps in the forum say you can use evo4 spool, i haven't tried and there is no point. a hot motor in an evo3/tb02 is gonna cause even more stripped gears then you'd like to spend time on replacing.

universals are 42mm ones if you continue to use the original suspension arms. if you change to LW arms, you need 45mm.

there are no alu diff cups either.

ta05 shock towers dunt fit cos evo3/tb02 towers are 2.5mm thick, ta05 ones are 3mm...

chin chin!

-alexander
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Wah kau, so many issues. Guess i just keep this car stock. Anyway it drifts well with the stock parts and set up. Maybe i'll just add bearings to the steering.

I have also heard that the diff screws break easily. May i know which manufacturer makes better diff screws? Part number? Does BK or Winnie stock this?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Wah kau, so many issues. Guess i just keep this car stock. Anyway it drifts well with the stock parts and set up. Maybe i'll just add bearings to the steering.
evoIII should already have bearings in the steering?

I have also heard that the diff screws break easily. May i know which manufacturer makes better diff screws? Part number? Does BK or Winnie stock this?
Don't overtighten and i've never broken a diffscrew in evoIII;
TB02 another story.

Balldiffs are NOT designed to be totally locked by simply tightening the screw.

Tamiya M2x25mm screws are easy to find spare; or HPI/HB diff screw is also M2x27mm.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 AM
WC
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
An EVO-IV spool bolts right in.
NO it does NOT unless you've used a crowbar to jam it in

EvoIII diffs are 22.5mm wide where the bearing sits

EvoIV spool is 24.0mm wide using metal TA05 outdrives.

Slightly narrower at 23.8mm using delrin 415 outdrives.

EvoIII diff/oneway fits into the evoIV only because of the stack of shims.

Evo5 has its own diff but uses same oneway with lots of shims.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
WC
Tech Master

Originally Posted by foampervert
ta05 shock towers dunt fit cos evo3/tb02 towers are 2.5mm thick, ta05 ones are 3mm...
why bother anyway? whats so good with TA05 CF towers?

EvoIII already got 2 types, standard & Surikarn CF towers.

mounting point on the gearbox is totally unique, no other type will fit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.