Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Another 2 small matters ...

1. Is it normal that the spur gear (& the stuff attached to it) can move slightly forwards and backwards on the main shaft?

2. Is it normal that the steering system is free to move up and can even touch the main shaft?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I am building it the right way !
Old 07-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by GTMilenko
just wondering whats the theory behind this "toothpaste trick"?
i'm sure it works but how exactly?
what is it?!
Old 07-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Raikonnen
Another 2 small matters ...

1. Is it normal that the spur gear (& the stuff attached to it) can move slightly forwards and backwards on the main shaft?

2. Is it normal that the steering system is free to move up and can even touch the main shaft?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I am building it the right way !
for mine it's yes for both...unless mine isn't normal
Old 07-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, some movement is normal. Some have experienced a snug fit while others have a little slop.

No, make sure you install both A6 parts (plastic spacers) on top of the steering posts before you put the top deck on.

I hope this helps.

p.s. I've given up on "breaking in" my gears with toothpaste a long time ago. If you just take your time in the build/rebuild and lube the gears with whitelightning, clean/replace your bearings (blow out grease and relube with light oil if the bearings are new), your drivetrain should be free.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

p.s. I've given up on "breaking in" my gears with toothpaste a long time ago. If you just take your time in the build/rebuild and lube the gears with whitelightning, clean/replace your bearings (blow out grease and relube with light oil if the bearings are new), your drivetrain should be free.
RTYPEC, do you have a Surikarn edition? If not then you do not realise how critical it is to break in the gears on it with toothpaste, i built my Surikarn edition evo 3 the same as i did my normal evo 3 (that was very free when i first built it) and there was a big tight spot in the drivetrain. I then covered the front and rear gears with toothpaste and ran the car on the bench for 20 min with a old johnson 540 on 4 cells. Then i pulled the gears out of the gearbox's, cleaned them up, covered the gears in GT40 and put them back together and now the drivetrain is very free. Rick
Old 07-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

what extacly do you guys mean by breaking in? cuz my drive train isn't really really smooth
Old 07-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Rick Draper
RTYPEC, do you have a Surikarn edition? If not then you do not realise how critical it is to break in the gears on it with toothpaste, i built my Surikarn edition evo 3 the same as i did my normal evo 3 (that was very free when i first built it) and there was a big tight spot in the drivetrain. I then covered the front and rear gears with toothpaste and ran the car on the bench for 20 min with a old johnson 540 on 4 cells. Then i pulled the gears out of the gearbox's, cleaned them up, covered the gears in GT40 and put them back together and now the drivetrain is very free. Rick
are you sure it was the toothpaste? maybe it was just the fact that you ran it in for 20mins that free'd it up? i meen what can toothpaste do? seems crazy to me. whats the theory?
i'm not about to try it because my driveline is super free anyhow but i'd like to know why and how it works? if you don't mind sharing, thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default TCS EVO III asphalt setup

Hi guys!

I would like to find out what a good Evo III TCS setup for asphalt would be for the following setups

Shock Oil (front and rear)

Droop

Kick up

anti squat

wheel base

shock mounting postion top and bottom

sway bars

tires and inserts (Tamiya only tires) But any insert from any manufacture is fine

camber

caster

gearing (for a 14 turn mod)

toe in (front and rear)

ride height

roll center (camber link positions)

Thank you for responding
Old 07-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by GTMilenko
are you sure it was the toothpaste? maybe it was just the fact that you ran it in for 20mins that free'd it up? i meen what can toothpaste do? seems crazy to me. whats the theory?
i'm not about to try it because my driveline is super free anyhow but i'd like to know why and how it works? if you don't mind sharing, thanks
The tooth past trick only did a little bit, but it's helps. Toothpaste has gritty stuff in it so when you brush your teeth it polishes the yucky stuff off your teeth. When you put it on the gears and run it for about 1 hour on a old mabuchi or johnson silver can at 4 vlts it polishes the gears and wears them down a tad, so they free up a bit. Difuser is one of the top 5 best racers I know right now and him and peter have had alot of time on the evo 3 before they switched to yokomo. So I trust that they know what they are doing. Difuser was the one who told me about the toothpaste trick and it works. It gets the fine imperfections out of the gears. It doesn't get the big burs or anything out though. Try it after you get all the burs and big bid notchyness out of the gears. I also clean the bearings otu and put some light oil in and that helped alot. After I ran with him today at a local track my drivetrain is even freer after everything seated together and broke in more. Hope this helps a little bit.

-Sushi Boy
Old 07-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Rick, Rtypec is right. You do not need toothpaste on your gears. After running the drive train for about half a pack it won't make toothpaste or no toothpaste it will not matter. At the Reedy Race of Champions the TRF team was constantly rebuilding gear boxes and not once did they break out toothpaste.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

At the Reedy Race of Champions the TRF team was constantly rebuilding gear boxes and not once did they break out toothpaste.
But do you know if they are using the same sort of gears as come as STD in the kit? I know for a fact they .................................. Rick

Last edited by Rick Draper; 07-20-2003 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:54 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The TRF-Team drivers are using gearboxes made from same plastic as the reinforced suspension arms. But as I have heard from teamdrivers itīs not easy making the gearboxes using this plastic so only very few gearboxes are really OK after molding. So these gearboxes will not go into production for the public. As it seems to me there is no other way than buying Square gearboxes. I just have ordered some and I hope Iīll get them this week.

Regarding gears I never heard anything different than the kit ones but maybe itīs the same as with the gearboxes.
But there is an aluminium onewaygear available in Japan/HK. Unfortunately itīs very expensive and hard to get.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have seen some Red plastic bevel gears floating round! Rick
Old 07-20-2003, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

are the gears on the tb evo3 surikarn available in derlin? what about the crown gears?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

What are some of the best electronic speed controllers on the market at the moment?

What do you think of the Novak GT7 and LRP IPC V7.1 Digital Pro Speed Control? Others?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.