Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 12:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Well my Surikarn arrives tomorrow, anyone have any necissary building tips?
Old 09-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yeah, i've got one. it tells you that you must drill a 3mm hole in the steering knuckle (for ride height) before you screw in the set screw. make sure you do this. I tried to get by and just screw it in, but it ended up getting stuck halfway through. I had to pull it in a vice and unscew it that way. and they give you exactly enough set screws to do the job
Also, don't forget about thread lock - i seem to forget this step most of the time!!
have fun, it's a great kit to build!!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I usually dont use thread lock on electric cars, where do I need to use it on this car?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol, i thought the same exact thing. the front camber link kingpin that threads into the RED steering arm came unscrewed on me yesterday during a practice run. i thought that was kind of odd since electrics don't vibrate like nitro, but i guess it's better to be safe then sorry. i went back and put a little thread lock in everything that went to metal. maybe i just didn't tighten it enough, sure was weird though!!
one thing i've noticed about my car is that the steering arms EASILY pop off of the ball when i hit the wall. and these aren't blazing speed hits, just some run of the mill "oops, i turned too late" hits. although on one crash i did snap one of the kingpins (doh!) overall though the car runs great
Old 09-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
SpineX- I would be interested in seeing your setup for carpet. Are you talking about rubber or foam tires on carpet? Because I would like to note that if you are running foams on carpet, you run very little or no droop which will allow you to use some brakes without spinning the car out. However, assuming you are talking about mod foams on carpet, your best bet is to run a diff especially if the track is tight.
Hi....

No, I am racing rubber tires. It is at tight track but the oneway still works fine for me. No problems there. I know the oneway isn't a big advantage when racing a tight track, but if you can control it like a normal diff, I see no need to change it.

If you still want the setup sheet just tell me and I'll post a picture.

Take care
SSL
Old 09-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by hierog
question for you all..... this is a when i run my EVO and let off of the throttle, my car immediately turns to the left. could this be a weight distribution thing, or . . . .? i have set it up on a Hudy board and everything looks great. runs straight at full throttle, but as soon as i let off, immediate spin out!! any suggestions?
thanks
it may cause by a signal jam or some minor problem of the bearings on the left hand side. first lift the car and try let off the throttle, see if the servo have any unexpected action, if no, check the 4 bears in front and rear upright on the left see if they are smooth.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by hierog
lol, i thought the same exact thing. the front camber link kingpin that threads into the RED steering arm came unscrewed on me yesterday during a practice run. i thought that was kind of odd since electrics don't vibrate like nitro, but i guess it's better to be safe then sorry. i went back and put a little thread lock in everything that went to metal. maybe i just didn't tighten it enough, sure was weird though!!
one thing i've noticed about my car is that the steering arms EASILY pop off of the ball when i hit the wall. and these aren't blazing speed hits, just some run of the mill "oops, i turned too late" hits. although on one crash i did snap one of the kingpins (doh!) overall though the car runs great
I suggest you to unscrew the upperdeck after each run then redo it before a run. since the TB's chassis (no matter evo3S or evo3) is a bit "tweakful", so that will be good to redo the screwing after each run to re-shape the car. even the X-ray or the SD have the same issue.
I used to easily pop off the ball cup, untill I change them all into Tamiya floride coated ball and option low friction ball cups, they becomes firm. But if you still think it is a problem, change it all into Kyosho 4.3mm balls and ball caps, that balls were only an alloy ball, with a 3mm hole in the middle of it, you have to install it with a screw. the ball caps were "ring". I have tried many brands of similar products, I think the Kyosho made the best.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Randman
Well my Surikarn arrives tomorrow, anyone have any necissary building tips?
well is the evo III pink or red i see you have it pink in your listings
Old 09-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Randman
I usually dont use thread lock on electric cars, where do I need to use it on this car?
The only places you should threadlock is the four screws holding in the front one way gear and the universals. Don't use thread lock anywhere else or you may find your self in the thread "I stripped my screws, how do I get them out" hehe

Also, be careful when screwing in the countersunk Ti screws. These aren't exactly the hardest and you can booger the head easily.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

heirog - your spinout problem could just be a speed control with to much drag set in it(I'm assuming you're running the one-way). That combined with a loose setup will cause your car to spin off-throttle
Old 09-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

i agree about the use of thread lock. i only use the "blue" and on the evo, i only put a touch on since the vibration problem isn't nearly as bad as nitro
as far as the TI screws, i'll agree there too. I tweaked one of the hex heads already. pretty soft stuff, but well worth the tradeoff.
i've been meaning to check the esc brake, that was the first thing i meant to do today but i haven't gotten to it yet. the more i think about it, i bet that's what it is. well, hopefully that is what it is, something simple anyway!!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by Ko Racer
well is the evo III pink or red i see you have it pink in your listings
Red, I just forgot to change the text color.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by rtypec
The only places you should threadlock is the four screws holding in the front one way gear and the universals. Don't use thread lock anywhere else or you may find your self in the thread "I stripped my screws, how do I get them out" hehe

Also, be careful when screwing in the countersunk Ti screws. These aren't exactly the hardest and you can booger the head easily.
Cool, thanks for the tips Rod
Old 09-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Randy, if you aren't going to use the bearings that come with the Surikarn car...do you feel like selling them to me? lol. The infamous Tamiya blue bearings are some of the best in the industry. I don't know if you'd want to equip your evo with ceramics if you knew how good the ones that it came with are lol You just gotta blow the grease out of them and relube. Good stuff
Old 09-04-2003, 02:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you think I'll be ok with not busting any of the ceramic bearings, I'll sell the stock stuff, PM me and make an offer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.